Maryland Geocaching Society (mgs) June Meet And Greet

Vinny & Sue Team

I have become aware over that past year that some geocachers in Maryland never visit the Maryland Geocaching Society website and forums, and that a good number of these same folks do not subscribe to Instant Notify and the weekly listings of new (local) caches placed. Thus, such folks often never hear of events sponsored by Maryland Geocaching Society such as picnics and Meet and Greet events.

In light of these facts, I wish to post a note here about the upcoming MGS June Meet and Greet on June 4, 2006, which will be held at the Manor Area in Cunningham Falls State Park, just off Route 15 in the Thurmont area. Please click here for the link to the listing page for the MGS June Meet and Greet.

I am posting this notice largely because I attended the MGS Cache Across Maryland 2006 picnic this past Saturday, and had a wonderful time connecting with other cachers, many of whom I had not met until then. And, I have consistently noticed that, for any of several good reasons, the MGS events often draw a sizeable number of attendees from outside of Maryland. So, if you live in Maryland or in a nearby state, or in fact, if you live anywhere, I would, as an active MGS member, like to invite you to attend the M&G! You do not need to be a member of MGS to attend -- the event is open to all geocachers.

And, as an added bonus feature, I have heard that MGS and Vyper4 (the event organizer) have already announced that the upcoming Meet and Greet event will feature a genuine landing of an alien mother ship at the event, offering each attendee a chance to meet and chat with alien grays and alien reptoid reptilian shapeshifters from a distant dying galaxy. And, MGS and Vyper4 have announced that there will even be a contest for alien abduction, where the winner will be abducted by the space aliens to a tropical planet in the Zeta Reticuli system for one week, and will be allowed to seek extra-terrestrial geocaches on that planet to their heart's content for much of the week.

Hope to see you there!

Vinny,

I have to say that I love your sense of humor!

Terri

Awww, Teri, thanks! Actually, several folks (all of them strangers to me until that moment) approached me at the CAM 2006 event the other day and told me the same thing -- I was very much touched! Turns out that apparently a lot of folks in Maryland (and surrounding areas) read the MGS forums but don't ever send posts, and thus I never even knew that they existed till they approached me!

Now, to get down to more important things.... perhaps even dangerous and scary things. Terri, by your act of sending your post to this thread, you have alerted the aliens to the fact that you exist and that you think that they are "humorous". This is not good; they do not like to be laughed at. They take their mission of invading earth very seriously. . . So, they have likely already entered you into their database of candidates of alien abduction due to this slip-up on your part. And so, I beg you, if you come to the June M&G, PLEASE wear a helmet made of tinfoil (aluminum foil) which covers your entire head, so that the aliens cannot control your mind!

Vinny,

I have to say that I love your sense of humor!

Terri

Awww, Teri, thanks! Actually, several folks (all of them strangers to me until that moment) approached me at the CAM 2006 event the other day and told me the same thing -- I was very much touched! Turns out that apparently a lot of folks in Maryland (and surrounding areas) read the MGS forums but don't ever send posts, and thus I never even knew that they existed till they approached me!

Now, to get down to more important things.... perhaps even dangerous and scary things. Terri, by your act of sending your post to this thread, you have alerted the aliens to the fact that you exist and that you think that they are "humorous". This is not good; they do not like to be laughed at. They take their mission of invading earth very seriously. . . So, they have likely already entered you into their database of candidates of alien abduction due to this slip-up on your part. And so, I beg you, if you come to the June M&G, PLEASE wear a helmet made of tinfoil (aluminum foil) which covers your entire head, so that the aliens cannot control your mind!

Actually, we didn't get to talk while at CAM event. You were talking to Woody as I was getting ready to leave.

Now, important stuff....I'm a friend of Mork's brother so already in an alien database. GPS does not work once past Earth. Have a helmet that's DOT approved....no aluminum though.

I don't know if we'll get to the June M&G. We're heading to New England the same week and pennies will have to be counted. I'm hoping for one on the eastern shore as it's been a while since I spent any time over there.

Terri

Actually, we didn't get to talk while at CAM event. You were talking to Woody as I was getting ready to leave.

Now, important stuff....I'm a friend of Mork's brother so already in an alien database. GPS does not work once past Earth. Have a helmet that's DOT approved....no aluminum though.

I don't know if we'll get to the June M&G. We're heading to New England the same week and pennies will have to be counted. I'm hoping for one on the eastern shore as it's been a while since I spent any time over there.

