Draft Internet Cafe Category Created

Opening discussion on the internet cafe category. See it here : Internet Cafe category

Will allow for some discussion before submitting to the officers for a vote.

From the requirements for placing a waymark: "Making at least a telephone call to the establishment to be sure it is currently in operation is required. Visiting it is not required although is encouraged and could be helpful."

Personally, this is the reverse of what I consider Waymarking. How can you waymark without visiting? How can one get GPS coordinates without visiting? Or are you talking about doing business at the cafe? And, I can tell you right now I'd never waymark in a category that requires me to make a phone call. And, you didn't mention any photo requirement, which I regard as essential to any waymark.

So, I'd be in favor of requiring personally recorded GPSr coordinates and photo. I waymarker should be able to tell from that if the establishment is in business or not. No telephone call.

Logging a waymark -- as it is requires a photo, but not waymark creation. We're still trying to figure out the best way to veryfy visits for logs. I personally don't like the GPSr-included requirement. Some think any photo requirement is redundant. If we had a good way to implement a verification question/answer system, I think this would be ideal, but it is still unclear to me if/how this can be done.

Also, the long list of detailed variables is too intimidating, and that would make me avoid Waymarking in this category -- unless it is clear that most of these are optional. I've gone overboard on variables myself in catgegory creation and have had to scale back.

I think the purpose of Waymarking is to identify LOCATION and not to provide a detailed directory. It is a balance thing, I guess. The bottom line is, the more and the more detailed the variables, the fewer waymarks you'll get.

Other thoughts??

Opening discussion on the internet cafe category. See it here : Internet Cafe category

From the requirements for placing a waymark: "Making at least a telephone call to the establishment to be sure it is currently in operation is required. Visiting it is not required although is encouraged and could be helpful."

Personally, this is the reverse of what I consider Waymarking. How can you waymark without visiting? How can one get GPS coordinates without visiting? Or are you talking about doing business at the cafe? And, I can tell you right now I'd never waymark in a category that requires me to make a phone call. And, you didn't mention any photo requirement, which I regard as essential to any waymark.

So, I'd be in favor of requiring personally recorded GPSr coordinates and photo. I waymarker should be able to tell from that if the establishment is in business or not. No telephone call.

Logging a waymark -- as it is requires a photo, but not waymark creation. We're still trying to figure out the best way to veryfy visits for logs. I personally don't like the GPSr-included requirement. Some think any photo requirement is redundant. If we had a good way to implement a verification question/answer system, I think this would be ideal, but it is still unclear to me if/how this can be done.

Also, the long list of detailed variables is too intimidating, and that would make me avoid Waymarking in this category -- unless it is clear that most of these are optional. I've gone overboard on variables myself in catgegory creation and have had to scale back.

I think the purpose of Waymarking is to identify LOCATION and not to provide a detailed directory. It is a balance thing, I guess. The bottom line is, the more and the more detailed the variables, the fewer waymarks you'll get.

Other thoughts??

Read this:

Instructions for logging visits to waymarks in this category:

In order to log a waymark in this category, you must be able to provide proof of your visit. A photo of the establishment including yourself or your GPSr is required.

It states yourself OR a GPS nowhere does it say you must have your GPS.

Other thoughts??

"How can one get GPS coordinates without visiting?" - mapping software.

"I can tell you right now I'd never waymark in a category that requires me to make a phone call." - The requirement is either a phone call or a visit.

"And, you didn't mention any photo requirement, which I regard as essential to any waymark." - can you explain further why you think this is essential?

"I think the purpose of Waymarking is to identify LOCATION and not to provide a detailed directory. " - can it be both?

My idea is that this category is really a service to other waymarkers. If I go Waymarking far from my accustomed territory, I would like to know where the Internet Cafes are so that I can record my waymarks. Furthermore, I would like to tell all the waymarkers out there where the Internet cafes are in my town. Does this mean I have to go visit every one? Why?

I've had this experience before going on vacation spending lots of time just trying to find out where the closest internet cafe was (this was in a foreign country and wasn't comfortable with the language enough to ask around BTW). This category could help solve that problem.

The one problem with internet cafes, is that they come and go, rapidly. Just paging through the yellow pages, maybe a quarter of the entries will already be out of business, thus the minimum requirement of a phone call.

There is only one variable that is not optional - that's the one confirming the cafe is still in business. It seems that how the "optional" indicator appears is controlled by Waymarking.com

Hope that helps to clarify the rationale behind the category write up.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

Other thoughts??

Read this:

In order to log a waymark in this category, you must be able to provide proof of your visit. A photo of the establishment including yourself or your GPSr is required.

Hmmm, is it necessary to have your GPS when visiting a waymark?

Other thoughts??

Read this:

Hmmm, is it necessary to have your GPS when visiting a waymark?

No, all of the waymarks I visit I never bring my GPS with me.