Handicap Caches

jkviz

Hey guys, I am fairly new to caching. I also have a handicapped daughter that would just love to go along on the "treasure hunts" I have found that its real difficult to determine whether a cache is accessible based off the website ;) If anyone knows of any caches in Northern IN, southbend area that are wheelchair friendly maybe you could send me a note to jeffkviz@yahoo.com Thanks for your input :D

Hello and Welcome to caching. My son has cerebral palsy and is physical not able to walk without assistance. We have made him an off-roading wagon and that seems to be the best way. I know most the ones we have found his wheelchair wouldn't make it.

The best advice is try ones that are 1/1 most those "should" be handicapped. If not make sure to let the owner of the cache know cause 1 should mean that.

I can't think of any certain ones to point out. There are a few here in Ft Wayne. One is at a local hospital and there is a path right up till it almost.

You might try

www.handicaching.com

It is a more detailed cache rating system for handicapped geocachers.

A cache owner in my area works with disabled individuals and has rated his caches with this system, and I am trying to get my own caches rated, I don't know how widespread the usage is, but maybe this will help.

You could also ask cachers in your area to rate their caches with www.handicaching.com

handicaching.com rates caches using more information so you can do a better job of determing if a cache is something you would like to tackle.

Usage is not universal but there is nothing better out there short of your best friend who has already found all the cache and can give you info first hand.

If your local cacher know that there are people who benifit from handicahing.com or who know your specific concerns they will probably start rating their own caches plus send you emails when they know a cache comes up that you guys would enjoy.

just a note on using the 1/1 rating as a guide -- a 1 terrain rating should mean handicapped accessible **if it's a new cache. They changed the rating system so that a 1* terrain should be reasonably handicapped accessible (in theory wheelchair accessible, but you never know). But, caches placed before the change likely weren't updated to the new rating system.

just a note on using the 1/1 rating as a guide -- a 1 terrain rating should mean handicapped accessible **if it's a new cache. They changed the rating system so that a 1* terrain should be reasonably handicapped accessible (in theory wheelchair accessible, but you never know). But, caches placed before the change likely weren't updated to the new rating system.

The working definition of 1 terrain is wheelchair assessable. Find difficulty doesn't directly relate to wheelchair assessable. In practice as you have noted, it varies widely.

144557657_420559bbd8.jpg

Here is a pic of Jeremiah's wagon. The base was from Menard's and it's a utility wagon (I think). So we bought some boards to build sides to make him feel secure. My grandfather works with wood and he made a seat with arms and back for the extra support. Later we have bought foam pads that goes under his bum and behind his back to help with the bumps. You could easily put a seatbelt on it to help with a child who has less control. I hope this helps. Good Luck finding what works best for you. I know Jeremiah loves his wagon.

Oh and Later we painted the wood with patio paint a bright red. I also found a place on the internet to by a sticker with the handicap sign so people can understand why he is in the wagon. Now it really looks great I think. But this is the clearest picture of it.

Thanks for the photo Katie. Its given me tons of ideas :anibad: From what I can tell it sounds as if your Jerimiah has similar mobility as Alexa does. She also has mild CP, and uses a walker for her main form of moving about. She dosnt have the endurance for long distances though. This wagon I think is the key.

Yes Jeremiah has mild CP as well. He uses a walker at school and sometimes crutches. He gets tired very quickly for long distances though. Just recently he has been able to walk while holding one hand very well too. He impressed us all last time he got his botox shots by walking unassisted 150 yards but hasn't done that since his botox has started to wear off.

We had a normal kids wagon but it just didn't cut the off-roading trips like this one. The rubber tires are key everyone kept telling us.

Oh, I can really understand where you are coming from. Alexa has had botox and also a selective dorsal rhizotomy. She has improved with leaps and bounds. She hasnt walked unassisted as far as Jeremiah has but has taken up to 7 steps. Seeing that for the first time brought tears to my eyes <_<

I was thinking about trying to design a way of mouning her walker to the wagon so she always has it with her when she wants to get out and walk around for a bit. She uses her crutches at school, but Im not sure how she would do on real uneven terrain. lol I am getting more excited about this then she is I think <_<

According to my son's physical therapist he is not a good candiate for the surgery. Who knows what life has in the future though. We found a great doctor here in Ft Wayne that puts Jeremiah to sleep when he gets botox. I wouldn't want to be awake for 18-22 shots either.

If she is good with the crutches they might be better. I know with Jeremiah's walker it just doesn't want to go on grass. Just try different things out and figure out what works best.

You can email me at dragons_luver@verizon.net if you ever want to chat. Nice to meet you.