So I Just Had The Greatest Idea...

Tell me what you think.

In a couple of days, I'm going to do pick up a half dozen ammo boxes from Army Navy Surplus. I'm going to replace a Tupperware I have with one, and then place one or two caches with a FTF prize.

An ammo box.

Hopefully this will inspire some more caches in my area.

Excellent Idea

Lets get rid of all broken plastic containers and replace them withing that will last forever.

Tell me what you think.

In a couple of days, I'm going to do pick up a half dozen ammo boxes from Army Navy Surplus. I'm going to replace a Tupperware I have with one, and then place one or two caches with a FTF prize.

An ammo box.

Hopefully this will inspire some more caches in my area.

Excellent Idea

Lets get rid of all broken plastic containers and replace them withing that will last forever.

Ammo cans will eventually rust away. It is the broken plastic containers that will last "forever".

Here in Arizona , we had a cache (very LARGE ammo can) where finders could claim a (smaller) ammo can as their prize. (one to a customer, please!)

YES, it's a very cool and generous idea.

The degraded debris from any plastic (Tupperware or otherwise) container will be unrecognizable long before the ammo can rusts away.

I did something similar. I hid a cache of 12 ammo boxes and sent the coords to a number of locals, asking that they take no more than two.

I too am doing something similar, but on a much LARGER scale for the Friday night meet and greet for GW4.

Here's a preview of a few of the 200+ seed pods to be given away Friday night:

96748cd8-d1b1-41c9-b26b-6ed01c3bf4e5.jpg

6fee7212-1730-4030-93fb-deeba31a900b.jpg

e821fbea-7b4f-4367-9a75-53bec4ed6ded.jpg

We counted 12,112 seed caches loaded and ready to go!

The reviewers are gonna love you!

I'm expecting death threats for pulling off the largest micro proliferation in the history of geocaching! :laughing:

That's why I'm posting this guy's picture (ParkerPlus) along with mine for the wanted posters:

5559b9a6-db99-4b9b-ae81-bbd9ba110a38.jpg

How could anyone hate a cute old guy like him?

I couldn't have completed this project without him. I'm too much of a procrastinator!

Excellent Idea. Lets get rid of all broken plastic containers and replace them withing that will last forever.

Careful - there are some land manager areas that REQUIRE transparent containers. I know you said it in jest, but for those that might not have read it as such, don't just go replacing containers unless you know the entire situation.

I too am doing something similar, but on a much LARGER scale for the Friday night meet and greet for GW4. Here's a preview of a few of the 200+ seed pods to be given away Friday night:

Why?

People should be placing caches because they have a cool location to bring people to, not because they found a micro in a seed cache. I had a micro from a seed cache for over a year rattling around in my glove compartment because I was waiting for the right spot.

I would be very interested in knowing how many of the 12,112 micros end up in icky locations just because they've got a container.

Re-read these last two paragraphs closely, I did NOT say that micros would end up in icky locations because they were micros. I would have the same problem with 12,112 regular-sized caches given away and the proliferation of icky caches in bad locations

Edited by Markwell

Brother, that's a LOT of coffee. You must have bionic kidneys.

Hmmm, there are a lot of empty coffee containers like that here at work, I never thought to use them as cache containers because A: I didn't think they'd hold up for very long and B: the smell.

Let me know how those work out for you Snoog.

BTW, evil. Plain evil. I love it :rolleyes:

Hmmm, there are a lot of empty coffee containers like that here at work, I never thought to use them as cache containers because A: I didn't think they'd hold up for very long and B: the smell.

BTW, evil. Plain evil. I love it :rolleyes:

um, Vegas, I'll let you in on a secret.

They don't last very long.

the smell can be taken care of by bleaching them. Unless you work for Procter & God, and can get them before they have been used. But that doesn't change the fact that as cache containers (at least those I have seen here in OH), they do not hold up well.

Edited by 4leafclover

the smell can be taken care of by bleaching them. Unless you work for Procter & God, and can get them before they have been used. But that doesn't change the fact that as cache containers (at least those I have seen here in OH), they do not hold up well.

In the Houston area there are quite a few that lasted a couple years, because that's how long I have been giving them away at events. I have no data on how they will survive snow, but direct sunlight and wet weather seems to cause little or no damage to them. They are very water resistant even over a long period of time out in the elements.... A bleach wash is always good to keep the critters away.....

Honestly though, no cache should last forever. It will be interesting to see how long the seed pods last and how many of the seeds actually get placed. I'm expecting 50% attrition (or more) on the seed containers....

Like Markwell, I have a couple micros from a breeder cache that I never quite found the right spot for.....

Edited by Snoogans

I too am doing something similar, but on a much LARGER scale for the Friday night meet and greet for GW4. Here's a preview of a few of the 200+ seed pods to be given away Friday night:

Why?

People should be placing caches because they have a cool location to bring people to, not because they found a micro in a seed cache. I had a micro from a seed cache for over a year rattling around in my glove compartment because I was waiting for the right spot.

I would be very interested in knowing how many of the 12,112 micros end up in icky locations just because they've got a container.

Re-read these last two paragraphs closely, I did NOT say that micros would end up in icky locations because they were micros. I would have the same problem with 12,112 regular-sized caches given away and the proliferation of icky caches in bad locations

Wow... You are the last person that I thought would accentuate the negative about this project.

However, I never learned much from someone that agreed with me. Rather than hijack this thread any further, I invite anyone that cares to, to go over to the ODS Project Forum..... (psst...click the link on my sig line.) Input, whether positive, or negative, can help the project improve its goals. Just BE CONSTRUCTIVE is all I ask.

Why?

I'll answer that with words of mine that you've already quoted, "for the Friday night meet and greet for GW4."

A project of this size would overwhelm a large city if distributed locally. At GW4 the chances of that happening are quite small since people are coming from all over this country and several others around the world.

The overall goal of this project is to UNITE the entire geocaching continuum in as few degrees as possible. Do the math. If less than half of these caches get hidden, no geocacher in the world would be able to go much beyond 3 degrees of separation from this project.

Edited by Snoogans

Yep!

I drink a half a pot before work and a full pot at work. In the evenings, I drink a half gallon or more of iced tea, year 'round!

I only have a few of the plastic cans though.

Edited by Woodbutcher68

In the Houston area there are quite a few that lasted a couple years, because that's how long I have been giving them away at events. I have no data on how they will survive snow, but direct sunlight and wet weather seems to cause little or no damage to them. They are very water resistant even over a long period of time out in the elements.... A bleach wash is always good to keep the critters away.....

Honestly though, no cache should last forever. It will be interesting to see how long the seed pods last and how many of the seeds actually get placed. I'm expecting 50% attrition (or more) on the seed containers....

Like Markwell, I have a couple micros from a breeder cache that I never quite found the right spot for.....

Well then, I might have to 'release one into the wild' here in the Dallas area and see how it does. It seems like here water works its way into any container short of an ammo can, but if these stay dry in Houston they should work here too.

If I was still back in Nevada I wouldn't have to worry much about the rain, but I'd only give one of these containers a few months tops in that harsh dryness and sun :rolleyes:

Yep!

I drink a half a pot before work and a full pot at work. In the evenings, I drink a half gallon or more of iced tea, year 'round!

I only have a few of the plastic cans though.

Can't stand coffee! blech-ptooey.... :rolleyes:

Most of the seed pod containers 75% came from a geocacher with ZERO finds so far, by the handle of TimBar, over a period of 2 years. He supplies the coffee for his department and he liked the idea that the containers would be recycled in such an interesting way. The rest came from my mom and other cachers at events. <_<

Wow... You are the last person that I thought would accentuate the negative about this project.

Do the math. If less than half of these caches get hidden, no geocacher in the world would be able to go much beyond 3 degrees of separation from this project.

Do the math.

If less than half of these caches get hidden, and only 50% of those are hidden just because someone's got a container they can throw out in the middle of a junk yard (meaning that 50% are hidden in cool locations), then that's 3,028 caches that are great, but 3,028 caches that should never have been placed in the first place.

I'm sorry, but putting out ready made caches for people to just throw them willy-nilly and higglety-pigglety is just asking for people to put out caches in not-so-thought-out locations. When someone has to go out and get a container, procure a log book and possibly fill with trading contents, they have a vested interest in making the cache as good as possible. If there's no vested interest, then nothing can be hurt (except geocaching's reputation) by just throwing out a cache without concern about how it will "better" our sport.

So now, 3,028 newbies will go out and place another cache in a not-so-thought-out location.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Do the math. If less than half of these caches get hidden, no geocacher in the world would be able to go much beyond 3 degrees of separation from this project.

Do the math.

If less than half of these caches get hidden, and only 50% of those are hidden just because someone's got a container they can throw out in the middle of a junk yard (meaning that 50% are hidden in cool locations), then that's 3,028 caches that are great, but 3,028 caches that should never have been placed in the first place.

I'm sorry, but putting out ready made caches for people to just throw them willy-nilly and higglety-pigglety is just asking for people to put out caches in not-so-thought-out locations. When someone has to go out and get a container, procure a log book and possibly fill with trading contents, they have a vested interest in making the cache as good as possible. If there's no vested interest, then nothing can be hurt (except geocaching's reputation) by just throwing out a cache without concern about how it will "better" our sport.

So now, 3,028 newbies will go out and place another cache in a not-so-thought-out location.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I agree with what you're saying for large numbers seed caches, but I think in a situation like the OP is proposing it might work a bit better.

The 'vested interest' theory is interesting, I can see how that could be, but not always the case. I had a fully stocked, ready to go cache given to me, and I still haven't placed it, as I want to do something beyond what I normally do as a way to show thanks to the cacher that gave it to me.

Do the math.

Thanks, but no thanks.

A cache is a cache is a cache.

The hider is playing a game called geocaching. They are evidently playing it right if their cache is approved.

Giving away ready made caches will not cause them to be hidden badly. Bad caches are in the eye of the beholder.

I choose not to hunt caches that don't interest me. This project will NOT change that option for anyone.

"Failure is a hard pill to swallow until you realize the only failure you can really have in this sport is the failure to enjoy yourself."

TotemLake 4/26/04

FOR ME (and this is how *I* play the game), if I did something for the sport of Geocaching that encouraged even ONE person to go out and hide a cache that would be ill-thought-out, I would seriously look at what I was doing.

They are evidently playing it right if their cache is approved

Playing it right and playing it well are two entirely different things.

Of course, as I'm sure you will point out, just because you don't play well doesn't mean that you shouldn't play.

If there's no vested interest, then nothing can be hurt (except geocaching's reputation) by just throwing out a cache without concern about how it will "better" our sport.

Thanks, but no thanks.

A few years ago I posted a thread about a practice for those of us who like TBs to employ if we wanted to get credit for, but couldn't actually help a bug we ran across. I called it counting coup after the old Indian battle technique. I wasn't the only one doing it, and sure didn't invent it, but one geocacher exclaimed loudly that I would destroy geocaching if I kept on encouraging folks to do it.

Today, you can choose "discovered it" as an option when logging TBs & coins. Was geocaching destroyed?

I was an early advocate of an OT forum for this site. Those opposed exclaimed loudly that it would be impossible to control and it was clearly stated by TPTB that there would never be an OT forum. Need I say more...?

Only time will prove you right or wrong about the One Degree of Separation Project. I suspect that folks who choose not-so-good locations for their caches will hurt their own reputations more than that of geocaching's reputation as a whole, as it has always been.

Edited by Snoogans

FOR ME (and this is how *I* play the game), if I did something for the sport of Geocaching that encouraged even ONE person to go out and hide a cache that would be ill-thought-out, I would seriously look at what I was doing.

They are evidently playing it right if their cache is approved

Playing it right and playing it well are two entirely different things.

Of course, as I'm sure you will point out, just because you don't play well doesn't mean that you shouldn't play.

You a**Ume too much. A geocacher who insists on placing throw down hides would do so whether he received a cache from this project or not.

Next you'll tell me that GUNS kill people.

PEOPLE hide caches poorly. Caches don't hide themselves poorly. :rolleyes:

In the end, we will not agree on this. You think it's a cool idea and a way to draw people together. I think it's a bad idea and a facilitation of the proliferation of ill-conceived caches. I agree your goal is good, I just don't see the method as wise. I also don't think either of us will budge on our belief.

Drat is going to put out a hit on you.

I laughed out loud when I saw this (the above quote).

Snoog, I "know" you from reading your posts all these years (and your contributions to the Wilson House TB Hotel in my neck of the woods in So. Miss. were AMAZING!), so I know your heart's in the right place with what you're doing. But I also know that I'm not alone on the Micro Spew issue. I've been actively rambling on this on several other threads lately (as sbell and others know all too well!), so I'll leave it at "'Nuff said" on this one.

I am truly sincere about my belief that your heart's in the right place on this, though. It's the end result that concerns me.

Edited by drat19

In the end, we will not agree on this. You think it's a cool idea and a way to draw people together. I think it's a bad idea and a facilitation of the proliferation of ill-conceived caches. I agree your goal is good, I just don't see the method as wise. I also don't think either of us will budge on our belief.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. :P

Foregone conclusions have a way of reversing themselves in practice where geocaching is concerned. (See my earlier statements about some previous foregone conclusions.) I personally find a forgone conclusion distasteful, but I have a few too, so I won't throw any big stones in my glass house.

In the end it's just an experiment. People will hide the caches however they want. (or NOT hide them) I will claim no responsibility for their choices. Each person has a mind of his or her own. If they meet the guidelines, I suspect it will be up to the actual finders to decide which of those hidden in this project are good ones and which are ill-conceived.

I do what Snoogans and The Great Mizuti do, but on a much smaller scale.

I've traded in caches and have given away probably about 300 or so of my signature item (a ready to go micro cache with a pop bottle preform as the container). I've got maybe 30 of them that were actually put out as caches bookmarked (I have a note asking to be told about it if it is put out). They all seem to get pretty good reviews when logged. I'd guesstimate that 30 more or so may have been put out as caches that I am not aware of. That's a ballpark figure of 20%.

I think it's a good effort by The Great Mizuti to get more ammo cans out there (and there are not too many caches in his area to start with- I'm a little familiar with it as it's only about a 1/2 hour from me), and it will be interesting to see how Snoogans' project pans out.

Drat is going to put out a hit on you.

I laughed out loud when I saw this (the above quote).

Snoog, I "know" you from reading your posts all these years (and your contributions to the Wilson House TB Hotel in my neck of the woods in So. Miss. were AMAZING!), so I know your heart's in the right place with what you're doing. But I also know that I'm not alone on the Micro Spew issue. I've been actively rambling on this on several other threads lately (as sbell and others know all too well!), so I'll leave it at "'Nuff said" on this one.

I am truly sincere about my belief that your heart's in the right place on this, though. It's the end result that concerns me.

Wilson House is STILL the best TB hotel EVER! I'd love to see a TB cache that tops that one. <_<

Back on topic.

Thanks for being understanding.

I expected ( STILL expect ) some negativity toward this project given some of the heated arguments over micros and I knew that this project would be considered pure evil by some who follow the needle blindly to the next cache as if they have no choice in what they hunt. (Okay, that's part of the reason I wanted to do it. :mad: ) I shake my head in wonder when I hear people blame the hider for MAKING them hunt a cache they didn't like. Never give a geocacher a horse. :mad:

I still believe that negative feedback is valuable to this project as well. I welcome any and all feedback on the ODS project forum at: http://geoonedegree.proboards51.com/index.cgi

The basic end result, more micros, shouldn't be a big problem for most areas. Because of the nature of GeoWoodstock these caches should spread far and wide. At last check, 25 states and 4 countries were represented among those registered to attend ODS on Friday. There is also a 20 mile (as the crow flies) distance rule for seed pods that I hope will be followed by small groups of people going back to the same area. The vocal few opposed to the launch of this project should have little to complain about once the ball gets rolling.

There are micro caches in EVERY geocaching region and these 200+ seed pods should have little impact on local geocaching continuums while still achieving their goal to tie the entire community back to one point, through finds alone, in as few degrees as possible.

Do the math.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Jumping in here late but is my worthless opinion.

Markwell, you are too late - the majority of caches hidden these day suck as far as location placement.

