Starting A Travel Bug

Dragonfly19

Hi! My husband and I are newbies and I want to start a Travel Bug. I have a little teddy bear who is all ready to go traveling, but we're not sure how to start this. Do I put her in a box of her own and start it as a new cache, or can I put her in a plastic bag and put her in an existing cache? :rolleyes:

You can do either....

Once it is activated, you can either hide a new cache starting it there or go to the closest local cache(even if you have been there) to drop it off on its journey...

I placed my first one in a cache 83 miles from me so my tracking mileage wont be right. Next one was placed 1/2 mile from me to a more precise tracking mileage.

So it doesn't have to be in a separate box by itself? It can go into an existing cache? :P

YES or you can creat a new cache of your own -- either way. Just be sure to log your visit to the cache. If it is one you've already found, just log your visit with a note. Oh, don't forget to activate your TB tag first!

One other thought - you said it was a small teddy bear -- you might want to consider putting it in a ziplock bag. Depending on where it travels, it might find it's way into a damp area, and, well - to be honest, not all caches are spotless inside! <_< leaves, dirt, etc find their way into caches, and if you'd like your teddy bear to stay relatively nice, you might want to give him/her some protection.

Depending on your "goal" for your travel bug, you might also want to give it a mission sheet (on the TB page for you bug, you can click "print bug sheet" and it will print the entire page, OR, you can just type up something your self - whatever you'd prefer). The more specific your goal and the more you want it to stick to that goal, the more important it is to warn finders of what the bear is trying to do. A lot of my TB's have the goal of "to move around and go to caches" -- I'm a bit lax on giving them info sheets. :mad: However, I've found that my TB's with tags move a lot faster than my ones without them - even if the goal is identical.