V. 2.70 For 60csx

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1245

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

Improve path nighttime color for map Topo Great Britain v2.

Enhance layout and functionality of tide station chart information.

Add new time zones for major cities in the U.S. and Europe.

Improve By-Name city search to use all available maps.

Improve layout of airport information display.

Improve reset function of timer lap distance.

Improve route calculation performance by setting recalculation distance farther ahead.

Fix issue where extremely high or low altitude readings could occur when baro auto-calibration was enabled.

Prevent Poor Satellite Reception popup from repeatedly occurring when GPS is off.

Add GPRMB sentence to the NMEA output.

Improve stability when using Lithium Ion Battery.

Fix track log time stamps.

Improve Custom POI banner display on map preview page.

Fix issue where total ascent and total descent were incorrectly computed.

Improve route calculation performance by setting recalculation distance farther ahead.

Fix issue where extremely high or low altitude readings could occur when baro auto-calibration was enabled.

Prevent Poor Satellite Reception popup from repeatedly occurring when GPS is off.

Looks like they fixed a bunch of what people were having problems with.

My faovrite is: "Add new time zones for major cities in the U.S. and Europe."

Interesting that they still have not addressed the units inability to regain satelite lock after loosing it without powering the unit off/on, this should have been one of the highest priority fixes as soon as it was discovered. I wonder if it's a hardware issue, that is not fixable with firmware or if they are just having problems finding a good fix. It's good they addressed some of the issues we have talked about but there's still a lot left to do.

Good news.

That said, I haven't got much experience in firmware updates -- I mean, I know how to do it and all (Macintosh notwithstanding!) but I don't know whether it's generally considered safe & prudent to download and install a non-beta update such as this, or whether I should wait to see if it spawns a different, and maybe nastier, set of bugs?

I'm running 2.6 now, having generally steered clear of the beta.

No problems noted yet. Still does not want to find the newer and moved WAAS birds properly. I need to get to an open location to see if that is better. Certainly locks onto 47 much easier.

Yes, I really, really want the save to card feature. Hopefully they will bring it back. You can still download the Beta, so keep a copy of that if needed.

As far as I'm concerned the "save track to card" was essentially meaningless anyway: it only provides value to those saving more than 10,000 points between PC hookups. Garmin really needs to incorporate functionalitythat USES the tracks saved to the card (view on map, upload from Mapsource, change color, etc.) If they did that it would be a winner. Maybe they pulled it with plans to incorporate a robust version later. Let's hope so.

"Fix issue where extremely high or low altitude readings could occur when baro auto-calibration was enabled. "

That's on the 60cX 2.70 update (not just the 60cSX). Wow - imagine that! Garmin put a barometer in the 60cx with a firmware update. Now that's pretty cool :>)

As far as I'm concerned the "save track to card" was essentially meaningless anyway: it only provides value to those saving more than 10,000 points between PC hookups. Garmin really needs to incorporate functionalitythat USES the tracks saved to the card (view on map, upload from Mapsource, change color, etc.) If they did that it would be a winner. Maybe they pulled it with plans to incorporate a robust version later. Let's hope so.

I find the updates to not be worth losing the record track feature in 2.62. I agree more functionality is needed. Other feature updates don't do much for me, ie. no WAAS birds in NE. I'll stick w/2.62.

Edit: I have the 60Cx - don't have altimeter issues.

Edited by centme37

Interesting that they still have not addressed the units inability to regain satelite lock after loosing it without powering the unit off/on, this should have been one of the highest priority fixes as soon as it was discovered.

Some things take longer to fix than others. I'm sure it probably IS THE HIGHEST priority fix. It's just gonna take 'em a little while longer to fix it. But just because they haven't been able to fix that one, doesn't mean all these other problems should go neglected. I say give us the fixes that you've got when you've got 'em!

As far as I'm concerned the "save track to card" was essentially meaningless anyway: it only provides value to those saving more than 10,000 points between PC hookups.

Saves me from having to tote a laptop computer around with me on vacations and other trips! I guess I can roll-back to 2.62Beta when going away. I've lived with it for two months already.

