Cd's As Swag

Buder

For reference: Quote from another topic about using a usb thumb drive in a multi cache puzzle.

I take one only when I'm way outside home territory, like on a trip. I would put a foreign pen drive in my machine, but you will find quite a few folks who wouldn't. I've seen it with home-burned CD's left for swag and floppies and stuff.

Actually, I might have a little bit of a qualm about moisture building up in the thing or something.

I hadn't throught there'd be concern about home burned CD's? Is there really that much of a concern? One of the things my husband and I were considering to create and leave as swag was cd's burned with photographs from our travels and the interesting sites we've seen. Nothing personal, just some great looking photographs. Would people like such things?

Well of course it wouldn't be copyrighted if its photo's we've taken. Such as our recent trip to Vienna Austria, we came back with over 700 digital photographs ranging from the horrible (which we'll keep to ourselves) to some really good shots (if I do say so myself). Some are of common touristy places well photographed, but others are not. I personally like looking at pictures of places I haven't been too to see if I want to go there or just for fun but maybe I'm unique that way. Would you grab a cd (or business card to a link to view online and/or download) of geocaching pics and/or travel pics?

They would have to be pretty bored to burn a bunch of CD'S with photographs and embed a virus into jpegs. If they were to do that they would have to embed EXIF viruses you can already store them in normal JPEG comment segments without the need for EXIF. there was a well known exploit of the microsoft "gdiplus.dll" library which made it possible to execute code of any length stored in jpeg comments with all priviledges... in general you can put code into any file. it's all down to the software environment dealing with the file if this code will be ignored or can be flourished. Would take to much time for a geocacher to waste there time on something like that.

I say go for it I think it would be a rather cool sig item.

A cache in our area requires you to play a game that someone had made for a puzzle cache. You borrow a cd of the game solve the mystery to get the cords and return the disk.

Forgot to mention if people in your area don't know you to well though you might want to slap a label on there of your geocaching name and what the cd contains. ;)

Edited by Mystery Ink

I found a cache containing CD with photos of the last big flood in Houston. My young daughter really wanted it so we swapped for it and talked about where we were on that day and identified the places in the pictures.

If the photos are good and well labeled then some people will be interested in it. Any personal narration of the photos would be better. One of the things I like about geocaching is the chance connections that happen. Crossing paths with someone else with a GPS in their hand and swapping stories, or finding some other small connection with a stranger.

I found a cache containing CD with photos of the last big flood in Houston. My young daughter really wanted it so we swapped for it and talked about where we were on that day and identified the places in the pictures.

If the photos are good and well labeled then some people will be interested in it. Any personal narration of the photos would be better. One of the things I like about geocaching is the chance connections that happen. Crossing paths with someone else with a GPS in their hand and swapping stories, or finding some other small connection with a stranger.

I agree maybe add a little html page so it's an offline page and tell people about the photo's of your adventures.

If you decide to make one I am interested in a swap. ;)

My $.02 on it.... There is a local cacher who does indeed use copyrighted material....some of the oddest mixes ever. There were 70's TV theme songs, old 60's and 70's advertisements/jingles, etc... I hadn't heard this stuff in 30+ years. I was laughing so hard listening one day on the way into work that I nearly wrecked my vehicle because my eyes were watering so much.

I understand indeed the impropriety of copyrighted material being copied for personal use and distribution, but where else am I going to hear a bunch of raucous kids in the 70's singing about the praises of Armour Hot Dogs and how "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Almond Joy's have nuts. Mounds don't". Yes... hilarious. I'm over it now, and it was one of the most unique cache trades ever. Do I regret partaking of this "misappropriated material"? Nope.

It's a Catch-22. I might take a burned music CD, because in a dedicated CD player it can't do any damage. But most likely it's illegal, due to copyright issues. And a CD of pictures you've taken, while it doesn't violate copyright laws, I wouldn't put it in my computer's CD drive for fear of it containing malicious code.

What is the big deal? Just turn off the auto run feature if you are using windows. You can then safely browse a CD. I like the idea of making an off line web page.

I'm all for burned CDs pirated or otherwise. If someone turns me one to a band I wouldn't have otherwise considered - I'll but there stuff.

For reference: Quote from another topic about using a usb thumb drive in a multi cache puzzle.

I take one only when I'm way outside home territory, like on a trip. I would put a foreign pen drive in my machine, but you will find quite a few folks who wouldn't. I've seen it with home-burned CD's left for swag and floppies and stuff.

Actually, I might have a little bit of a qualm about moisture building up in the thing or something.

I hadn't throught there'd be concern about home burned CD's? Is there really that much of a concern? One of the things my husband and I were considering to create and leave as swag was cd's burned with photographs from our travels and the interesting sites we've seen. Nothing personal, just some great looking photographs. Would people like such things?

Place the original in cache and keep as many copies as you wish :anibad: no problem :blink:

We have thought about doing the same thing with pictures on a CD. We were going to put them into a slide show/web page that also includes links to local websites on tourism and special events. My only problem is that most of the caches in this area cannot accept a regular CD because they are jugs. Mini CDs might be our solution.