Your Coin On Ebay.

Renegade Knight

If you have a coin, it's going to be on eBay given time.

So what's your price? Some of us are worth more than others when it comes to our coins.

How high does your coin have to go before you are not disspointed in the price? How high has it gone for a regular auction?

Since I don't have a coin yet, I'd be happy if it clears 25 consistantly when I do, and I'd be thrilled to be a member of the 50 and up club. At those prices I'd never be able to afford to buy back my own coin but...that's the way the ball bounces. If it sold for less than 25 I'd wonder what I should have done differently. My plan is that my signature coin (different from a less and less likely 1k coin) would be a cache only coin. No sales, no trades.

Edited by Renegade Knight

My plan is that my signature coin (different from a less and less likely 1k coin) would be a cache only coin. No sales, no trades.

That would be great but from what I have seen coins like that get taken more often because the only way to get one is to steal it, however they would sell for more on eBay. We are working on a coin right now and want to make a standard one and an LE but not sell the LE save those for FTF prize and droping in caches only no sales or trades. I would love to make a personal coin and not sell it but dont have the money for that.

Our coins were cache only - no sales, no trading. Non trackable but the one we put on eBay sold well for a charity.

Not sure what's going to come of this thread so I won't post the amount since it seems like it's going to turn into a "my coin sold for more than yours" battle.

Hard to tell what drives prices anyway - reputation (Moun10Bike), scarcity of the coin (like ours sort of), design, etc.

Our coins were cache only - no sales, no trading. Non trackable but the one we put on eBay sold well for a charity.

Not sure what's going to come of this thread so I won't post the amount since it seems like it's going to turn into a "my coin sold for more than yours" battle.

Hard to tell what drives prices anyway - reputation (Moun10Bike), scarcity of the coin (like ours sort of), design, etc.

I could look up my Paypal receipt if you like. :rolleyes:

Seriously, coins sold for charity are always going to bring much more money than personal sales. So, if someone wants to gauge 'coin worth,' it should be based on personal sales.

I can't figure out why people bid like mad on a coin on ebay when the geocoin in question is still available from the creator! Drives me nuts. Ok - I vented!

:rolleyes:

Tiki

Totally agree. Someone has one of my silver coins on ebay with a starting bid of almost $3.00 than I have or am selling them at (some are still available). He is also charging $2.00 shipping, which I included. <_<

...Seriously, coins sold for charity are always going to bring much more money than personal sales. So, if someone wants to gauge 'coin worth,' it should be based on personal sales.

True. The charity coin is as much if not more a question of the person selling the coin. If you trust that person then you would bid more because you are comfortable doing it and comfortable that the money will go where it's supposed to go.

Not much, apparently...I put up 3 extra Original Stash Plaque coin/pin sets up on Ebay starting at $12 + $2 for shipping, ran it for 3 days, and that's exactly what I got for them.

I guess no one wants them...

Wow, I'm shocked. I've gotten several trade offers for my one extra - they seemed like a hot property. And they are kwite kewl! :P

Not much, apparently...I put up 3 extra Original Stash Plaque coin/pin sets up on Ebay starting at $12 + $2 for shipping, ran it for 3 days, and that's exactly what I got for them.

It isn't that no one wants them, it is that there are more out there and easier to get in trade etc. So they sell for less. Nothing to feel down about there! I figure theme coins like that are kind of meant to be made available to many, since people enjoy coming up with the theme and sharing it. :P

Hard to say. Unfortunately, after the tax man hit me, I'm considering selling my favorite coins. Joefrog, Prairie Partners LE Silver (only 75 minted), Kilted Cacher, Geobone, Kilted Cacher Christmas Coin, Gold Geocoin Addicts, 9key, Team Sand Dollar, etc. I really don't want to go there but eBay may be in my future. I have no idea what they are worth in $$$ - they are worth a lot to me and I hate to even consider selling them but I had to put $1400.00 of taxes on a credit card this year so any income is needed. :P

Edited by Thrak

Hmmm forgot.

OH yeah it must be me because I have never sold any item on e-bay.

...Seriously, coins sold for charity are always going to bring much more money than personal sales. So, if someone wants to gauge 'coin worth,' it should be based on personal sales.

True. The charity coin is as much if not more a question of the person selling the coin. If you trust that person then you would bid more because you are comfortable doing it and comfortable that the money will go where it's supposed to go.

I'm not sure whether I should be insulted or happy about it but I can't remember ever seeing one of my coins on ebay. I only traded or cached mine so as far as I know theres only 2 people that have more than 1 coin. Mind you I don't check ebay every day so it's possible one slipped past.

I auctioned off 45 of mine in a dutch auction that didn't sell during the presale timeframe for $10.00 ea. This may be a good alternative for minters to recoup some of their investment if forum sales went flat before the sales target is met. Alot of cachers are ebayer's and don't visit our forum here.

I've seen mine go for as low as $13.00 (already activated) or as high as $52.00. They usually are in the mid $20.00 range.

Not many people bought more than 2 from the forum presales, so there isn't many folks with more than 1 at this point.

One of mine sold for $12, which was 3X what I paid for it, and more than I bid to get it back.

I think my design was pretty plain, I made it before the craze really took off, and naively thought a less fancy design would be cheaper to produce. Only had 100 made, though, and I'm down to my last two.

Edited by Spencersb

Both good points (sorry for the late reply). I haven't sold a personal coin on Ebay (except for the one mentioned above for charity) and don't plan to so I can only speculate.

maybe.....$5.00? ;)

Remember the coin I gave you?? Hmmm, don't see any of those 12 dollar coins in my book??? ;)

Remember the coin I gave you?? Hmmm, don't see any of those 12 dollar coins in my book??? :o

Whatchyoutalkin bout, Willis? I sent your coin today!

I feel better already, an Original Stash coin just went for $25+$3.50 shipping on HERE, and it didn't even include the free pin that originally came with it!

One of mine sold for $12, which was 3X what I paid for it, and more than I bid to get it back.

I think my design was pretty plain, I made it before the craze really took off, and naively thought a less fancy design would be cheaper to produce. Only had 100 made, though, and I'm down to my last two.

You did not need the fancy design as yours was a classic to begin with. Definately one of my favorites!

I feel like I have gone out of my way to find really good homes for my coins and have tried hard to make sure that no one has more than one. Yeah one will appear on ebay eventually but I HOPE that is years down the road. I am very happy to see that folks are going back to the trade only philosophy. It make it all much more fun, not to mention that you get to correspond with some really cool geocachers!

When you list a coin,check to see how many are on auction,you will always do better when there a few,or none up for bids.

This coin did very well for us.

It is a HUGE Beauty!

R3

There are 4 or 5 Vermont geocoins going for $10 to $13 w/shipping right now. They can still be had at the Geocoinstore for $8.63 (shipping included).

If the GCstore had sold out already I would go on ebay and undercut all these guys. But I do believe in free enterprise, so I am not upset with them (the ebayers). I hope some day the coins are going for $50 bucks a piece, I might hang on to 20 or 30 for a year or so and see what the market is bearing. <_<

[Edited to fix ambiguous reference.]

Edited by Tharagleb

R3&BH - you have made quite a bit on E8AY with these coins...

I just posted one of my 2 PEZ coins... I hope your luck, if that's what you want to call it, is with me on this one! <_<

If anyone wants me to post any of your geocoins on there, message me!

I'll just send the profit to you via PayPal...! :lol:

Edited by Mandollyn

<_< LOL, took my coin 8 days to show up on ebay. I'm going for $11 right now. If you know of someone bidding on the Blind Acorn coin on there, tell them I have plenty left.... :lol:

You must be talking about us!LOL We have an 11.00 bid on your coin!

As middleman dealers we can tell you that this coin is going to do VERY well!

We have already sold one for more than that privately.(We also have non-cachers getting your coin!!)

SHHHHHHHH!!! Don't tell anyone!LOL!

R3

There are 4 or 5 Vermont geocoins going for $10 to $13 w/shipping right now. They can still be had at the Geocoinstore for $8.63 (shipping included).

If the GCstore had sold out already I would go on ebay and undercut all these guys. But I do believe in free enterprise, so I am not upset with them (the ebayers). I hope some day the coins are going for $50 bucks a piece, I might hang on to 20 or 30 for a year or so and see what the market is bearing. <_<

[Edited to fix ambiguous reference.]

YOU have a great attitude!!

I hope it spreads!LOL!

This coin is also doing well!

R3

R3&BH - you have made quite a bit on E8AY with these coins...

I just posted one of my 2 PEZ coins... I hope your luck, if that's what you want to call it, is with me on this one! <_<

If anyone wants me to post any of your geocoins on there, message me!

I'll just send the profit to you via PayPal...! :lol:

Team PEZ coins are one of the hottest out there now!

No luck involved,COOL coin,COOL idea=A Winner!!

We just look for coins we like,& take a shot!Some win,some don't

All part of the fun(Kinda like playing the market)

Our Allegany State Park Geobash 2006 coin went up on the e-site for a "buy it now" price of $49.95 + shipping and it went in about 3 hours. One is now up for bidding.

We sold it for $10 and the profits are for covering the cost of the tent we used at the event and had a bit left over for next year (so we don't have to have the committee members opening their wallets.)

It's been (and is currently) interesting, but I'm pretty detacted from it, oddly enough...and I designed it and paid for it. (And will not break even from my pocket, either...<shrug>...it was fun making them.)

(And in case that doesn't make sense, I opted to give the "profits" before the coins were all sold. Some got donated and I guess you could say I "paid" for them...)

Out of curiousity I just checked closed auctions for the Vermont Geocoin, one sold for $33 and other auctions got no bids, I don't get it.

Ebay is like every auction, if you want 'THAT ONE RIGHT THERE, RIGHT NOW!!' you'll pay more than anyone else (thats how an auction works :rolleyes: ). If you relax and wait for the next one, or the one after, it may go much cheaper... of course that assumes there will be another one.

Although, if it makes you feel better, I personally tend to be willing to pay more for a simpler design with lots of metal, than a complex, mostly-enamel design that makes the coin look like a metal "pog".

That's not to say that there aren't very nice coins done with lots of colours and enamel, there are, but my preference is for simpler designs and a more "coin-like" feel and appearance.

However, it's not much cheaper to produce a simple design than a complex one.

Out of curiousity I just checked closed auctions for the Vermont Geocoin, one sold for $33 and other auctions got no bids, I don't get it.

Ebay is like every auction, if you want 'THAT ONE RIGHT THERE, RIGHT NOW!!' you'll pay more than anyone else (thats how an auction works :rolleyes: ). If you relax and wait for the next one, or the one after, it may go much cheaper... of course that assumes there will be another one.

This is also something to watch out for on eBay. It applies to anything sold on eBay, not just coins.

A couple years ago, I wanted to upgrade my 8" telescope, so I thought "hmm, a used one from eBay should do the trick" and sure enough a search returned many hits...

...almost all of which were going for very close to, or MORE THAN the current MSRP for a new telescope of that make and model, not counting shipping! I even asked some people about this, but all I got back was abuse, so I bought a new one from the manufacturer.

I sold my old one on ebay for about 80% of the replacement price and it went fast.

All that is a long-winded way of saying that not everyone who buys on ebay really knows what they are doing, and just because someone will pay X for an item doesn't mean the item is really worth X.

I don't either, but if you can figure out the timing you can do well as a seller or buyer. Once I was trying to get a fairly rare trading card. (Bazaar of Baghdad, from Magic The Gathering). At the time I only wanted to pay about 8 bucks for them. Auction after auction they would go for 9-12 bucks. Then one day I had a bid on way too many of them and got them all for less than my price. They go for a bit more than that now so my blunder worked out fairly well.

Looks like Idaho 2005 has cooled off a bit on eBay.

By what I have seen so far I am worth nothing on ebay. Or if I am worth anything it is bare minimum.

I have actually looked for a hobo on Ebay. I love that coin! It reminds me of my son 8 who said he was running away and made a pack like that. But you ar right I guess because no one is selling them.

By what I have seen so far I am worth nothing on ebay. Or if I am worth anything it is bare minimum.

I have actually looked for a hobo on Ebay. I love that coin! It reminds me of my son 8 who said he was running away and made a pack like that. But you ar right I guess because no one is selling them.

You can buy one here for $5.00 bucks plus shipping. perhaps thats why the demand for them on ebay is low. Glenn

http://www.geocoinstore.com/