60csx Track Log Strangeness

Background:

I was recently on a combined car/hike adventure in the Paiute mountains between the Mojave desert and Tehachapi, CA. I had my 60CSX along with me and had enabled the track log at the beginning of the daylong trip, storing the log on the 512MB microSD card.

Here's the issue...

Part of the day included a couple of hikes off the road. When I got home and downloaded the track log to Mapsource (and NG Topo) one of the off-road hiking segments was missing, the second one was shown in the track log. I finished with the track downloading and removed the track logs from the 60CSX. I then took the microSD card out of the 60CSX and plugged it into the card reader on my PC. The raw track log data was still there in the form of a file named "20060429.gpx" (the filename corresponds to the date of the track log) - it hadn't been deleted even though the logs were no longer visible on the 60CSX. I copied this file to my PC and imported into MapSource and there was the entire track, including the missing off-road hike segment.

I originally thought that this was caused by my not having disabled "Lock on Road". But then I realized that the second off-road hiking segment had not dissappeared from the track I originally downloaded.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas why this might be happening?

I'm using the 2.62 Beta SW from Garmin.

TM

The track log on the data card is separate from the track log in the internal memory. They each work independent of one another. You hcan have them both turned on together, both turned off at the same time, or you can enable one or the other.

So it is possible - for whatever reason - for the tracks to be on the data card in the .gpx file, and not show up in the download from the unit's internal memory. Is it possible that the internal memory tracking was somehow turned off?

I haven't ever heard of someone's internal tracking not working intermittently...

The track log on the data card is separate from the track log in the internal memory. They each work independent of one another. You hcan have them both turned on together, both turned off at the same time, or you can enable one or the other.

So it is possible - for whatever reason - for the tracks to be on the data card in the .gpx file, and not show up in the download from the unit's internal memory. Is it possible that the internal memory tracking was somehow turned off?

I haven't ever heard of someone's internal tracking not working intermittently...

I don't understand this. There is no setting I can discern that allows independent viewing or configuration of internal track logs -vs- external track logs. There is only a Track Log screen with a settings button. There used to be a specific setting to enable track logs to be stored on the external card, but since upgrading to SW version 2.7, I can't seem to find it.

I don't understand this. There is no setting I can discern that allows independent viewing or configuration of internal track logs -vs- external track logs. There is only a Track Log screen with a settings button. There used to be a specific setting to enable track logs to be stored on the external card, but since upgrading to SW version 2.7, I can't seem to find it.

Yup. For whatever reason, Garmin took that feature away in the new firmware update. Many are writing to Garmin to voice their complaints. I advise you to do the same. In the mean time, you can roll-back to 2.62Beta if you need that feature... ;)

Here is a possible scenario: (1) turn on "save track to data card" (2) take a hike - track is saved to internal memory and to data card; (3) clear (internal memory): internal memory is now at 0% but data card retains track from hike; (4) continue hike- internal memory only holds track of hike 2 only, but track on data card is complete.

Yup. For whatever reason, Garmin took that feature away in the new firmware update. Many are writing to Garmin to voice their complaints. I advise you to do the same. In the mean time, you can roll-back to 2.62Beta if you need that feature... :anibad:

Perhaps this is a glitch that still exists in the save tracklog to card feature and is why it was not included in the 2.70 release. That's why they call it BETA.

Edited by dumketu

Perhaps this is a glitch that still exists in the save tracklog to card feature and is why it was not included in the 2.70 release. That's why they call it BETA.

His problem was with the internal memory track log. The track log on the data card worked.

"I then took the microSD card out of the 60CSX and plugged it into the card reader on my PC. The raw track log data was still there in the form of a file named "20060429.gpx" (the filename corresponds to the date of the track log) - it hadn't been deleted even though the logs were no longer visible on the 60CSX. I copied this file to my PC and imported into MapSource and there was the entire track, including the missing off-road hike segment."

Here is a possible scenario: (1) turn on "save track to data card" (2) take a hike - track is saved to internal memory and to data card; (3) clear (internal memory): internal memory is now at 0% but data card retains track from hike; (4) continue hike- internal memory only holds track of hike 2 only, but track on data card is complete.

I thought of that - maybe I hit the wrong button at some point, but the track prior to the missing off-road segment and the track after the missing segment were intact on the internal memory log. It's like the off-road segment never happened for the internal log. Twilight Zone material...

His problem was with the internal memory track log. The track log on the data card worked.

Here is an image of the track log as it came from the 60CSX internal memory into NG Topo:

6rr2bevdsn.jpg

Here is an image of the track log as it came from the memory card into MapSource:

chacoljymq.jpg

Pay no attention to the renamed or missing waypoints.

So the missing part of the tracklog in the internal memory is the very beginning. Suggests that either the internal tracklogging didn't get turned on right away or that the unit ran out of room and started overwriting the early parts of the log.

So the missing part of the tracklog in the internal memory is the very beginning. Suggests that either the internal tracklogging didn't get turned on right away or that the unit ran out of room and started overwriting the early parts of the log.

That's a good observation. Check the number of trackpoints in the log from the unit's internal memory. If it's 10000 (I don't remember the exact value), the earlier part must have been overwritten.

That's a good observation. Check the number of trackpoints in the log from the unit's internal memory. If it's 10000 (I don't remember the exact value), the earlier part must have been overwritten.

I didn't realize that the tracklog on the data card could exceed the 10000 limit. That IS a good feature.

Perhaps in the process of making the GPS write to both the card and internal memory, they could have inadvertantly screwed up something in the way it writes to memory. I'll bet we see a 2.7x beta soon or another update that includes this new feature if they sort out all the issues.

Brian

Edited by dumketu

No, I removed the first and last parts of the track log in MapSource for purposes of hilighting the offending area. This section of the track log was squarely in the middle of the 6-hour long >100 mile track.

TM