Geocoin Do's And Don'ts

fox-and-the-hound

Fox raised an interesting question to me the other day. A new coin was deposited in a cache that we had already found in the past. He wanted to go see it in person and possibly move it. The question is: Is it bad form to take a coin from a cache you've already been to and move it elsewhere? Is it even worse form to move a coin or tb from someone else's cache to one of your own? If we go and see this coin we could just use the "discover" option to aquire an icon, but would moving it be a bad idea. I'm not sure how I would feel if someone took a coin from our cache and moved it to theirs. As long as it keeps moving I'm sure the coin owner wouldn't care. I'm just trying to guage reactions and see if this has ever been addressed. Thanks for any advice :laughing:

I do not feel it is bad form to visit a pre visited cache in order to retrieve a bug. This is especially true in the case of Jeeps and coins. The revisit may be the only way to get these items especially for those of us that cache too much.

Many cachers feel they most move a bug in order to log it. Additionally placing the bug in there own cache may have been the quickest way to get the bug back in circulation.

Team Sand Dollar

I do not feel it is bad form to visit a pre visited cache in order to retrieve a bug. This is especially true in the case of Jeeps and coins. The revisit may be the only way to get these items especially for those of us that cache too much.

Many cachers feel they most move a bug in order to log it. Additionally placing the bug in there own cache may have been the quickest way to get the bug back in circulation.

Team Sand Dollar

Ditto on what they said. If the coin/bug/Jeep is in circulation it wants to move. We'll re-visit caches for bugs when we're getting ready for a trip. Coins should be treated the same way.

There are a couple caches close to me that I watch to see if a TB or coin has been sitting idle for a while. If so, I have no problem going back to pick it up and move it.

I don't race out right after they've been dropped, but if a person intends for their bug or coin to move, why not help it out if you can?

I'm putting my coins out there for others to enjoy. I want to see them move. The only things I can think of that I don't want you to do is keep them or deface them. Otherwise have fun with them. I'll be putting a bunch out near where I live. I can't put them all in brand new caches. I'll have to put them in ones most of the cachers around here have already been to. If they want to log them & get their cool icons, that's what I want them to do! However they want to do that is fine with me. Have Fun!! :rolleyes:

Team Sand Dollar

I completely aggree with SD.

I would just add that it is lame to post (2) found it logs so to the same cache. make sure if you post a second log to log it as a note. and if all you want to do is log the traveler you need not take it with you. jot the number down and log it in and out of the cache. It is not a virtual log if you actually physically touch the traveler.

of course the only down side is that if you log the bug in and out of the cache others might accuse you of virtual logging so it would not hurt to either log a note in the paper log book to prove you where there or just take the bug and drop it in the next cache

<_<