Coin Donations Needed

Eric K

Cool, Moun10bike will be donating one of his coins! It will be activated but he is going to make a special allowance for this one to be sold on E-bay!

Thanks Moun10bike!

Edited by Eric K

I don't have any coins to donate because I have just started collecting. I am however setting aside some money to buy some of these coins. You are getting an awesome collection & some really valuable, hard to find coins. You should be able to bring in alot of money for a very worthy cause! I will be interested in the individual coins that will be for sale. I know this will be alot more work, but it will bring in alot more money. I will watch this thread anxiously because I wouldn't want to miss out on the opportunity to bid on some of these!

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way for shipping items. I would like to use UPS for the rare/valuable items. I would hate for some high bid item to get lost in the mail, etc.

The problem there is I would need to subtract the shipping cost from the donation. When using the ebay shipping calculator for UPS shipping those charges can add up quickly if I end up listing dozens of items.

I'm open for suggestions/comments on the shipping charges.

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Eric K

count the Sunshinegang in. Have not decided what to donate but we will be putting together a package tonight

Eric,

THanks for taking this on. How ever you list them is fine with us. we know how that listing every single coin will be a huge hassle. It sounds like you have thousands of dollars worth or coins to sell so breaking them up will make it so more people can bid.

Someone mentioned the idea of a non ebay auction. while this would save some money we prefer you use ebay. It will attracted a larger audience than any forum. and the standard ebay rules will apply so there will be no disputes over the results.

Happy caching/collecting

The Big-C has done it's fair amount of damage to many of our friend and relatives. :rolleyes:<_<

We just in the past year lost my Mom-in-law to it. :unsure::ph34r:

So we definately want to help out!! :unsure:

We will be sending:

•2005 Georgia Geocachers Association 4th Anniversary (Non-trackable)

•South Carolina Geocachers Association #0470 (Non-trackable)

•2006 CITO

•Black Nickel DNF

•Black Nickel Found-It

•Complete "Evil Micro Geocoin" Set

--Nickel

--Black Nickel LE

--Black Nickel Ultra LE (GLOW)

--Nickel Pin

ladycacher_coin_donation.jpg

Sell them as you see fit. :blink:

Good Luck Ladycacher! :blink: Your in our prayers!

D-man :lol:

count the Sunshinegang in. Have not decided what to donate but we will be putting together a package tonight

Eric,

THanks for taking this on. How ever you list them is fine with us. we know how that listing every single coin will be a huge hassle. It sounds like you have thousands of dollars worth or coins to sell so breaking them up will make it so more people can bid.

Someone mentioned the idea of a non ebay auction. while this would save some money we prefer you use ebay. It will attracted a larger audience than any forum. and the standard ebay rules will apply so there will be no disputes over the results.

Happy caching/collecting

I kind of had the same thought about a non ebay auction. Then I realized like you said, that would limit the potential buyers to only people who read the forums.

As some of you may be aware of from this thread a fellow Geocacher by the name of Ladycacher has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. During this same peroid of time her husband has been laid off.

We are asking for donations of unactivated Geocoins that will then be sold as a lot on E-bay with the proceeds given to Ladygeocacher to help her through this difficult time.

:rolleyes: So sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis... That is why I don't have many caches under my belt...

I was diagnosed with uterine cancer last year and had a complete hysterectomy in December - I hadn't even turned 30... I don't have any kids either... <_<

I wish great outcomes for her & would donate my 1st coin if I have it in time...

My surgery & radiation treatments cost me a total of $6,723.75 plus $739 is gas...

I know what she's going through!

Good Luck... My prayers are with her. :unsure:

Edited by Mandollyn

if you are going through paypal, the shipping fees will be taken out of the money that has come in, thus making it very easy to see what the final donation total is. Is this what your asking?

Not quite. I'm saying for example. A rare coin goes on E-bay for $100. I want to ship it UPS to be able to verify that the recepient got it.

UPS could charge anywhere from $7 to $14. Say for example shipping on this one was $8.

The customer would pay $108 total. I would then donate the $100 but not the $8 that was the actual shipping charge.

It wouldn't be a big deal if it was one or two items. But thanks to the overwhelming support there will be multiple items and I don't know if I could eat the shipping charges on a few dozen or more orders.

if you are going through paypal, the shipping fees will be taken out of the money that has come in, thus making it very easy to see what the final donation total is. Is this what your asking?

Not quite. I'm saying for example. A rare coin goes on E-bay for $100. I want to ship it UPS to be able to verify that the recepient got it.

UPS could charge anywhere from $7 to $14. Say for example shipping on this one was $8.

The customer would pay $108 total. I would then donate the $100 but not the $8 that was the actual shipping charge.

It wouldn't be a big deal if it was one or two items. But thanks to the overwhelming support there will be multiple items and I don't know if I could eat the shipping charges on a few dozen or more orders.