Terri

Terri, thanks for your note, and you are entirely correct that we did not get to chat at the excellent CAM 2006 event! I did notice you at least two times, once while I was speaking with Parrotmadness, and once while I was speaking with Woody. And, the two couples who approached me to tell me how much they loved my humor had been until that moment, total strangers to me; both were from other parts of the state and I had never even heard of their geo handles until I met them. In each case, it turned out that they visit the MGS forums recently, but never send posts themselves (i.e., what some folks call "lurkers"), and somehow they had noticed all my posts filled with my sick humor and remembered them with fondness (eeek!). ;):D

I believe that for full protection against the aliens, you will need to cover your motorcycle helmet with aluminum foil. . .

As for June 4, well, whatever you guys choose to do, I wish you the best, and... have fun! And, I know what you mean about travel -- we need to get up to NJ soon to visit my sister and my dad.

I have become aware over that past year that some geocachers in Maryland never visit the Maryland Geocaching Society website and forums, and that a good number of these same folks do not subscribe to Instant Notify and the weekly listings of new (local) caches placed. Thus, such folks often never hear of events sponsored by Maryland Geocaching Society such as picnics and Meet and Greet events.

In light of these facts, I wish to post a note here about the upcoming MGS June Meet and Greet on June 4, 2006, which will be held at the Manor Area in Cunningham Falls State Park, just off Route 15 in the Thurmont area. Please click here for the link to the listing page for the MGS June Meet and Greet.

I am posting this notice largely because I attended the MGS Cache Across Maryland 2006 picnic this past Saturday, and had a wonderful time connecting with other cachers, many of whom I had not met until then. And, I have consistently noticed that, for any of several good reasons, the MGS events often draw a sizeable number of attendees from outside of Maryland. So, if you live in Maryland or in a nearby state, or in fact, if you live anywhere, I would, as an active MGS member, like to invite you to attend the M&G! You do not need to be a member of MGS to attend -- the event is open to all geocachers.

And, as an added bonus feature, I have heard that MGS and Vyper4 (the event organizer) have already announced that the upcoming Meet and Greet event will feature a genuine landing of an alien mother ship at the event, offering each attendee a chance to meet and chat with alien grays and alien reptoid reptilian shapeshifters from a distant dying galaxy. And, MGS and Vyper4 have announced that there will even be a contest for alien abduction, where the winner will be abducted by the space aliens to a tropical planet in the Zeta Reticuli system for one week, and will be allowed to seek extra-terrestrial geocaches on that planet to their heart's content for much of the week.

Hope to see you there!

Sort of unrelated, but we're planning a trip to Maryland for Memorial Day weekend, and tried to join the group to get some info. I signed us up several days ago but we haven't heard anything back??

Are Brews allowed at the M&G?

I honestly do not know the answer to that question! I have definitely seen picnickers drinking canned and bottled beer at some of the Maryland State Parks in the past, including at Cunningham Falls State Park, but I am not sure whether it is "legal" -- whether their rules allow it. And, since MGS tries to have a strong family-friendly focus, it is possible that the MGS admins might discourage drinkng beer even if it were legal under park rules. On the other hand, I have definitely seen pics of earlier MGS events where folks were drinking beer, but that may be a thing of the distant past. There appears to be zero information on the MD DNR websites for the park about rules regarding alcohol consumption, but if I can find out more about their rules regarding alcohol tomorrow (I need to call DNR anyway about a planned extreme cache in the park...), I will let you know!

(Oh... and, if it were up to me, I would allow only organic unpasteurized, bottle-conditioned microbrew beer at such events! ;) )

Sort of unrelated, but we're planning a trip to Maryland for Memorial Day weekend, and tried to join the group to get some info. I signed us up several days ago but we haven't heard anything back??

Gee, I welcome your question, and I am glad you asked it, and I do not feel that your question is very far off topic! Well, lets look at this: I have just checked the MGS forums, and I am not seeing any posts from you at all from within the past 30 days asking for info on good caches, etc. So, it is possible that you are stuck at an earlier stage, and that you are saying that you tried to join the MGS but that you never received confirmation of your membershp. For some reason, this happened to me too when I tried to join over a year ago. I made seven attempts to join over a month, but never received any confirmation/validation for any of them. I finally contacted the website administrator, and it turned out that there was an occasional bug in the website software -- he finally had to push my membership through manually. However, many other folks join every day without problems, so it must be a relatively rare glitch. I will send a quick note to Robert, who kinda acts as the website admin, giving him your gc.com geo handle and telling him you seem to be having problems joining the site! I hope that we can get you in, as it is a large and friendly group, and many folks will be willing to recommend caches, etc.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

As a followup to my earlier reply to you (above) -- I have ben advised that your signup hassle at the MGS website has been fixed, and that you are now members of the MGS website. I wish you the best with your trip! (BTW, I attended grad school just above Pittsburgh, at IUP, in Indiana, PA, so I am familiar with that area.)

Geo-Cad, here is at least part of the answer which I promised to you in response to your question. . .

DNR says that consumption of beer is allowed at all picnic areas and pavilions at the park, but that the following rules apply:

• DNR permits reasonable consumption of beer at most state parks, including Cunningmham Falls State Park
  • only adults of age 21 or older may consume beer
  • beer must be dispensed only in cans, bottles or cups
  • beer must be present only in modest and reasonable amounts -- in other words, no kegs, no piles of cases of beer.
  • beer may only be present and may only be consumed at picnic tables and pavilions where NO underage persons are present. If any underage persons are present, then beer must be locked in a car or locked cooler.

Oh, and then there is my added rule :( , which is:

* Any and all beer offered at events must only be organic unpasteurized microbrew light ales.

And, of course, MGS is free to impose their own rules or guidelines on top of these DNR rules as well! I will cc Robert at MGS so he has a chance to offer input on this matter!

Hope this helps! I will let you know more as I learn it!

Hope to see you there!

I just moved to Maryland and I would love to go to this event. I've been wanting to go to an event for a long time now but unfortunately all the events that have been within reach have all been held on the first weekend of the month. I always have to work the first weekend of the month and so always miss the events. Oh well... maybe someday.

Hope to see you there!

I just moved to Maryland and I would love to go to this event. I've been wanting to go to an event for a long time now but unfortunately all the events that have been within reach have all been held on the first weekend of the month. I always have to work the first weekend of the month and so always miss the events. Oh well... maybe someday.

Come on down to the CITO at St Mary's River State Park. It's about 2 hours south of Riverdale and there are lots of caches in the area besides lots of cachers! It may not be a M&G but quite a few MGS members will probably be there. Last time I counted there were 14 caches in this park alone and at least 10 within a couple of miles of it.

Terri

Geo-Cad, here is at least part of the answer which I promised to you in response to your question. . .

[*] beer must be present only in modest and reasonable amounts -- in other words, no kegs, no piles of cases of beer.

What if I think a keg is "modest and reasonable"? Who makes these regulations with such stupid, subjective verbage?

[*] beer must be present only in modest and reasonable amounts -- in other words, no kegs, no piles of cases of beer.

What if I think a keg is "modest and reasonable"? Who makes these regulations with such stupid, subjective verbage?

Ah, those are the words of a true beer lover! :laughing:

ParrotRob, the guidelines which I quoted were the words of the DNR administrator with whom I spoke, and it now appears that the same rule is extant in almost all of the MD state parks where ingestion of alcoholic beverages is allowed. He explained that while they do not mind light drinking (so long as no one under drinking age is present at the picnic table), they specifically do not allow keg parties and "beer parties", i.e., venues where drinking beer is a main focus of the event, in part because of the behavioral issues that excessive drinking may lead to -- this then can create an enforcement and liability problem for DNR and the park police. I personally agree with those guidelines (but then again, my idea of "heavy drinking" is ingesting five ounces of a good unpasteurized microbrew beer once a week!), and more importantly, I can see the eminent sense of having such guidelines in place. I believe that any final decisions as to appropriateness are left to the ranger or DNR police officer on the scene. :lol:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Wow! In light of the amazing and massive turnout this morning (Saturday, May 27th) for the "small" Memorial Day Weekend breakfast Meet and Greet in Hagerstown, I am truly afraid to even try to contemplate how many folks may show up tor the MGS Meet and Greet next weekend (June 4) in Cunningham Falls State Park! In fact, if the turnout for this morning's M&G is any indicator, David (Vyper 4, the organizer) may need to change the event type for next week's event to the newly created "Mega-Event" type!

And, speaking of this morning's breakfast Meet and Greet:

I wish to extend heartfelt thanks to Larry, LPYankeefan, for organizing the incredible party this morning, and to everyone who showed up! It was much fun meeting lots of new faces, and also connecting with all the familiar faces again! Thank you to all! As I have mentioned above, the massive turnout for this "tiny" breakfast event leaves me truly worried about exactly how many people may turn out for the much-larger June M&G next weekend!

Oh, and I even got to meet Katerbug this morning at the party -- Katerbug, like me, is one of the few locals who is active on the national geo forums here! Thanks!

Ah, those are the words of a true beer lover! :laughing:

All I was thinking was to bring a few to down while BS'ing...

(A Few = 18)

:laughing: