Warm Versus Cold Weather Caching

I've not been geocaching very long- Since last November. I've got 130 - 140 caches to my credit and i've placed a nice series of geocaches for backpackers and hikers along the Sheltowee Trace. I've gained a little experience is what i'm trying to say.

Now that warm weather is upon us - i see that many more people are out geocaching. I went geocaching all winter and to tell you the truth - i think i prefer the cold weather caching! Lately I have made attempts on several geocaches that I couldn't get too because there were to many muggles about! In fact - I drove to Indy (250 miles one way) and tried to geocache most of the way- and I had more DNFs by a factor of ten than on other trips because of muggles!

Lets face it: When you see a person snooping around a place- poking and prodding around - it makes you wonder what the heck they're up to. I don't like being seen when i'm out geocaching. I think i like winter geocaching better - Or maybe i just need a partner; seeing a single person out wondering about versus two or more is a bit more suspicious - still just learning so chime in

I've not been geocaching very long- Since last November. I've got 130 - 140 caches to my credit and i've placed a nice series of geocaches for backpackers and hikers along the Sheltowee Trace. I've gained a little experience is what i'm trying to say.

Now that warm weather is upon us - i see that many more people are out geocaching. I went geocaching all winter and to tell you the truth - i think i prefer the cold weather caching! Lately I have made attempts on several geocaches that I couldn't get too because there were to many muggles about! In fact - I drove to Indy (250 miles one way) and tried to geocache most of the way- and I had more DNFs by a factor of ten than on other trips because of muggles!

Lets face it: When you see a person snooping around a place- poking and prodding around - it makes you wonder what the heck they're up to. I don't like being seen when i'm out geocaching. I think i like winter geocaching better - Or maybe i just need a partner; seeing a single person out wondering about versus two or more is a bit more suspicious - still just learning so chime in

I agree winter caching is great. My suggestion if you don't like muggles is to get out and find those "off the beaten path" caches. We did two caches sunday afternoon that were miles from the nearest paved road... and there was no problem with muggles. Here in WV, most of those type caches are difficult at best and life threatening at worst most of the winter.

I like Winter Caching :rolleyes: I like Spring and Summer caching, BUT, during the warm and hot periods we do have to account for the Poison ivy, oak, and sumac, ticks, black flies, flying and stinging insects, sticky briars, etc. Muggles are the lest of my problems. :laughing:

Don't try to sneak around and find the cache, put on a reflector vest and look official, or grab a bag and pick up garbage while rooting around the bushes. Act like you should be there and most people won't give you a second look.

Or you could just start bowing down to the bushes and call out "He has been here! Praise the bush!" Either everyone will run the other way, or will join you and call you a Prophet! :P:(

Caching in the winter here CAN be done. Of course, not many people want to cache in -30F and colder...

I love to cache in snowy weather, I just don't get a chance to do it locally. Once you understand that you will not be able to find every cache and you won't be able to go after as many, its all good.

I like winter caching, I started this past November when I got my GPSr for my birthday. I also like drizzly day caching. You know those days when it threatens to rain, or just drizzles enough to keep "normal" people out of the parks, but not enough to prevent you from being outside. I try to go out on the days when the fewest number of people are going to be in the parks. I just like it better when I have a park to myself, that way there are no funny stares when I come walking out of the woods. I'm lucky, my work schedule always gives me Tuesdays and Wednesdays off, so I can go during the week when everybody else is at work. I save the weekends for caches in business areas.

I grow up in SW Oklahoma where the summers are hot and humid. I would go outdoors anytime I got the chance. I lived in Arizona for 6 years and went hiking in the desert at least once a week. When I got into caching, I was living in Alaska. The snow just added to the fun. So to answer the question, I don't care as long as I'm cachin'. :(:(:(

:laughing: I definitely prefer the cooler temperatures for caching. I started this past fall also and right now I feel like a tick buffet and I am also few quarts low on blood due to the heavy mosquitos in my area. The poison ivy is also fierce and I am especially sensitive to it. :) I am going to avoid wooded areas until fall... unfortunately, unless I wrap myself in mosquito netting :huh:

I grow up in SW Oklahoma where the summers are hot and humid. I would go outdoors anytime I got the chance. I lived in Arizona for 6 years and went hiking in the desert at least once a week. When I got into caching, I was living in Alaska. The snow just added to the fun. So to answer the question, I don't care as long as I'm cachin'. :laughing::huh::)

I have to agree, It's fun anytime as long as you go prepaired. Don't go in the winter time in your bathing suit.......

Spring and fall are my favorite times to go out caching. The weather is neither too hot, nor too cold. I've always liked New England woods in the fall, and the spring is really good too. Spring is probably the best time for waterfalls. Winter's nice for them too when they're all frozen, but I don't much like trudging too far in the cold and snow.