The norm is that nobody expects the person shipping to eat the shipping charges. So just collect the shipping money with the payment for the coin (the way Ebay and paypal is already set up to do) and then donate the purchase price minus the shipping. A call to UPS and USPS will get you the shipping charges to ask ahead of time. USPS with insurace/certified mail will likely be cheaper than UPS.

I will be donating my Moun10Bike version 3 coin for this very worthy effort - I have received the AOK from Moun10Bike for this so I do hope that it helps out.

Additionally, I will be sending a GCC Benchmark coin.

Good luck Ladycacher, I'm thinking of you.

yep, we're saying the same thing I think. Let me try a little clearer. If you use paypal to accept the payments and ship out from, you will see a correct balance, thus not eating any charges (depending on how you're set up, you may need to subtract ebay fees off your paypal balance). So, say you start with $500 in your paypal acct. you take in 500 on the coin sales, then you ship with paypal. Shipping is 100. Paypal takes that from the 1000 you have in there, leaving you with 900, subtract your total ebay fees and your left with 300 something (depending on fees). Paypal as a one stop shop is a very clean and easy way to see what your actual profit or in this case donation will be.

USPS with insurace/certified mail will likely be cheaper than UPS.

Carleen is right about USPS being cheaper than UPS. Just send it first class with signature confirmation to confirm it made it to an actual person at that address. The higher auctions would be best to go with insurance which requires a signature if it's insured at $100 or more. Both ways will make USPS cheaper than anyone else and are reliable.

I do a lot of shipping and personally I trust UPS a lot more than the USPS with valuable items. I've had one package lost by UPS and got a refund pretty much the next day without any hassles.

I think I'll go UPS for the rare items and USPS for the non rare items.

Fedex is another option, small pkgs. can actually be shipped for reasonable rates and DHL is even cheaper. UPS is very good about getting your money back to you, unfortunately I know this from experience on more than one account, as they are very rough with their packages (though probably not that big of a deal for a coin).

I too agree, I wouldn't go USPS for the higher tag items, if there is a problem they are no fun to deal with.

edit-stupid spelling

Edited by Hula Bum

I'd like to donate an unactivated Volunteer coin for the cause. Can I send it to either Eric or Hula Bum to sell and handle the details?

FSM, sending you a private message in regards to the Volunteer coin.

I would stick with USPS, and ship it priority mail insured and confirmed delivery. should be a lot less than UPS who in my experience is the worst shipper of them all!

I think I'll go UPS for the rare items and USPS for the non rare items.

Most people are unsure about the different services offered by USPS and what they mean. Registered mail is the most secure of any mailing service offered by any of the shipping companies. Not only does that package travel hand to hand only, it is signed for and accounted for at each step of the way. The major jewlers that send diamonds and jewels use this service for a reason.

I would like to donate an Anthus Decoder LE (only 50 made; none ever sold anywhere so it should fetch a decent bid). I would also like to donate an Anthus Firefighter. I'd prefer my two be sold together but separate from the rest of the lot or separately if possible.

Thanks......Anthus

My coins are in the mail. Thanks for offering to coordinate all this. I wish Ladycacher the best and hope things make a turn for the better soon.

4 coins being sent. They will go in the mail on Thursday.

Thanks Eric for heading this great cause.

Richard

Native American (thanks to you)

Cache Run Antique Gold (350 made 300 sold)

Cache Run Nickel (200 made 150 sold)

Cache Run Gold (50 made none sold)

The coins are on their way..

<_< Eric

Do you need any more coins or help?

Richard

I'm sure I will once things pick up more. I won't be able to get todays mail to late tonight. This is the day I imagine the coins will start showing up.

The first two coins out there are already doing well!

Hate to throw a wrench in the system...

but wouldn't it have been easier and less costly (shipping) to just list the coins on the auction site if you have an account already and then just donate the money through Paypal instead of shipping the coin, making one person list them all and ship them all, and then sending the money? Would have just had to use the same description and link to the forums to show all the people involved in the sales.

Just a thought.

It would Metro, but not everyone has an account or has the time, so Erik volunteered. I don't see anything wrong with people listing coins with the same description/key words and sending over the money afterwards, I think he was just trying to make it easy on everybody so that more people would help out. (It's much easier to drop 4-5 coins in a padded envelope and send it off then to take pix, write up, list, package and mail.)

It would Metro, but not everyone has an account or has the time, so Erik volunteered. I don't see anything wrong with people listing coins with the same description/key words and sending over the money afterwards, I think he was just trying to make it easy on everybody so that more people would help out. (It's much easier to drop 4-5 coins in a padded envelope and send it off then to take pix, write up, list, package and mail.)

I have an ebay account but I am not using it... Was too stressful when I sold a pair of shoes on there. Gladly will send Eric the coins, and I appreciate his leadership in this project.

I'm sure my mailman hated me today. Just got home and have 12 packages here! :-)

Metro, it's not a problem. We'll just work it out as it goes along. There are plenty of folks that will help me when needed. Plus we don't need to list them all at the same time, etc.

Thanks