The opposite of your analysis is what we should be looking at. How many of these seed caches will be placed in a cool location because someone saw a great place and had a ready-to-go cache on hand at the time.

I'll gladly accept 3000 or so crappy caches being placed for 3000 or so well placed caches. That's a good trade off.

In an un-ideal world you have to accept un-ideal solutions.

Here in Arizona , we had a cache (very LARGE ammo can) where finders could claim a (smaller) ammo can as their prize. (one to a customer, please!)

YES, it's a very cool and generous idea.

The degraded debris from any plastic (Tupperware or otherwise) container will be unrecognizable long before the ammo can rusts away.

Actually, I doubt that an ammo can would ever rust here in the Arizona desert. Plastic however will discentigrate in a short time in direct sunlight.

The Ammo can cache was eventually replenished by my team mate, because he lived such a short distance from the cache location. (Even though it was out in the desert.) I've been considering taking up the replenish job, but I need to find an inexpensive source of cans, on my current limited budget.

Wilson House is STILL the best TB hotel EVER! I'd love to see a TB cache that tops that one. <_<

Heh, I wish I could take credit for that incredible TB cache, but I'm just its most frequent visitor (I trade TBs there at least several times a month when I return from my weekly business travels). CknMiss24 deserves all the credit for that cache concept and for creating and placing it.

Do the math.

<blah-blah-blah>

Thanks, but no thanks.

You are still missing the point. He is giving these out at GW4. His audience are people who came from all over the world because they love the game. He is not going to some local event and giving them out to a bunch of noobs.

These caches will be placed all over. At worst, they will create a half dozen bad caches in each area. As you know, most of these poorly-placed caches will die a quick death.

His plan is a good one. I look forward to seeing the results.

Edited by sbell111

I think you're most ALL missing the important point!

The man is giving caches to cachers! Hey, I will say Thanks! if no one else will! ;)

Wal-Mart, K-Mart, your local camera shop or drug store have PILES of film cans they'll give away for the asking, so how's this any different?

I can't see that cachers would be any more prone to hide a micro they got at GW4 than they would anyway.

If hiding micros is a cacher's propensity, they will, if not, they won't, and this give-away likely won't affect their behavior!

I do have to say thank you to Arkansas geocachers, though... When I attended an event there recently someone had a big bin of film cans, free for the taking. I was real proud to see about as many in the bin after the event as before it!

Ed

I agree with what you're saying for large numbers seed caches, but I think in a situation like the OP is proposing it might work a bit better.

The 'vested interest' theory is interesting, I can see how that could be, but not always the case. I had a fully stocked, ready to go cache given to me, and I still haven't placed it, as I want to do something beyond what I normally do as a way to show thanks to the cacher that gave it to me.

I've been thinking about these two posts for a day now and I believe there will be a "vested interest" for those who are intrigued by the greater meaning of this project.

I think that for some who find it as fascinating as I do, it will be a way to actively participate in the small world theory as it pertains to geocaching. One need only look at the degrees of separation threads that pop up in these forums from time to time to see that there is some interest. (I believe there are at least four at last count.)

For a larger group of others, it will be a way to get their name attached to an ambitious project that may or may not become a point of note in geo-history. I'd call that a vested interest to participate.

Only time will tell if the note is good or bad.

Edited by Snoogans

You are still missing the point.

blah, blah, blah

He is not going to some local event and giving them out to a bunch of noobs.

blah, blah, blah

Nope. You've missed the point. This project is giving BREEDER caches out to a bunch of people at GW4. These people, who "came from all over the world because they love the game" are going to go home to their own particular region and take these coffee cans of film canisters and place them in probably some well thought-out location. Local people that did NOT attend GW4 will then come along and grab one of the canisters from the breeder cache and place them. I don't think I would have as much problem if the 12,000 film canisters were set on a table at GW4.

I'm willing to sit back and watch and see.

Are these being tracked with an individual numbering system so that we can see where these caches are coming from? Example: Jar 468, Container AGD4. Then you could readily see where the jars were placed, and then where the caches that come from the jars go. I would also then be interested to look at the microcosm of my little corner of the world and see what impact this project has locally.

We did a similar thing (to OP) here.

We put out a cache on the location of the first placement in NE. On the 5th anniversary of the first placement. Gave away 5 fully stocked regulars (1 ammo, 4 L&Ls) and 5 micros. A couple were so-so placements but a bunch were GREAT! It got 3-4 people to plant their FIRST cache, and those cachers have turned out more hides. It spurred a great FTF race. I met some folks I only knew in logs. And it was a ball too!

Darwin lives in the caching world too. If the placement is lousy, the cache will eventually find its way out of existence. But IMO this type of thing gives an extra nudge to those who are on the fence about hiding a cache. They are out nothing. And when they start getting the log-emails and enjoying them, they will hide another for you and me to find. And another, and another, etc.

Some people are grumpy about micros, others about "poor" locations. Just get me outside and gimme a log to sign. If you hid an ammo box made of gold someone would B**ch that it was too heavy.

Hats off to Snoogans and the rest of you for giving so generously to the rest of us.

I just hope someone brings one back to my neck of the woods.

Local people that did NOT attend GW4 will then come along and grab one of the canisters from the breeder cache and place them. I don't think I would have as much problem if the 12,000 film canisters were set on a table at GW4.

Markwell? Me thinks thou holdeth the geo-hoi polloi in low regard. :D

Everyone can't start out upholding your high standards just so YOU can continue to enjoy the game.

This game would be a whole lot better without all the stinkin' noobs....huh? :D:o

A micro hidden by the hoi polloi isn't a loaded gun. It's just a choice. I personally prefer to have more choices than less.....

"Everyone plays their own game. There is no sense in trying to police another's mindset as long as it falls within the general parameters of the game." Me (quoting myself from the poll that I posted on 10/23/03.)

The hider is playing a game called geocaching. They are evidently playing it right because their cache was approved.

You are also playing a GAME (sport/hobby/obsession/etc.) evidently called MY version of Geocaching 1.5, or maybe even 2.O. You seem to be failing at your game if you are not able to enjoy it.

"Failure is a hard pill to swallow until you realize the only failure you can really have in this sport is the failure to enjoy yourself."

TotemLake 4/26/04

Snoogans,

I applaud your efforts to increase the fun level of this game. I would be honored to place one of these caches and since I intend to be there Friday night, I hope I get the opportunity. I stand firmly with you and I am not about to start burning books and teachers just because someone might misuse knowledge. I have faith that my fellow geocachers will hide these caches in ways and locations that will bring them pleasure, and isn't having fun what this is all about?

See you Friday night.

Just a quick question...what is a seed pod?

Go to your Video store and rent "Invasion of the body snatchers" :o

Who are the hoi? And what makes them so polloi?

filmfest-InvasionBodySnatch.jpg

This cache is clearly a door banger with little care given to the location. Gosh what a neat container though. He's right to be careful. It doesn't have "GEOCACHE" stenciled on it anywhere.

Invasion.jpg

Noooooooooooooooooob!!!!

Edited by Snoogans

I just don't see how Markwell and the other nay-sayers get to decide what is an "icky" location and what isn't. Simply put, if you don't like the location of a cache, don't look for it. There are thousands of others out there. It should have no impact on you, unless you let it. Try to be an optimist, and appreciate the fact that someone is going through months of hard work and organization to do a good deed that will spread internationally. Bravo, Snoogans and Co. Don't let the gloom and doom prophets get you down. These folks probably not only think the glass is half-empty, but that somebody spit in it before they brought it to them.

This is a very well-conceived idea, and I am really looking forward to participating. - Coach

I just don't see how Markwell and the other nay-sayers get to decide what is an "icky" location and what isn't.

They don't, but they are entitled to their opinion. That's what these forums are for.

As I stated earlier:

In the end it's just an experiment. People will hide the caches however they want. (or NOT hide them) I will claim no responsibility for their choices. Each person has a mind of his or her own. If they meet the guidelines, I suspect it will be up to the actual finders to decide which of those hidden in this project are good ones and which are ill-conceived.

Simply put, if you don't like the location of a cache, don't look for it. There are thousands of others out there. It should have no impact on you, unless you let it.

Exaaaaaaaactly! :ph34r: