Way To Find Caches Along The Road

Skela

Hi,

I would like to collect all waypoints along a road between two cities or other places :rolleyes:

Is there any means to get all waypoints listed along a road? <_<

List should give the waypoints in order of the distance from that *road* not from end points. :unsure:

Other possibility could be list the waypoints found between two cordinates - direct line. This could be then used several times to cover the whole road.

Google Earth helps a lot to give cache names. :unsure:

re Kari

Perfect timing - I was just thinking something like this.

I suppose there is no perfect solution because the algorithm would need the route of the road. I'm sure there is a lot of people who could write the "direct line" algorithm, but I found a solution good enough for me: I just realized these new maps on cache page are really useful. If you click the map you get a bigger one and it shows all the caches on the area. With the arrows you can scroll the map and locate new caches - the only problem so far is I haven't found any way to get directly to the cache page from the map dispaly.

Heips,

Google maps are REALLY good, especially if your connection can stand to show the Hybrid displays. I think the best connection if you are mobile here in middle of Finland, is still GPRS and 57kbps, G3 is only available in cities. Actually the Google maps here are more precise than what I can get using Google Earth, two years old I believe.

Have to try this in action soon !! Only missing aid is the ability to connect the GPSr in the laptop and get the location to center the map in real time !! It will be toooo easy !!!

Perfect timing - I was just thinking something like this.

I suppose there is no perfect solution because the algorithm would need the route of the road. I'm sure there is a lot of people who could write the "direct line" algorithm, but I found a solution good enough for me: I just realized these new maps on cache page are really useful. If you click the map you get a bigger one and it shows all the caches on the area. With the arrows you can scroll the map and locate new caches - the only problem so far is I haven't found any way to get directly to the cache page from the map dispaly.

Be aware the new maps don't show "all" the caches, only a random sampling of the the top 20 if the event there are more than that (not closest, random -- unless they changed this). This means there could be a lot more caches -- and ones even closer -- than what the new map shows.

Google Earth is the only sure way to tell for now.

Heips,

Google maps are REALLY good, especially if your connection can stand to show the Hybrid displays. I think the best connection if you are mobile here in middle of Finland, is still GPRS and 57kbps, G3 is only available in cities. Actually the Google maps here are more precise than what I can get using Google Earth, two years old I believe.

Have to try this in action soon !! Only missing aid is the ability to connect the GPSr in the laptop and get the location to center the map in real time !! It will be toooo easy !!!

I'm quite suspicious on trusting that these connections work reliably, and trusting that on-line maps work always when you need them... I could buy a shock- and water-resistant PDA to carry the whole country's cache descriptions with me if there was one. Does anyone know about such PDAs on the market? Of course I could use it also to look at on-line stuff, using the phone's GPRS/3G via bluetooth... I think a reqular iPAQ doesn't like water and snow too much...

I'm quite suspicious on trusting that these connections work reliably, and trusting that on-line maps work always when you need them... I could buy a shock- and water-resistant PDA to carry the whole country's cache descriptions with me if there was one. Does anyone know about such PDAs on the market? Of course I could use it also to look at on-line stuff, using the phone's GPRS/3G via bluetooth... I think a reqular iPAQ doesn't like water and snow too much...

I've been using GPRS some three years now, I have a PCMCIA card which is capable to G3 also and switches automaticaly to best speed. It works quite nice around Finland even in the northern parts of Lake Inari and main roads in northern Finland. Most of the problems come up after you want to remove the card and go back to normal laptop internal WLAN connection, and then I need to reboot but thats normal with XP.

The G3 network seems to be very concentrated to city centers and I assume that will be the case forever.

It is very difficult to find even water resistant devices of any kind. I have had alot of pbs with digicamera, not with water but with dust and if the camera would be water resistant, it would also be able to resist the dust eg in your pocket. I know Olympus has some models but the XD-card has annoyed me !!

An ideal set would be: Laptop in the car with G3 to the net, WLAN connection to water resistant PDA with BlueTooth connection to GPSr and Digicamera. No cables, no sensitive connectors. But I am affraid this is still far away !!

Thanks for the posts.

I planned my travel on my home computer in advance like this.

I rolled along the road in Google Earth and opened each cache near the road, print the basic information from it and save waypoint to the disk. Then I opened each waypoint with EasyGPS to load the coordinates to the GPS one by one.

I used gprs connection from my mobile only to check last logs or similiar last changes if I did not found the cache.

Now I'm looking if there is a easier way to do this. Like to use automation to the routines ;)

Hi,

I would like to collect all waypoints along a road between two cities or other places :laughing:

Is there any means to get all waypoints listed along a road? :laughing:

re Kari

And now it is possible - THANKS A LOT :(;)

"

New Feature: Caches Along a Route!

Almost since the start of Geocaching.com, the ability to get a list of caches along a route has been the #1 requested feature for the site. This puzzle has finally been solved by the creative coding of Raine, Groundspeak's chief expert on Google Maps and Google Earth. With the use of Google Earth and other mapping tools you can now upload a route to Geocaching.com and create a Pocket Query of caches within 1 to 5 miles from your route. You can also share your route publicly so others can create their own Pocket Queries against it.

This new premium feature is available from your Pocket Query page, your "my account" page, or at the link below:

"

BUT - I mean REALLY BIG BUT :laughing: - it's only for premium members :laughing:

I only wonder if my post was the initiation for this update - next time I should keep my mouth until some negotiations about refund :)

The new "Caches along a route" function creates a PQ. Works rather nicely.

If you already have the cache information in GSAK, you can try the easy method:

- create a route file (kml) with Google Earth

- create a filter in GSAK, load the kml file in the arc filter

..you get a list of the caches along the route.