Trouble Tansfering Route From Mapsource To 76csx

I am trying to transfer a route from my PC that is mapped on Mapsource to my Map76CSx. On my PC using Mapsource, the route looks fine. It directly follows secondary dirt roads and has about 66 waypoints along the route. The highlighted route is dead on top of the dirt roads if I am viewing it with either City nav 7 or Garmin Topo. When I transfer this route and waypoints to my 76CSx, the waypoints transfer acuratley but the route get all messed up and only displays direct bearing routes between the waypoints. None of the transfered route displays on the road. Every portion of the displayed route on the GPSr is a straight line between waypoints. This problem is displayed the same if I am viewing with the topo or city nav maps on the 76CSx.

This route was sent to me as GPX file and did seem to load correctly into Mapsource. Any ideas what the heck is happening here?? Thanks.

Edited by bgarland

Hmmmm, I tried importing the GPX file into NG Topo and I got the same straight line connections as I was seeing on the GPSr. Must be a compatabilty problem with the specific GPX file I was using. Not sure why Mapsource reads it correctly and NG Topo and GPSr both convert it to straight line connections???

Hmmmm, I tried importing the GPX file into NG Topo and I got the same straight line connections as I was seeing on the GPSr. Must be a compatabilty problem with the specific GPX file I was using. Not sure why Mapsource reads it correctly and NG Topo and GPSr both convert it to straight line connections???

Are you making sure that the map transfer to the GPS includes the routing data? :rolleyes:

Edited by Skeets_de

I think you may misunderstand what's supposed to happen here. A route is nothing but an ordered sequence of locations (waypoints, via points, there are many things you could call them.). Mapsource, with the relevant mapsets installed, will automatically compute the point-to-point connections following roads, and display the route that way. NG Topo doesn't know about the roads, and will only display straight line connections. Your 76csx does know about the roads (assuming you have City Nav. installed), but won't automatically compute a road based route - it will show a straight line route first off. However, if you begin navigating that route with the follow roads option, it will then recompute that route following the roads, and will display it that way.

Keith

I was starting to figure that out. :-) I made a free hand route with NG topo and then converted it to a GPS route with the software to closley match the free hand route. It used around 200 waypoints. Then I transfered to the 76CSx and it displayed much better. But your correct, it was still straight lines between points...just a lot more points to better follow the road. Now I understand about the need to "navigate" the route before it will calculate to follow the roads. I'll try that when I get out in the field with this route later this week. Thanks for the help.

Agreed, the route as it's defined in Mapsource primarily just has way points for each unique road. I just let NG Topo generate a ton of waypoints so it would closey follow the freehand drawn route. Mapsource routing is defintley the way to go. Thanks.