Coin Replicas In Cache. Not The Real Coin.

duckm

I have run into some caches that are said to have trackable coins only to find a replica or picture of the coin with a tracking number. Is this common practice? I'm assuming the owner does not want to risk losing their coin.

I have run into some caches that are said to have trackable coins only to find a replica or picture of the coin with a tracking number. Is this common practice? I'm assuming the owner does not want to risk losing their coin.

You got it.

It's a way that coin collectors can share their collection. Creating a 'copy' is a way to enjoy the travelling aspect of the coin without the worry of someone else collection your coins.

Copy tags should (IMHO) be identified in the name of the trackable and in the descritption. So if someone were to view the cache page, the inventory would show '2006 Finland Geocoin (Copy)' or similar. This way, you know that you're looking for a replica and not dissappointed when you show up and find a wooden nickel with a photo sticker stuck to it.

Personally I find this silly - I don't want to find replicas of anything. I don't want to travel to the the Louvre in Paris just to see replicas of paintings.

I understand that people don't want to lose thier coins, but it happens. For all the grief and griping, I know that when I set coins free, there's a good cahnce they will go missing - it's just the way it is.

Somebody in another thread said it best: Finding a coin replica is like kissing your sister.

Personally I find this silly - I don't want to find replicas of anything. I don't want to travel to the the Louvre in Paris just to see replicas of paintings.

I understand that people don't want to lose thier coins, but it happens. For all the grief and griping, I know that when I set coins free, there's a good cahnce they will go missing - it's just the way it is.

Somebody in another thread said it best: Finding a coin replica is like kissing your sister.

Ok, trouble is brewing, now there are two things I agree with you on :rolleyes:

All though I must add here, I have NEVER kissed my sister

Kewl a new coin hunny grab the gps lets go grrrrr this one is 35 miles away oh well its a coin I have not seen drive the the site hike a bit and find the cache and find a picture of the coin what the &%$@. My view putting a picture is lame you can't enjoy the coin by looking at the picture I can look at a picture online anytime, I want to hold the real thing if its in a cache.

edited for spelling

Edited by Team Jsam

This one is even worse.

I let loose a real coin with a mission statement. Within a week somebody put out a laminated card with the tracking number and mission statement and kept the blinking coin. It cannot be shared at an event as I will get the email. The coin is useless to them except as a token.

You never can tell about some people but I appreciated being notified by the person who went looking for it letting me know.

Lynn

I'm looking forward to finding a cut-out of a WJTB in a cache also...

Fake coins in caches are lame...either keep the coin under your pillow, or place the actual coin in a cache...no half-measures please...

Jamie - NFA

... Finding a coin replica is like kissing your sister.

You know, I'd think it would be closer to kissing your sister and when I open my eyes it was my sister...Not at all what I expected and then I'd have to wonder if I should feel guilty for enjoying it before I noticed the problem.

Then again I don't think finding a coin clone would be like that at all.

Nevermind.

How 'bout this:

Make a replica of my real coin, (repli-coin?) but obscure the tracking number,

then attach a travel bug tag to the replicoin and send IT out as a travel bug.

Would that annoy EVERYONE in one swell foop?

:rolleyes:

No because it will be listed that there is a TB not a coin that would be kewl.

You got it.

It's a way that coin collectors can share their collection. Creating a 'copy' is a way to enjoy the travelling aspect of the coin without the worry of someone else collection your coins.

Copy tags should (IMHO) be identified in the name of the trackable and in the descritption. So if someone were to view the cache page, the inventory would show '2006 Finland Geocoin (Copy)' or similar. This way, you know that you're looking for a replica and not dissappointed when you show up and find a wooden nickel with a photo sticker stuck to it.

