Gpsmap 60c Vs Csx On Signal

I have both. the csx is incredibly improved.

This weekend I was driving with a sports car club through some incredibly windy mountain canyon roads with dense tree cover.

I checked out my track logs and they stayed right on top of the road, never deviating more than 20 feet or so. My CS or my older streetpilot III would lose signal very often and would not produce tracks that stayed on the road.

I have both. Right now I’m sitting in an 8” block building with a steel door built within an all steel building. I’m reading between 70’ – 80’ accuracy with a very low signal on my 60CSX. The 60CS loses signal as soon as I walk into the steel building. I lost a lock on my 60CSX a couple weeks ago but I was about 40’ back in a cave. :rolleyes:

Do you like the compass on the CSX? Heard from another member that it is very touchy to 1/4" movement - has to be almost perfectly flat to work? Anybody else find that?

Yes to all 3 questions. The electronic campus is nice but not as nice as my 3-axis compass in my Meridian Platinum. It must be held level to use the electronic compass. It will give you a “Hold Level” warning if you don’t. And as with all electronic compasses you should calibrate it every time you change the batteries.

I had a Map76S that always had a good lock on the satellites, but when I carried a Map60Cx and the Map76S in each hand, the 60Cx caused the 76S to loose lock alot on a good long hike. A good test, would be to keep the GPS units more than 5 feet apart.

I had a Map76S that always had a good lock on the satellites, but when I carried a Map60Cx and the Map76S in each hand, the 60Cx caused the 76S to loose lock alot on a good long hike. A good test, would be to keep the GPS units more than 5 feet apart.

How do you know it was the 60Cx causing the GPS 76 to lose lock? The GPSr are receivers and although they have oscillators, they are and must be extremely well shielded, and they do not run at the same frequency as the GPS signal.

I think you were just seeing the difference in performance between the old and new receiver chip sets. Yes I am an Electronic Engineer. :rolleyes: