How Far Is Far Enough?

Team_Tramper

This will probably be a heated debate but hey, I NEED to know <_<

I dont know Pretoria very well as Ive only recently moved here and finding the caches is certainly helping but,

because I dont know the area very well I cant plan off a map. I drive around an area that looks promising and then discover to my dismay that there are already one, two or three caches in that area.

So the question is, "how far away is far enough?????????"

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tramper

I see no problem.... So in a one kilometer radius of the 1st cache you can place another 244 with a goodly half a meter free between 160m cache radius boundries...

Hmmm... How many caches can we legally fit in SA.... <_<

Geocaching.com has a very clear guideline that states no cache may be within 0.1 miles or 160 meters of each other. It won't even be approved.

So apply and see.

I did!!!

It was!!!

Only because the other cache was a mystery cache. The approvers have to keep the coordinates for multiple and mystery caches in their own private database, so they'll not always pick up the fact that you have placed the cache too close to another. As Noddy said, the guideline is 0.1 mile.

Only because the other cache was a mystery cache. The approvers have to keep the coordinates for multiple and mystery caches in their own private database, so they'll not always pick up the fact that you have placed the cache too close to another. As Noddy said, the guideline is 0.1 mile.

Yes thats true GR, and thanks for pointing it out to Eric.

What I was actually asking for though, was an opinion and not a quote from the rule book.

Take care and happy caching :o

Ahh, an opinion. Theres a thing!

In my opinion, if a cache is close enough to encroach upon the reason for an existying cache, ts too close. For example, say a cache was placed in a lovely park, in order to intrduce this to the community, there might be lots of room for more caches in that park, but puting more caches there could be considered "poaching", unless there is a good reason to put one there, like a specific interesting part of the park which might be missed by the first cache, or even possibly it was the only handy place for a really ingenious multi etc.

Of course, with the current rate of cache placement, it might be that we might have to start doubling up on areas of placement anyway.