For most folks almost anything would be better than kissing MY sister. :P

<_< I have got the coin buying bug and because I love them so much when ever I can I buy 2 coins one to keep and one to set free, as of yet they are all doing ok except one that is!!! the cache may have been muggled !! Should any of them go missing I shall not replace them, with a copy or the real thing, I know that the people who have picked them up and moved them on have loved finding them in caches, so any one who takes a coin and keeps it are spoiling the whole point of the game for every one else and should be ashamed of them selves. :mad:

I have 8 new coins acctivated and ready to be set free they have holes in them, and a travel buddy attached, while I know some caches don't think drilling a hole makes a difference it makes us feel better, and we try and put the hole in a place that will not spoil the picture on the coin.

When I read Team Maddies log about their coin being laminated and then pinched I was speechless, it just beggars belief. :mad::mad:B):mad:

The funny thing is that in the world of travel bugs I believe that re-releasing a lost travel bug is acceptable. I have moved quite a few bugs that had the COPY dog tag attached or had a replica dog tag made for them.

SO....

Is it acceptable to release replica copies of generic Travel bugs?

Is it acceptable to do this for coins?

Is it edicate to first wait till the original traveler/coin goes missing?

I do think it is kinda of lame to do it with coins but honestly I am not going to put down anyone else that does it. and I do like someone's suggestion to put (COPY) or (REPLICA) in the name of the coin so that it is obivous on the bug page that the item is not the original.

This one is even worse.

I let loose a real coin with a mission statement. Within a week somebody put out a laminated card with the tracking number and mission statement and kept the blinking coin.

You never can tell about some people but I appreciated being notified by the person who went looking for it letting me know.

Lynn

I had the same thing happen to 1 of my coins. I appreciated being notified and promptly modified the coins TB page and re-named the coin CENT5's RIPPED OFF US GEOCOIN Then I moved the coin to the Travel Bug Graveyard

Laminated or other facimilies of coins in caches are indeed lame. If they go missing (and I can assure you some of them will) give them a proper burial and let them go.

What about when a coin goes missing in action? how would it be taken then if you released a laminate?

I am intrested to hear responses as ive got 2 gone missing so far

When I have a TB go missing, I wait at least 6 months, then re-release a copy tag. I *paid* for the TB tag, I'm going to make darn sure I get to play with it! If TB's were free, I wouldn't mind putting them in a virtual graveyard, but when my $$'s involved, I want to make sure I get what I paid for - I'm not going to let a thief turn my TB tag into a donation. <_<

For coins, it's trickier, because the joy of a coin is finding the actual coin itself. I have 3 missing so far, and haven't found a good way to re-release them yet. But I think if a coin is lost or stolen, it's about the only good reason to release a laminate copy. Once I get off my lazy butt, I'll re-write the coin descriptions and make it clear they're copies, so people can at least get the icon if they so choose. It still doesn't make me feel like I'm getting my $$'s worth from a lost coin, but at least it'll be partial credit... :mad:

I have 8 new coins acctivated and ready to be set free they have holes in them, and a travel buddy attached, while I know some caches don't think drilling a hole makes a difference it makes us feel better, and we try and put the hole in a place that will not spoil the picture on the coin.

I've duplicated some of my coins so I'd have one to keep and one to set free, but I've yet to let it loose. I like the idea of drilling the hole and attaching a travel buddy. One question, what type & size drill bit did you use on the coin?

[One question, what type & size drill bit did you use on the coin?

Type - I use what I have around. They are quality bits - TiN coated, I think - but the coins are typically struck in a relatively soft metal so that probably doesn't matter, Pilot point bits made for wood might not be the best choice though.

Size - If I'm attaching a Travel Buddy tag, I use a hole just big enough for the chain to smoothly pass through. There is a 1/8" bit sitting in the drill at the moment, so that is probably what I last used. If I use a cable tie to attache a mission (laminated luggage tag), then I drill a larger hole - again just big enough to attach the cable tie.

I always try to put the hole in the least obtrusive place on the geocoin and I stay clear of the tracking code and "trackable on . . ." text. I have an inexpensive drill press. With it, I can carefully control where the hole goes. I wouldn't want to walk a drill bit over the face of a coin with a hand-held drill. But, with care, a hand-held drill would probably be ok too.

[One question, what type & size drill bit did you use on the coin?

But, with care, a hand-held drill would probably be ok too.

Not when I have a drill press in the garage! :anibad: Thanks for the info. I now have a reason to head to a big home improvement store (begins with L). All of my drill bits are for wood. I get to buy some new "toys"! Woohoo!

How would you feel having a laminated picture of the coin in your collection instead of the real deal? (and if that's ok with you, then keep the laminated one and release the real one!) To me it's pointless and I have no interest in finding a paper imitation, that's not what I went to see.

As far as doing it for a TB, little different being that those are tags that all look the same, seen one, seen em all.

For those thinking about drilling, you don't need a drill press a good ole' handheld will do just fine (yes, we have both, but the handheld is much easier to get to). Put a piece of wood under it and drill away, it goes right through, no sliding or anything.

Personally, I understand why people do replicas, but the only thing that annoys me is when you can't tell they are replicas from looking at their page. I don't bother going to find replicas, but do go look for actual coins to log and move along (and don't log coins at events!).

When I finally get around to putting my coins out travelling, they will not be replicas. However, it is quite likely they will be altered in some way to attach a goal tag and reduce collectibility.

I have not seen a Geocoin replica yet, so it's uncommon for me so far. Not sure if this regional or not. :)

I have not seen a Geocoin replica yet, so it's uncommon for me so far. Not sure if this regional or not. :)

I found one in a cache. It was a USA Geocoin. It said it was a replacement for a missing USA Geocoin. I would have rather found the coin but understand why they did this.

You got it.

Sharing a pic is not sharing your collection a pic sucks to find in a cache you can see pics of coins on the net if you want to share then send the coin out, not a pic

I have found replica coins, it's not very exciting to find a plastic laminate, but then again, I have found some fairly dull TBs too. I move them all, if I can help with their mission.

My own take on this is that I cannot afford to buy two coins to keep one for my collection and send the other out to travel, and yet I am bored with the 'show and tell' of coins at events. I have decided to send out TB type objects with the coin number attached, and try to make those objects relevant to the coin type and also think up a relevant mission. If people dont like it, they dont have to log it. If people take it upon themselves to dispose of my coin-labelled bugs because it does not fit in with what they think should happen, then that makes them as low as any other TB thief. I do think the idea to label the TB/coin with the word COPY is a good idea, because I would not like to lure people out under false pretences, so I will take that on board when my bugs go free. Thanks guys!

I have not seen a Geocoin replica yet, so it's uncommon for me so far. Not sure if this regional or not. :ph34r:

I found one in a cache. It was a USA Geocoin. It said it was a replacement for a missing USA Geocoin. I would have rather found the coin but understand why they did this.

Which reminds me, and I have to correct what I said... I did run into a wooden token pretending to be a USA Geocoin, using the same tracking number. It wasn't a replica, it was outright theft without the owner's consent, and that's why I didn't make the connection to this thread. :wub:

As a coin collector & releaser (just getting started) I was very disappointed to find a laminated copy of a coin in a cache. It was the first coin I had found in the wild & what a disappointment it was to not find the real thing. I did pick it up & move it along. I don't know if I will do that again. If it's a replacement for a lost coin, I'd probably move it, but if it's just instead of the real thing, I think I'll just leave it. I understand why it's done. I don't know yet how well mine will do. I have drilled holes in them & tagged them, to try to help them have a longer life span. I know some will turn up missing. Life happens. I also don't like the logging of lists at events. But that's OK if that's what they want to do. I just don't do it. I really want to release these for others to enjoy! If too many of them start turning up missing, I will just stop releasing them. It sounds like some have great success with them in the wild & some don't. I'm willing to try. :ph34r:

Yea, I found a replica $100 dollar bill in a cache and I left it behind too, I’m looking for the real ones. Some coin collectors have nearly 10 bucks in their coins and have 100 + coins. Some are primarily interested in sharing their coins and making a copy and keeping their investment would be better than loosing the original coins to another cacher’s collection and/or profit as we have recently seen on the E store. This is an alternative way of sharing coins and more significant than passing out a list of numbers at an event. I’ve not found a TB that had a value of $10 but mostly the same value as a copy of a coin. Jeeps TB’s are fun to find, where are they? If I had to pay for all the Jeep TB numbers I’m sure I would find a way to recycle/copy the Jeep TB’s.