Edited by Neo_Geo

"Fix issue where extremely high or low altitude readings could occur when baro auto-calibration was enabled. "

That's on the 60cX 2.70 update (not just the 60cSX). Wow - imagine that! Garmin put a barometer in the 60cx with a firmware update. Now that's pretty cool :>)

Hey, we got ripped off! I want my money back. :rolleyes:

I loaded 2.7 on my 76CSx. depending on my position I now see the bars for Waas sats 35 & 47 go solid for whichever one has the best signal. In Tucson, I usually could get Ds on all bars anyway, but at least the Waas sat bars indicate solid when they have good lock now. Don't notice much difference in the EPE. Still sitting around 8-9 ft while on my porch.

I did notice the Lithium battery option is now available. I like using lithiums so I'm a happy camper now. :-)

They still have a ways to go with the Custom POI thing! Not only did they NOT FIX the "Find By Name" function - they simply took it away altogether! You still can't see the name of the POI when you put the cursor over it, and as mentioned, transparency does not work.

Looks like they fixed a bunch of what people were having problems with.

My faovrite is: "Add new time zones for major cities in the U.S. and Europe."

In the "readme" file of the update file we have 1 feature extra:

Change History

Version 2.60 to 2.70:

1. Improve path nighttime color for map Topo Great Britain v2.

2. Enhance layout and functionality of tide station chart information.

3. Add new time zones for major cities in the U.S. and Europe.

4. Improve By-Name city search to use all available maps.

5. Improve layout of airport information display.

6. Improve reset function of timer lap distance.

7. Improve route calculation performance by setting recalculation distance farther

ahead.

8. Fix issue where extremely high or low altitude readings could occur when baro auto-calibration was enabled.

9. Prevent Poor Satellite Reception popup from repeatedly occurring when GPS is off.

10. Add GPRMB sentence to the NMEA output.

11. Improve stability when using Lithium Ion Battery.

12. Fix track log time stamps.

13. Improve Custom POI banner display on map preview page.

14. Improve WAAS satellite functionality.

15. Fix issue where total ascent and total descent were incorrectly computed.

the #14 :P

Well while I am disappointed by the other problems with POI, I am glad to see it now will use the custom symbols. Any suggestions on where to get symbols to use? Is there a way to get the symbols for the other POIs that the GPS uses?

They still have a ways to go with the Custom POI thing! Not only did they NOT FIX the "Find By Name" function - they simply took it away altogether! You still can't see the name of the POI when you put the cursor over it, and as mentioned, transparency does not work.

Well, after the update, SV #35 is still winkin and blinkin in the ESE.

After the update my 60CSx still ocassionaly shows #35 blinking in the ESE from here in Indianapolis. Of course, we all know this is still incorrect because #35 is now SW of Indianapolis. Come on Garmin, when will you truly address the WAAS issue?

When I had updated to Beta version 2.62, I had noticed that my NiMH batteries depleting too fast, but now without the tracklog writting to the card, I wonder how long my NiMH batteries are going to last now. I been having trouble with NiMH battery setting on the 60Cx where the 4 bars would go down to zero too quickly, and don't know if it was the constant write to the card or not. They could switch it from automatic save to manually saved, and Mapsource to be able to download tracks from the card.

Well, after the update, SV #35 is still winkin and blinkin in the ESE.

After the update my 60CSx still ocassionaly shows #35 blinking in the ESE from here in Indianapolis. Of course, we all know this is still incorrect because #35 is now SW of Indianapolis. Come on Garmin, when will you truly address the WAAS issue?

Indy - I don't think this is necessarily a Garmin problem. I don't think 35 is in a static position yet and is not yet sending out location data. Garmin apparrently has all the WAAS almanacs stored in firmware and will use the stored position data if a particular waas SV is not broadcasting a location. Once 35 get in its final position (it's essentially there but is still being tweaked) and starts broadcasting location data, then I expect this problem (showing in the SE) to go away and I also expect Garmin will issue a firmware update at that time to update their stored location data. Or, they might wait until all the WAAS SV's have settled down.

Also, I don't think 35 is yet broadcasting all the different types of correction data and that is why we're not getting D's with the "X" series. Unlike other models, I don't think the X series will show D's unless it's receiving all the types of correction data.

It's my belief that the X series are using what correction data is being transmitted and received. We're just not getting any visual confirmation that that is the case.

I have found that if you get a good view to the south so that 35 is strong and stay in one spot long enough for the WAAS almanac to load, it then displays 35 in the correct location and magically it shows it as very high strength. It will maintain this until you turn the unit off. It is easiest done with an external antenna. IME with the 60Cx, the signal strength is quite a bit better with the Gilsson.

So it is a problem with the software (firmware) design, not the satelitte.

With the 2.70 update, the only difference I can see is that 47 will go solid. It would not do that before.

It still does not reserve a channel for WAAS, let alone 2 like other Garmin units.

I see that the custom POI icons are working- very cool! And I can see my custom POIs when zoomed to 800'. My 60Cx is back to getting the quick lock it first did when I got it in Jan, too. With v.2.60 and v.2.62 beta it took longer and would hang there a while. In Albany, NY I 'm getting a solid WAAS lock on #33 (in my bedroom!) with it being filled solid like the old days.

They definitely have a ways to go on the custom POIs.... seems like this is barley even a fix! With that said, isn't the "Nearest containing..." option the same as search by name? It seems to work okay. Also, when I run the cursor over the custom icon (which is not transparent....) the name does pop up for me. I wonder why that isn't working for you. What bums me out is that the icons won't even show up unless I'm zoomed to 300 ft :( and I still can't pick which icons show up and which don't! Could Garmin not imagine that some of us may want to see all of the nearest restaurants without having to wade through a sea of chruches/community centers? More specifically related to Geocaching and custom POIs, I usually load 2 POI databases containing the same list of caches-- one database shows the cache info (dif,ter,size, etc...) and the other contains the hints. I'd prefer to see the cache info when I click the cache icon and not the hint, so it would be nice if I could keep the hint database from showing up on the map while still being able to see the POIs containing the cache info.

Dontchya think?

(Okay.... I'm done ranting. All in all, I'm just glad that Garmin continues to give us fairly frequent firmware updates-- even if they are a little quirky :P ).

EDIT: After reading Timpat's post I fiddled around and was able to get the custom icons to show at 800ft zoom while at the "most" detail setting. Of course, they are lost in a sea of restaurants, gas stations, community centers and churches-- not to mention how slowly the 24k maps draw on the "most" detail setting....

Edited by Cache Heads

Okay, here's a report about the actual firmware fix.

I upgraded and decided to check out the WAAS/Satellite problem. I put a route while in an underground garage (no signal). When I got to the street it got a signal (78 feet) and then went on my merry way. I made it recalc and while sitting at a stop light the satellite signal dropped. I had to turn the unit off then back on. I then went through two tunnels while I was on a route and I lost the satellite signal (expected). When I came out of the tunnel I got the satellite signal back and it stayed there. So it worked through tunnels. I don't know what happened the first time when it dropped and it needed a reset.

The altitude thing appears to work. Yea! Not one single ---.

I'm going to try the routing on the freeway tomorrow so I'll see if it gives me the weird routes again. I'm anxious to see how well it does.

Not only did they NOT FIX the "Find By Name" function - they simply took it away altogether!

isn't the "Nearest containing..." option the same as search by name? It seems to work okay.

No, the Find by name is a MUCH FASTER search as it only needs to search the first few characters of the name of your POIs. For example, if you enter "G-A-R" to find "Garmin", it will ignore all entries up to G-A-Q and all entries after "G-A-S". It ignores a lot of entries right off the bat, so it also returns much more precise entries as well. With find nearest containing, it must search every character grouping of every entry. It takes 1 minute and 20 seconds to search through all of my 49,000 POIs using find nearest containing! With "find by name, it'd be darn near instantaneous!

Check it out using the "All POI" selection - search for "S-T-A-R-B-U" for starbucks :P

Also, when I run the cursor over the custom icon (which is not transparent....) the name does pop up for me. I wonder why that isn't working for you.

If you're doing a "Find" and then "Map" of your POI, yes - that works. But if you just cursor over to where a POI is located, it doesn't work for me.

With find nearest containing, it must search every character grouping of every entry. It takes 1 minute and 20 seconds to search through all of my 49,000 POIs using find nearest containing! With "find by name, it'd be darn near instantaneous!

Check it out using the "All POI" selection - search for "S-T-A-R-B-U" for starbucks :P

Ok. I see what you mean.

If you're doing a "Find" and then "Map" of your POI, yes - that works. But if you just cursor over to where a POI is located, it doesn't work for me.

That is strange. It works for me when I'm just browsing the map. I'm at "normal" detail and zoomed into 300 ft. When I hover over the custom icon, a 2nd icon (a medium sized grey dot within a larger white circle) pops up and the POI name pops up in a white text box.

What do you think is causing the discrepancy?

A little more playing with WAAS. It is working basically the same as before except both 47 and 35 with go solid instead of hollow.

When you first start up 35 is weak and intermittent and in the wrong location. If you go to somewhere with a good view of 47 and let it hold long enough to get the almanac, 35 will then show up in the correct location and hold a full strength signal with a solid bar until the unit is turned off. On restart it all starts from scratch again.

It still will only displays one WAAS bird at a time and never tries to find 48 or 51.

This all at N51 W114 with a 60Cx.

A little more playing with WAAS. It is working basically the same as before except both 47 and 35 with go solid instead of hollow.

When you first start up 35 is weak and intermittent and in the wrong location. If you go to somewhere with a good view of 47 and let it hold long enough to get the almanac, 35 will then show up in the correct location and hold a full strength signal with a solid bar until the unit is turned off. On restart it all starts from scratch again.

It still will only displays one WAAS bird at a time and never tries to find 48 or 51.

This all at N51 W114 with a 60Cx.

installed the update today. 35 is still showing a hollow bar about half strength and showing it in the EAST.....well at least here in N TX......but where I was there was an obstructed view to the west, so I will try it tomorrow and see what I can get

I have found that if you get a good view to the south so that 35 is strong and stay in one spot long enough for the WAAS almanac to load, it then displays 35 in the correct location and magically it shows it as very high strength. It will maintain this until you turn the unit off. It is easiest done with an external antenna. IME with the 60Cx, the signal strength is quite a bit better with the Gilsson.

So it is a problem with the software (firmware) design, not the satelitte.

With the 2.70 update, the only difference I can see is that 47 will go solid. It would not do that before.

It still does not reserve a channel for WAAS, let alone 2 like other Garmin units.

Red - I use a Gillson antenna and generally have 35 showing as a full height hollow bar (west side of Houston). 35 did show in the SW one day in early april and I did get D's that day. I have never gotten 35 to show as a solid bar and the sat page icon for 35 is always flashing on and off. I generally have my 60cx on every day in the back yard with the antenna on top of a 10' pole. I have never seen any other waas sat.

Do you ever get just 35 showing? And, when it alone is showing, do you get it showing in the SW and get D's?

I'm using custom icons? I have comments? I loaded mine using .csv files?

I have custom icons and comments-- but I'm using .gpx files. That could be it.

EDIT: Looks like Red90 is having this problem with .gpx files. I wonder why it works for me. I'm just panning through the map screen. Is it working for others?

Screen grabs:

POIupdate.GIFPOIupdate2.GIF

Edited by Cache Heads

Do you ever get just 35 showing? And, when it alone is showing, do you get it showing in the SW and get D's?

Okay, maybe I don't know the secret handshake or anything, but why is everyone making such a big deal about satellite 35? So what if it doesn't come in. Is #35 the magical one that gives you everything from WAAS, SiRF, Desperate Housewives, today's winning lottery numbers and the nuclear weapons codes? Is it a show stopper if it doesn't come in?

Perhaps I don't understand the way a GPS system works, but from what I've read and learned it takes 3 satellites to give you location through triangulation. If what I'm reading here is correct, everyone is getting bent out of shape because ONE SINGLE satellite is being moved from one location to another and it's not being picked up on their GPS. Is it that nobody's GPS is working now because the magical #35 isn't working? That everyone has only ONE satellite bar showing on their screen? I guess I should feel pretty special because from where I live we get at least 8 satellites to lock onto.

I can't believe that you sit there looking at your satellite screen all day hoping that #35 shows up. Personally I look at that very screen, see 8 satellites and perhaps one empty rectangle that I could care less about, see that I have 8ft of accuracy and off I go to use my GPS. I should join all of you and pray that the almighty satellite 35 will make its triumphant return and point us to Mecca and all those Desperate Housewives. Then I guess I'll see the light.

Oh mighty #35, fill ye satellite bar on ye GPS so you may be able to fill my soul and guide me to the winning lottery numbers.

I wonder why it works for me. I'm just panning through the map screen.

Screen grabs:

Yeah - and you've got really long names too...

How were your .gpx files created? GSAK?

I'm using GPX files and default icons and the name will not appear when panning on the map page for the custom POIs. If you click at the location it says nothing is there.

Red...? How were your .gpx files created?

Edited by Neo_Geo

Okay, maybe I don't know the secret handshake or anything, but why is everyone making such a big deal about satellite 35? So what if it doesn't come in. Is #35 the magical one that gives you everything from WAAS, SiRF, Desperate Housewives, today's winning lottery numbers and the nuclear weapons codes? Is it a show stopper if it doesn't come in?

Perhaps I don't understand the way a GPS system works, but from what I've read and learned it takes 3 satellites to give you location through triangulation. If what I'm reading here is correct, everyone is getting bent out of shape because ONE SINGLE satellite is being moved from one location to another and it's not being picked up on their GPS. Is it that nobody's GPS is working now because the magical #35 isn't working? That everyone has only ONE satellite bar showing on their screen? I guess I should feel pretty special because from where I live we get at least 8 satellites to lock onto.

I can't believe that you sit there looking at your satellite screen all day hoping that #35 shows up. Personally I look at that very screen, see 8 satellites and perhaps one empty rectangle that I could care less about, see that I have 8ft of accuracy and off I go to use my GPS. I should join all of you and pray that the almighty satellite 35 will make its triumphant return and point us to Mecca and all those Desperate Housewives. Then I guess I'll see the light.

Oh mighty #35, fill ye satellite bar on ye GPS so you may be able to fill my soul and guide me to the winning lottery numbers.

Yeah... I'd say you pretty much DON'T understand GPS :P

Besides that, I'd say you're a bit of a... - somebody help me out here... what's the word I'm looking for...? :(

Edited by Neo_Geo

Interesting, I have gpx files, custom icons (still looking for more choices if anyone has suggestions), and comments. It does not work for me. It does not show the name. I did the screen capture but can't figure out how to insert it into my post. (It asks me for a link when I select insert imiage).

I have a 1 gig card, 23 gpx files with a total of 4,700 POIs. I've tried more detail, most detail and nothing shows up. Actually I have some with custom icon and some without them and it does not work for any of them. I have City Select V7 and I tried hiding it and looking on topo east and no maps at all. Nothing I have tried will work.

I create my GPX files by creating them in MapSource and then saving them as a GPX file.

I am in IL (by St. Louis) and I have not been able to get anything for WAAS. I am going to let it run all night and see what shows up.

I'm using custom icons? I have comments? I loaded mine using .csv files?

I have custom icons and comments-- but I'm using .gpx files. That could be it.

EDIT: Looks like Red90 is having this problem with .gpx files. I wonder why it works for me. I'm just panning through the map screen. Is it working for others?

Screen grabs:

Edited by myotis

Interesting, I have gpx files, custom icons (still looking for more choices if anyone has suggestions), and comments. It does not work for me. It does not show the name. I did the screen capture but can't figure out how to insert it into my post. (It asks me for a link when I select insert imiage).

I have a 1 gig card, 23 gpx files with a total of 4,700 POIs. I've tried more detail, most detail and nothing shows up. Actually I have some with custom icon and some without them and it does not work for any of them. I have City Select V7 and I tried hiding it and looking on topo east and no maps at all. Nothing I have tried will work.

I create my GPX files by creating them in MapSource and then saving them as a GPX file.

I am in IL (by St. Louis) and I have not been able to get anything for WAAS. I am going to let it run all night and see what shows up.

How were your .gpx files created? I'm thinkin' that if they were created and saved in MapSource, then it'll work...

Just a hunch.

...Oh - and BTW - I'm using a 60Cx

Edited by Neo_Geo

How were your .gpx files created? I'm thinkin' that if they were created and saved in MapSource, then it'll work...

Just a hunch.

...Oh - and BTW - I'm using a 60Cx

I used GSAK (I set up my POIs like this)-- but I have a CSx. What do the others have? Could it be an issue between models?

BTW - On another note, I just locked on 35 with a strong solid bar and had d's with 16 ft. accuracy inside my L.A. apartment. That's better than I've ever seen :P

Edited by Cache Heads

Yeah... I'd say you pretty much DON'T understand GPS :P

Besides that, I'd say you're a bit of a... - somebody help me out here... what's the word I'm looking for...? :(

And are you going to explain why #35 is so important or are you just going to pass judgement on people and not explain your reasoning? Until someone explains why a single satellite, particularly this one, is so important when there are numerous others that can be used in a similiar fashion then I'll keep watching obsessed people like you get irritated about tongue and cheek joking. I'm assuming you haven't gotten your fix on that geocache that only #35 can give? Don't be shy. You can tell us.