Best Gps For A Mac User?

Is the 60CS easy to read in direct sunlight? Is it easy to use for someone that has NEVER tried geocaching before?

I have a Garmin 60CS and it works well with my Mac. A program called MacGPS Pro will allow USB transfer of waypoints and tracks. Later on this year Garmin will be making its software Mac compatible so you'll be able to transfer maps without using a Windows PC.

Garmin's eTrex Vista Cx when bought off discount places would satisfy your budget. It's USB based and would work with LoadMyTracks on the Mac. However, full functionality would come by the end of the year when Garmin promised to release offical Mac softwares.

Is the 60CS easy to read in direct sunlight? Is it easy to use for someone that has NEVER tried geocaching before?

The screens on the 60CS is absolutely fantastic and very, very easy to read in direct sunlight. I really wonder why my Palm TX' colour screen can't be that good.

As for learning how to use it, it's no harder than any other GPS IMO.

GeoBC

ps.

You will need a serial assistant to connect the garmin lead to a USB port, as the garmin lead is a serial port connection.

I use a keyspan one.

The above quoted statement is not true. If, for example, you purchase a Garmin 60Cx, you can attach the GPS to your Mac running OSX by means of a USB cable. You can then download tracks, waypoints and routes to the Mac with the free LoadMyTracks.

I have the 60Cx and a Mac and it is a sweet combination...which will be even sweeter when Garmin releases its software as Mac compatable.

Barrikady

I think I read somewhere that Garmin will be Mac compatible soon.

We just got the Garmin Rino 530 and it is compatable with mac. I have both a mac and windows pc at haven't tried the mac yet but I love this Garmin Rino 530 newegg.com has the lowest prices under $300. Make sure and purchase the Mapsource US topo program you can get it online at walmart.com for $75.

It's hardly Mac compatible yet. We need a Mac version of MapSource before we call it compatible. At present, there are lots of work arounds through third party softwares. Irrespective, you'll still need a PC to upload maps to your Garmin unit. Waiting and waiting...

Virtual PC on the Mac may work.

BootCamp on new Mactels with Windows may work.

Parallel's Workstation running on new Mactels may permit MapSource to run under OS X.

I am using a Vista Cx with a G5 running MacGPS Pro. Works good (not great, some crashing) together. I got the Vista Cx because it does not require a different cable, it is USB. Some other Garmins req. a special cable, more info on MacGPS pro site if you go with that software. As for maps, you can get state specific topos (around $30) from MacGPS Pro site, or if you have the Garmin Cx models you can spring $80 and get regional micro SD cards with topos on it. I did that and for my $80 I got all of Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, part of SD, Minnesota, Missouri. Go to Garmin site for your region. Easy installation! After punching in coords by hand for 350 finds ( and how many DNFs) the waypoint files are a blessing. And the maps on my old Maggie left MUCH to be desired.