Seems to me if a guy looses over $50 in coins, especially 3 in one weekend, Laminating geocoins is the smart thing to do to keep from loosing your investment. I have about a grand in my Personal coins and have about over 400 coins I have either bought or traded for. You wont find me putting them in caches just to find them dissapear by the first one thet gets there.... I learned my lesson along time ago. Good idea LZ33... Keep it up....

1markymark1

Edited by 1markymark1

Since finding coins in caches is really only about the icon, what does it matter if it's the real thing or a copy? I don't care either way. I'll move them along.

Personally, I do drill holes into the real coin and attach travel buddy tags. So far they all seem to be doing ok with the exception of the one Cymbaline misplaced, grrrr :smile:

Since finding coins in caches is really only about the icon, what does it matter if it's the real thing or a copy? I don't care either way. I'll move them along.

Personally, I do drill holes into the real coin and attach travel buddy tags. So far they all seem to be doing ok with the exception of the one Cymbaline misplaced, grrrr :D

Only about the icon? Why is that? Is there a prize for the person who get's the most little bitty pictures on their computer screen? :smile: For me it's not about the icon it's the coins. A copy is weak. Stealing someone elses coin and replacing it with a copy is unbelievable! I haven't found any "copies" so I don't know what I'd do with them. That poeple would steal coins boggles my mind. Do these people have no morals whatsoever? They should be flogged. :)

I just want to add that it is heartening to see that there is widespread annoyance at the idea of FINDING the laminated coin in a cache. There were some threads awhile back that seemed to indicate that PLACING them was the best idea since the wheel.

Do you really believe that the posts in this particular forum represent the widespread geocaching community? I know I don't believe that.

I'm looking forward to finding a cut-out of a WJTB in a cache also...

Fake coins in caches are lame...either keep the coin under your pillow, or place the actual coin in a cache...no half-measures please...

Jamie - NFA

What about fake YJTB's? Huh? Huh? (you know ... the bus)

Yeah, I thought so...

:laughing:

I know I'm not about to help my popularity out there, but then I don't find myself all that popular anyway. I am way late on this response, as I just found some lost e-mail, and a friend sent me a link to this forum. I have all my coins copied, and NOT ONE really out there in a cache. This is what I choose to do, and since I paid for the coins, I'll do just what I please with them. When you pay for your coins, you can do the same, and I promise I will not hold a grudge with any of you for not doing it my way. If you really want something to discuss, why don't you write an essay and explain to me about all the people there are in geocaching, that apparently have no real life, and spend every non-geocaching moment online, on one of several forums that they are watching, and spend most of that time griping about how everyone is doing this game wrong??? No wait... don't bother, because I won't be here to read the stupid things you have to say about that either! I never really took an interest in the forums, but had someone send me a link a while back to get my opinion on something. That is what happened this time as well. And every time that I have EVER been on any one of the forums that I have visited, it has only been a bunch of people griping about something they didn't agree with. Personally, I strongly agree with LZ33; 1MarkyMark1; AtlantaGal; and Michigan_Chris on this one, but I will tell you all that I do NOT geocache for your pleasure! I thoroughly love it for the fun that I have. And I get sick of the sassy logs that I receive about the coins, and about travel bugs, and about this and about that. GROW UP PEOPLE!

