V. 2.70 For 60csx

Please stop discussing WAAS in this thread!!!

If you get a solid bar for WAAS bird or not, do not have anything with what firmware you are using.

The WAAS satellite can send signal in several modus, at least 3

1 sending only that it is there.

You get a “hollow bar” no “D”

2 sending correction signals

You get a “hollow bar” and “D” in the other satellite bars

3 sending correction signals and position data

You get a “solid bar” and “D” in all bars (including the WAAS bar)

Here in Europe bird #33 is changing this mode up to several times a day. Engos is still in test phase.

More info here:

http://ravel.esrin.esa.it/docs/egnos/estb/schedule.htm

Back to the topic at hand, I don't seem to remember seeing the 60CSx showing the GPS elevation option before, but if you're in the satellite screen and press menu you'll see "GPS Elevation" now.

Sorry, I just checked the manual and this has always been there. I thought perhaps this was a new feature.

Edited by nathantw

If you get a solid bar for WAAS bird or not, do not have anything with what firmware you are using.

The WAAS satellite can send signal in several modus, at least 3

1 sending only that it is there.

You get a “hollow bar” no “D”

2 sending correction signals

You get a “hollow bar” and “D” in the other satellite bars

3 sending correction signals and position data

You get a “solid bar” and “D” in all bars (including the WAAS bar)

Here in Europe bird #33 is changing this mode up to several times a day. Engos is still in test phase.

More info here:

http://ravel.esrin.esa.it/docs/egnos/estb/schedule.htm

THANK YOU!

>>I'm saddened they removed the save track to card feature. Really wanted to use that.

I want the autosave track to card feature, too.

I will still use 2.62 because the saved tracks on the mSD card are really important for me.

Any ideas why the did remove this feature!

<_<:mad::mad::mad:

>>I'm saddened they removed the save track to card feature. Really wanted to use that.

I will still use 2.62 because the saved tracks on the mSD card are really important for me.

Yes.

Because it is Beta-Software, and 2.70 is not an Upgrade from 2.62, but from 2.60.

Beta-Software is there to test new features, and I'm happy they offer this possibilty to customers at the end.

However, the track to card feature needs still some work as others have already mentioned (e.g. it should not be necessary to remove the card from the unit to get the logfile to PC), so they will offer it in a later "official" firmware.

Possibly they will offer also a new Beta with the above fixes AND the track to card feature in the next days or weeks.

I confess, I removed 2.62 after a week or so, because it was to buggy for my daily work, and used 2.60 again.

I'm really happy about the 2.70, because it solves my main problem, and I'm sure the track to card feature will appear sooner or later in an official (non Beta) firmware update.

Improve stability when using Lithium Ion Battery.

Sadly, 2.70 does not fix the Lithium battery overvoltage problem.

They have added a "Lithium Ion" setting to the battery options. If you have the battery option set to the "Alkaline" or "NiMH" option then the previous "overvoltage fade" shutoff still occurs with Lithium batteries. If you set it to the new "Lithium Ion" option then it won't turn on at all with Lithiums installed. (Strangely, it did turn on in the "Lithium Ion" setting when I reinstalled NiMHs; good thing too, otherwise I really would have been screwed!)

As far as I know, there are no Lithium Ion batteries in an AA package, and Garmin has never even hinted that these GPSr's can be used with Lithium Ions, so I'm not sure where they are going with this.

<_<:mad:B):mad:

Yes.

Because it is Beta-Software, and 2.70 is not an Upgrade from 2.62, but from 2.60.

Beta-Software is there to test new features, and I'm happy they offer this possibilty to customers at the end.

However, the track to card feature needs still some work as others have already mentioned (e.g. it should not be necessary to remove the card from the unit to get the logfile to PC), so they will offer it in a later "official" firmware.

Possibly they will offer also a new Beta with the above fixes AND the track to card feature in the next days or weeks.

I confess, I removed 2.62 after a week or so, because it was to buggy for my daily work, and used 2.60 again.

I'm really happy about the 2.70, because it solves my main problem, and I'm sure the track to card feature will appear sooner or later in an official (non Beta) firmware update.

The autolog to microSD was really great.

So a firmware 2.72 with this option would make me happy :mad::mad::mad:

If anybody else is missing the autolog to mSD funktion - please email to garmin. THANK YOU!

Okay, here's a report about the actual firmware fix.

I upgraded and decided to check out the WAAS/Satellite problem. I put a route while in an underground garage (no signal). When I got to the street it got a signal (78 feet) and then went on my merry way. I made it recalc and while sitting at a stop light the satellite signal dropped. I had to turn the unit off then back on. .....

I had a similar problem with my 60cx after upgrading to 2.70. I had a clear view of the sky, was waiting to acquire (3 solid bars showing), then nothing... all bars disappeared and I got the "Weak Signal" message! I waited and it eventually seemed to start acquiring again. I haven't seen behaviour like that since using my old Etrex in heavy tree cover! I notice the bars seem to jump around (come and go) more often than they did with ver. 2.62. Anybody else notice this behaviour?

I've switched back to the beta because I miss the track to card option... but it wiped all my waypoints and my custom icons when I reloaded the beta!!

As far as I know, there are no Lithium Ion batteries in an AA package, and Garmin has never even hinted that these GPSr's can be used with Lithium Ions, so I'm not sure where they are going with this.

I agree.

Does somebody know about a rechargable Li-ION AA cell ? And how should that work, because as far as I know they would have 3.2 Volt output instead of 1.2 like the NiMH's or 1.5 like the Alkalines.

What do I miss here ?

Yes.

This is not normal the way Garmin do it.

If you look at the history, most of the new feature added in beta software, is added in the next main release.

Its the first time I see that Garmin actually has removed something like this. (Has worked with Garmin GPS for several years)

Vista CX and Legend CX got this log to Datacard feature

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:

* Improve path nighttime color for map Topo Great Britian v2.

* Add feature to save active track log to file on data card.

* Enhance layout and functionality of tide station chart information.

* Add new time zones for major cities in the U.S. and Europe.

* Fix UTC offset for Las Vegas time zone.

* Improve reset function of timer lap distance.

gpsmap60csx does not have this feature in 2.70

curious <_<

Improve stability when using Lithium Ion Battery.

Garmin does more than hint about it in the manual, they suggest the use of lithium batteries in below freezing weather.

The autolog to microSD was really great.

So a firmware 2.72 with this option would make me happy :mad::mad:<_<

If anybody else is missing the autolog to mSD funktion - please email to garmin. THANK YOU!

I think a function that dumps your tracklog to an gpx-file by reaching the 10.000-point-limit would be better. It will save more battery-life. A manual save-to-card-feature would be great to.

Actually, some of my POIs are created with Mapsourse and some with GSAK. None of them will show a label. I have the 60CSX. Since you have the CX, has anyone with the CSX get the labels on the POI icons?

Interesting, I have gpx files, custom icons (still looking for more choices if anyone has suggestions), and comments. It does not work for me. It does not show the name. I did the screen capture but can't figure out how to insert it into my post. (It asks me for a link when I select insert imiage).

I have a 1 gig card, 23 gpx files with a total of 4,700 POIs. I've tried more detail, most detail and nothing shows up. Actually I have some with custom icon and some without them and it does not work for any of them. I have City Select V7 and I tried hiding it and looking on topo east and no maps at all. Nothing I have tried will work.

I create my GPX files by creating them in MapSource and then saving them as a GPX file.

I am in IL (by St. Louis) and I have not been able to get anything for WAAS. I am going to let it run all night and see what shows up.

How were your .gpx files created? I'm thinkin' that if they were created and saved in MapSource, then it'll work...

Just a hunch.

...Oh - and BTW - I'm using a 60Cx

Edited by myotis

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Before the firmware update the 60Cx would not get a solid bar. After the firmware update, it will. The firmware has corrected a problem with the WAAS lock.

Do you ever get just 35 showing? And, when it alone is showing, do you get it showing in the SW and get D's?

Yes. The trick is this......

You NEED to see and hold 47 (or most likely any normal WAAS bird) for long enough for the almanac to load. Next move so that you lose the 47 signal and then 35 will show as a solid bar by itself and maintain the "D"s with the lcoation correct on the screen. For whatever reason, it will NEVER try and hold two WAAS signals at once.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Before the firmware update the 60Cx would not get a solid bar. After the firmware update, it will. The firmware has corrected a problem with the WAAS lock.

I am not wrong at all, but yes, there may have been a problem with the firmware too.

But as long as WAAS and Egnos is not in a permanent stable status, you may see all of the above status, even in one and same day. Look at the link I added.

Actually, some of my POIs are created with Mapsourse and some with GSAK. None of them will show a label. I have the 60CSX. Since you have the CX, has anyone with the CSX get the labels on the POI icons?

Mine is working. And I have a 60csx.

I created the poi file in excel using

Long, Lat, Name, Comment

column headings then exported it to csv.

As long as you have a csv, or gpx file with a properly sized bitmap with the same name, in the same directory, it should load up and work fine.

You can use my files as examples if you would like, it will give you all of the AlphaGraphics Stores (my employer) in the us, uk, and brazil... Not that you really want that, but you can test the icons (which is included)

AlphaGraphics POI

Edited by kgag

I am not wrong at all, but yes, there may have been a problem with the firmware too.

But as long as WAAS and Egnos is not in a permanent stable status, you may see all of the above status, even in one and same day. Look at the link I added.

How about YOU read what I have written......

I have been discussing satellite #47 which has never moved and has been fully operational at all times. Before the firmware update, it would only show a hollow bar on 47. Now it goes solid.

I own two other GPSr units so understand what "should" be seen. I also VERY CLEARLY understand what is happening with the WAAS satellites.

THIS THREAD is about changes from the firmware, which is what I am discussing.

I removed all my POIs and loaded yours and it did not work. I see the POI and the AG graphic, but when I put the cursor over it, the name does not show up (unless I look at it via the find). Once again, I have the 60CSX and a 1 gig card. So if those files work on yours and not mine, the issue must be somethign other than the file.

Mine is working. And I have a 60csx.

I created the poi file in excel using

Long, Lat, Name, Comment

column headings then exported it to csv.

As long as you have a csv, or gpx file with a properly sized bitmap with the same name, in the same directory, it should load up and work fine.

You can use my files as examples if you would like, it will give you all of the AlphaGraphics Stores (my employer) in the us, uk, and brazil... Not that you really want that, but you can test the icons (which is included)

AlphaGraphics POI

I removed all my POIs and loaded yours and it did not work. I see the POI and the AG graphic, but when I put the cursor over it, the name does not show up (unless I look at it via the find). Once again, I have the 60CSX and a 1 gig card. So if those files work on yours and not mine, the issue must be somethign other than the file.

You know what after your post I just browsed through the map to look and you are right it shows the POI (in this case the ag) icon at 500 feet or so but highlighting it does not do anything.

I apologize I was doing it the other way before where I was choosing a custom poi and then saying go to on map and it was showing the icon and the name...

So mine is not working in the way you describe.... which is actually ideal for me because I want to be able to find these stores but will always use the find custom poi closest feature. I don't want them just showing on the map... (I like my job but not that much.)

But hey look at the bright side if you ever need any color copies, you now have 250 spots to get them done.

Thanks,

kg.

I think there were two different versions of POI Loader. I've got v2.0 at work and not sure what's at home and I'm not sure which computer I last used to load the POIs <_<

EDIT: Actually, the filename I have is "POILoader_20.exe" which I assumed to be 2.0. The current file download is also named "POILoader_20.exe". I think I'm using 2.2.1.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Yes. The trick is this......

You NEED to see and hold 47 (or most likely any normal WAAS bird) for long enough for the almanac to load. Next move so that you lose the 47 signal and then 35 will show as a solid bar by itself and maintain the "D"s with the lcoation correct on the screen. For whatever reason, it will NEVER try and hold two WAAS signals at once.

Thanks Red. I've never seen 47 from this location.

Whether WAAS SVs can offer ranging and correction data, one or the other, or nothing is besides the point. The "x" series are having some pretty frustrating examples of their inability to use this data and recognize the SVs in their appropriate location. And if PRN 35 is the only WAAS SV visible to your location, which is pretty much the central time zone of the US, then that one satellite becomes pretty important.

I've been unable to get PRN 35 to "move" to it's appropriate location in the SW. I parked my car facing that way this morning - let's see if a nice long "soak" helps it to absorb the WAAS almanac.

Whether WAAS SVs can offer ranging and correction data, one or the other, or nothing is besides the point. The "x" series are having some pretty frustrating examples of their inability to use this data and recognize the SVs in their appropriate location. And if PRN 35 is the only WAAS SV visible to your location, which is pretty much the central time zone of the US, then that one satellite becomes pretty important.

I've been unable to get PRN 35 to "move" to it's appropriate location in the SW. I parked my car facing that way this morning - let's see if a nice long "soak" helps it to absorb the WAAS almanac.

You will be wasting your time. The SiRF models initially ignore 35 because it is not where they "think" it is; they need to receive updated almanac data for 35 from another WAAS satellite such as 47 before they will use data from 35. It is very disappointing that Garmin didn't (or couldn't) at least update the GPSr's built-in alamanac data for 35 (its not like its going anywhere now). It seems like such a simple change I am thinking that it may be inherent to the SiRF chip.

For people with the latest models (with GPS SW Version 2.5): If you can see 35, see if it initially shows at the old position or the new (this test is best done by someone who can't see 47 or any of the other WAAS satellites).

Garmin does more than hint about it in the manual, they suggest the use of lithium batteries in below freezing weather.

No; those are "lithium" AA batteries, made only by Energizer as far as I know, and in most cases can be used in place of regular AA's (but with a slightly higher initial voltage, which has been causing problems with the 60 and 76 "X" models. "Lithium ion" batteries are an entirely different animal. An easy point of confusion - and one Garmin may have fallen into, unless they are really now providing the capability of working with lithium ions.

Fix track log time stamps.

Has anyone figured out what problem they fixed here? I didn't know there was a problem!

Hmmm, maybe related to the timestamps going backwards in time when the elevation ----- issue would occur? Here's a post on it: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...c=129478&st=44#

Perhaps this was actually a distinct problem, apart from when it occurred when the altimeter would go screwy...

You will be wasting your time. The SiRF models initially ignore 35 because it is not where they "think" it is; they need to receive updated almanac data for 35 from another WAAS satellite such as 47 before they will use data from 35. It is very disappointing that Garmin didn't (or couldn't) at least update the GPSr's built-in alamanac data for 35 (its not like its going anywhere now). It seems like such a simple change I am thinking that it may be inherent to the SiRF chip.

For people with the latest models (with GPS SW Version 2.5): If you can see 35, see if it initially shows at the old position or the new (this test is best done by someone who can't see 47 or any of the other WAAS satellites).

Hi,

I have a 60cx, gps sw version 2.30. There was a week, maybe 10 day period where I had 'D's on my bars, and a hollow bar for 35. The sat showed up in the SW. Before that period, it showed up in the SE. After that period where I had 'D's it is back to the SE, hollow, and I haven't had 'D's since then.

I am a bit curious as to exactly what is meant in the 2.70 readme, line item

14. Improve WAAS satellite functionality.

ah well. Overall, the unit works great.

EDIT: Add Location (near Minneapolis, MN)

Edited by drbugs

As far as I'm concerned the "save track to card" was essentially meaningless anyway: it only provides value to those saving more than 10,000 points between PC hookups. Garmin really needs to incorporate functionalitythat USES the tracks saved to the card (view on map, upload from Mapsource, change color, etc.) If they did that it would be a winner. Maybe they pulled it with plans to incorporate a robust version later. Let's hope so.

Track logs in excess of 10000 points aren't necessarily rare. I was recently on a daylong excursion and had my 60CSX set to log track data to the microSD data card. On that ~6 hour trip of 108 miles - mostly auto travel with some hiking - the track log stored on the data card had more than 13000 track points.

TM

Well always glad to have updates hope another one comes soon. The only time I get #47 is for about 10 seconds then it's a hollow bar then disapears comes it finds it after about 10 more minutes gets a sliver of a filled bar then drops again. And it's clear skies here in Sunny California. I seem to be picking up less satellite's after this update before the update I always had satellites across the screen and didn't pickup as bad of a signal as I am now. However at least my batteries aren't getting drained as fast as they were guess it's one of those give and take relationships. ;)

Never had problems with #47 before.

Hmmm now #35 wants to come out and play and it's sitting at full signal ugh.

Took almost a half an hour for me to get a actual WAAS signal.

Edited by Mystery Ink

OK, screenshots. These are from inside my office with the internal antenna, thus the weak signals (normally I would have 2 to 3m accuracy outside). As stated, I need to hold 47 for a while first before 35 will work. after that they switch easily between the two.

This is a 60Cx with SW version 4.70, GPS SW 4.40

wass60cx47.jpgwass60cx.jpg

Edited by Red90

Im using a Cx as well. I just don't like seeing the kind of sats I am getting.

This what Im getting while Acquiring

sats.jpg

and this is after it settles out for a few minutes it always had a strong signal where it's sitting at before the update.

satsnow.jpg

Thats sad.

Edited by Mystery Ink

Ok I will post a screenshot as well, because I have never even seen 35 lock before and I find it interesting that it finally has... And because it was not easy for me to get the screenshot while driving on the freeway...

The way that it ended up going I turned on the gps I saw 47 for about 5 mins, and then it went away and 35 locked and stayed locked. Not sure if I was getting correct WAAS info (in fact my accuracy got worst). I have never really got more than 13 feet or so of accuracy.......

gps.JPG

Maybe one of the of WAAS experts can help me figure out how to best load an alamanc, etc. Do I need to do a reset??? Or just leaving it on now that I am getting WAAS sats good enough?

EDIT - Oh by the way I am located in Bountiful UT. Northern Utah.

Thanks

kgag.

Edited by kgag

Has anyone figured out what problem they fixed here? I didn't know there was a problem!

Hmmm, maybe related to the timestamps going backwards in time when the elevation ----- issue would occur? Here's a post on it: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...c=129478&st=44#

Perhaps this was actually a distinct problem, apart from when it occurred when the altimeter would go screwy...

That was my thought also, and it may be the case. However, now that I am looking, I see that 24 out of the 30 active track logs I've generated since updating have a "retrograde" time for the final track point! (But at least no elevation anomolies). Looking at the 25 track logs prior to upgrading, none had a retrograde time (but 6 were single point tracklogs with a bad elevation). It looks like they may have fixed the bad elevation problem, but introduced a new problem in doing so!

That was my thought also, and it may be the case. However, now that I am looking, I see that 24 out of the 30 active track logs I've generated since updating have a "retrograde" time for the final track point! (But at least no elevation anomolies). Looking at the 25 track logs prior to upgrading, none had a retrograde time (but 6 were single point tracklogs with a bad elevation). It looks like they may have fixed the bad elevation problem, but introduced a new problem in doing so!

Interesting. I had seen this retrograde time in conjunction with the elevation problem in the old firmware. I no longer have the elevation problem, and since you mentined it I went back and ran a quick track log and sure enough, there it was. Interestingly, the last point was just prior to the time stamp of the first point. This was a single track log, so I don't know what it would have done with multiple tracks in the log.

Brian

Brian

Edited by dumketu

I just noticed after the firmware upgrade to 2.70 (didn't have this 'problem' before) that when going to the diagnostics page on the 60CSx (Go to the trip computer and press 'up', 'right', 'down', 'left' in that order) then go to the stack, all the numbers of memory handles were set to zero. Anyone know what this means.

Obviously, this really isn't a glitch that affects me in any way, just wondering if anyone knew what was up with this :o

Here is some more info on the retrograde time...

I conducted a little experiment after downloading the 2.71 beta which allowed me to save tracklogs onto the SD card. I made the unit record three tracks by either turning off the unit or obscuring the signal. Conclusion - there were some notable differences between the two logs, which I discuss below.

Track log 1 - This log was created by turning on the unit, walking around the yard and turning off the unit again. The track log from the GPS memory had 16 points and the one from the SD card had 14 points. The first 14 points were basically identical, but the gps memory had a 15th point a few seconds later. The last point on GPS memory log had the retrograde time stamp.

Track log 2 - Created by turning on the unit, walking around the yard and then going inside to block the signal (in the inside room of a 2 story house, I had to sit on the unit to get it to loose the signal). This time I had 15 points on the SD card and 16 on the GPS memory. The GPS memory simply had one extra point a few seconds later, but this time no retrograde time.

Track log 3 - Created by walking back outside and regaining the signal walking around the yard and turning off the unit. This time there were 6 points on the SD card and 8 on the GPS memory. The GPS memory had one extra point a few seconds after the last one on the SD card, plus the retrograde time point.

Additionally, for corresponding points on the SD card and GPS memory the coordinates were identical, but the elevation varied between the two from 0 to 2 feet.

This is probably why the save to SD card feature is still in the BETA version and not the 2.70.

Brian

Edited by dumketu

Additionally, for corresponding points on the SD card and GPS memory the coordinates were identical, but the elevation varied between the two from 0 to 2 feet.

Interesting results. You might see some variation in the lat/lon data as well if you look at the data in something like G7ToWin. Mapsource limits the display of lat/lon data to a precision on the order of 1 meter (exactly 1 meter in UTM), so you might not see variations of 0 to 2 feet; however the data actually carries two more decimal places of precision, which G7ToWin will display. (And probably some of the other "non-Garmin" programs - G7ToWin is just the one I happen to use).