Micro Sd Cards For Garming 60CSx

1 GB is currently the largest available, and a lot of folks here are using that size. The limitation currently seems to be more the number of maps that can be loaded......... 2025!

Rick

I use a 1gb also. It loads all the maps from Texas east. The maps go on fairly quickly with a card reader

You reach the 2025 limit quickly if you're loading the topo map. That mapset has small segments.

I was just working with my TOPO set, and I figure it will take 4 SD card to have the entire 48 continental US loaded on them. The US East has 2565 maps using only 658 MB, and the US West has 5187 using 1.509 GB

If it was not for the 2025 limit, you could get it all on 2 cards

You reach the 2025 limit quickly if you're loading the topo map. That mapset has small segments.

I was just working with my TOPO set, and I figure it will take 4 SD card to have the entire 48 continental US loaded on them. The US East has 2565 maps using only 658 MB, and the US West has 5187 using 1.509 GB

Could you load the map segments in two or more map files on the card to get past the 2025 limit? Or does MapSource just overwrite the data each time?

Could you load the map segments in two or more map files on the card to get past the 2025 limit? Or does MapSource just overwrite the data each time?

I have both City Select 6.0 and City Navigator 8.0 NT on my computer.

The lower 48 takes 1.2 Gb on 6.0

While NT 8.0 taks only 0.79 Gb.

Anyone know why?

better compression (seriously). I think that was what the NT designation is. e.g. City Nav is avail in NT and 'regular'. (there are a few other posts on this)

There may be a way, but it's not ideal. A map set seems to be placed in one file under the 'Garmin' subdirectory on the card, as can be seen via the Mass Storage feature of the 60CSx. Thus, after a transfer, you could rename the subdirectory (e.g., 'Garmin1', 'Garmin2', etc.). In this way, there could be multiple subdirectories for map sets, with the current active set named 'Garmin'. To switch to another map set, you'd have to rename its subdirectory to 'Garmin'. This requires a PC connection, which is why it's not ideal. Still, at least this is a way to use the full card capacity.

I'm using a 2 GB card, which is the largest available today, but found that the 2025-tile restriction limited transfers of MapSource US Topo (west) to about 470 MB per map set. I also contacted Garmin to see if there are any workarounds, but they only reiterated the issue and agreed to consider a solution for the future.

Edited by extremist