I know I'm not about to help my popularity out there, but then I don't find myself all that popular anyway. I am way late on this response, as I just found some lost e-mail, and a friend sent me a link to this forum. I have all my coins copied, and NOT ONE really out there in a cache. This is what I choose to do, and since I paid for the coins, I'll do just what I please with them. When you pay for your coins, you can do the same, and I promise I will not hold a grudge with any of you for not doing it my way. If you really want something to discuss, why don't you write an essay and explain to me about all the people there are in geocaching, that apparently have no real life, and spend every non-geocaching moment online, on one of several forums that they are watching, and spend most of that time griping about how everyone is doing this game wrong??? No wait... don't bother, because I won't be here to read the stupid things you have to say about that either! I never really took an interest in the forums, but had someone send me a link a while back to get my opinion on something. That is what happened this time as well. And every time that I have EVER been on any one of the forums that I have visited, it has only been a bunch of people griping about something they didn't agree with. Personally, I strongly agree with LZ33; 1MarkyMark1; AtlantaGal; and Michigan_Chris on this one, but I will tell you all that I do NOT geocache for your pleasure! I thoroughly love it for the fun that I have. And I get sick of the sassy logs that I receive about the coins, and about travel bugs, and about this and about that. GROW UP PEOPLE!

Did you actually want to add to this discussion or just come in here, spout off, and then disappear?

If the former, you're not exactly opening the door for meaningful discussions.

If the latter, thanks for just stirring the pot.

Should you choose to actually have a discussion here, I suggest you read the forum guidelines about respect before posting again or you're right - you won't be here to read anything.

I'll caution others before flaming this poster about the same guidelines. Odds are that this person won't be here to read the replies so please keep the discussion on topic - not that this hasn't been beaten to death in the other recent thread of the same nature...

Finding a geocoin in a cache is fun and exciting. It also tells me something about the owners attitude. They fall into 3 categories.

1. Releasing an actual unmolested geocoin tells me the owner is adventurous and doesn't mind taking risks. They basically trust people.

"dadgum the torpedos, full steam ahead".

2. Releasing a drilled defaced geocoin tells me the owner will take some risk but is basically untrusting.

3. Releasing a picture of a geocoin tells me the owner is afraid of risk and doesn't trust anyone. They'd probably require their Mom to put up the farm as collateral on a $20.00 loan.

...And until people stop stealing coins that myself, and others, pay for that is what I will be leaving inside of cache containers. I have begun to leave copies ONLY because something/person here has been bound and determined to steal MANY TB's and COINS in the last year in Colorado Springs.

I have seen some very nice coins ( UK's, Icecreamman's Coins, etc.) up and disappear due to other peoples disrespect, towards other cachers.

I am sorry if some see me as being "unfair," but my money is not free, nor are the coins I purchase to share here, nor tb's I purchase to play with, and release so that other FAIR playing gamers can use them also in their stats here also.

I am all for having a great, fantastic, fun filled time in this gamefield but sometimes the $$$ adds up.

How would you like it if your GPS was stolen?

Finding a geocoin in a cache is fun and exciting. It also tells me something about the owners attitude. They fall into 3 categories.

1. Releasing an actual unmolested geocoin tells me the owner is adventurous and doesn't mind taking risks. They basically trust people.

"dadgum the torpedos, full steam ahead".

2. Releasing a drilled defaced geocoin tells me the owner will take some risk but is basically untrusting.

3. Releasing a picture of a geocoin tells me the owner is afraid of risk and doesn't trust anyone. They'd probably require their Mom to put up the farm as collateral on a $20.00 loan.

Or maybe:

1. Releasing an actual unmolested geocoin tells me the owner is naive and gullible and is probably waiting for General Mugubu to wire him or her some money from Nigeria. They basically trust people.

"Let's pick up that hitchhiker".

2. Releasing a drilled defaced geocoin tells me the owner at least has a clue.

3. Releasing a picture of a geocoin tells me the owner has been around long enough to watch yellow jeeps practically all disappear, white jeeps practically all disappear, and several of his or her own geocoins and travel bugs disappear. He or she realizes that putting an expensive coin in a cache is ultimately like flushing money down a toilet.

:ph34r: