Topographical Software

I am looking to get topographical software so I can download my tracks and produce maps for my mountain bike club. I have seen pics of topos with awesome highlighted lines which is one thing I want to do. I also want to include a few waypoints, perhaps even a legend!

Nat geo boasts that they have great map editing software and comprehensive maps. Delorme has popped up via word of mouth.

OK. Now from the pros-

Which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

Rich!!!

I can't speak to Delorme but I have used National Geographic Topo maps for the last few years and I love the product. The detail is excellent and you can do everything you mentioned as far as uploading waypoint and routes. The software has tons of options for adding symbols and highlighting your routes with different colors and varying thickness lines. I frequently make custom maps for my friends before going on 4X4 trip. You can either print the maps or export them to JPG images to be emailed to others. One other cool feature is if you get the 3D add on, you can then do 3D fly overs of any route on the map. It really gives you a feel for the topoolgy of the country you are going into when you can fly through the canyons and stop on the peaks and spin around for the 360 degree views. :-)

It also give you the ability to attach pictures to any location you want on your map. So if you take pictures when your out and save the waypoint, you can then attach that picture and waypoint to your map to be reviewed on your PC.

You can't download the maps into your GPSr but other than that limitation, I can't imagine a better topo software package.

Edited by bgarland

I haven't used anything besides Mapsource and OziExplorer. I use Ozi for handling non-Garmin, bit-mapped images (eg: PNG, JPG, BMP, GIF formats) from a variety of sources including our Ministry of Mines, scanned topo maps, satellite photos and even detailed maps on brochures. This flexibility lets me use the best maps available for the area. It sounds like it has a feature set similar to National Geographic and is quite popular among fourwheelers.

I use it to keep track of 4x4 trails I've explored or possible trails that I want to explore. You can download it and try it out: http://www.oziexplorer.com.

GeoBC

I have DeLorme Topo USA, and I have to say the program is not all that I hoped it would be. The maps are fine, but the map drawing tools are counter-intuitive and tracks loaded from a GPS look like they were drawn on the map with a fat crayon. Also, when you print out maps the printed map is not the same as the displayed map, in that some of the edges of the map have been trimmed to fit on the page. This is really annoying when you have to print a map two or three times to get everything you wanted in it.

I just gat and ad in the mail two weeks ago for DeLorme's new products. The version I have is for the mountain states, but the new products are sold as eastern US, westaern US and the whole country. The advertised price was $39 for the eastern or western packages, which is pretty attractive, but I'll wait to see it in action before I buy from them again.

I have DeLorme Topo USA, and I have to say the program is not all that I hoped it would be. The maps are fine, but the map drawing tools are counter-intuitive and tracks loaded from a GPS look like they were drawn on the map with a fat crayon.

Are you sure? My DeLorme software is quite a few versions behind the current ones, but it lets me choose the line width and color of the tracklogs and also whether the line is drawn as a solid color or a light pastel that lets you see through to underlying details. I'd be surprised if DeLorme eliminated such user-options in their later versions.

I'd note that the topological detail of the the DeLorme Topo-USA maps appears to be at about the level of the USGS 1:100,000 maps although with additional contour lines drawn in with interpolation. The National Geographic state series maps are based on the USGS 1:24000 maps and show much more detail. DeLorme also offers their 3D TopoQuad map product that uses 1:24000 scale detail.

I am looking to get topographical software so I can download my tracks and produce maps for my mountain bike club. I have seen pics of topos with awesome highlighted lines which is one thing I want to do. I also want to include a few waypoints, perhaps even a legend!

Nat geo boasts that they have great map editing software and comprehensive maps. Delorme has popped up via word of mouth.

OK. Now from the pros-

Thanks!

Rich!!!

I have used both of these products. I have long hated the Delorme user interface. It is probably the single most unintuitive, obtuse interface I have ever encountered - except for an astronomy program by the name of SkyTools (which overall is a good application, BTW), but that is a topic for elsewhere. Since NG Topo and Google Earth both have the very cool 3D capability now, I will likely not be getting the new Delorme Topo release.

Regarding NG Topo - a fundamental flaw in the NG Topo! application affects users who also want to use Pocket Topo! on a Palm or Pocket PC PDA device. Specifically, there is no way to transfer waypoints from the PC-based Topo! application to Pocket Topo!.

For example, say you have used GSAK to take a whole nest of geocaches in a GPX file and convert them to a nest of Topo! compatible waypoints so you can see them on a PC-based Topo! map. Great! However, if you then want to transfer those waypoints to your PDA to take with you - you are out of luck.

This has been a known issue for a looooong time. Frankly, I'm amazed with this glaring omission, especially since it severely limits the usefulness of NG Topo!. I've had email correspondence with Topo! support regarding this issue, but they are pretty insistent that they won't fix it. :)

Alan2 in this forum has a slightly convoluted but usable workaround for this limitation in NG Topo which will work for a few waypoints but is tedious for an more than a handful.

TM

For example, say you have used GSAK to take a whole nest of geocaches in a GPX file and convert them to a nest of Topo! compatible waypoints so you can see them on a PC-based Topo! map. Great! However, if you then want to transfer those waypoints to your PDA to take with you - you are out of luck.

Speaking of which, OziExplorer can read/write GPX files.

GeoBC

OK. Now from the pros-

Thanks!

Rich!!!

I regularly use several different mapping programs and have found the two that I use almost exclusively are NG TOPO and Expert GPS. NG TOPO probably has the higest quality topo maps ( and you can now get online updates of the quads as they become available) but Expert GPS also has Aerial Photos. What you plot on the topo also shows up on the AP.

Both programs provide excellent data management also.....and have short learning curves.

Expert GPS has unparalleled tech support and a free trial period ....then($59 ?) See Topografix.

Another program worth looking at is USAPhotomaps-Free ....Not as good data management though.

In my opinion, Delorme is not even close to being in the same league as any of the above. Delorme wants to tell you what features you want and how you should do things instead of listening to their users needs.

I have to admit I'm a little suprised by the responses in regards to Delorme's software. I currently own Mapsource, Delorme, and Topo!, and hands down prefer Delorme. It's MUCH easier to use than Mapsource, I can draw just about anything with it, in any color, transparency, width, etc. Topo! is great if you need a real topo map, but tomm2 is correct in the statement regarding it's difficulty in transferring data to Pocket Topo!. I truly have no trouble whatsoever in regards to the interface (Delorme)....in fact, I believe it beats Mapsource hands down! The bottom line, is that just like asking a mechanic which oil he/she prefers, asking a geocacher which mapping software he/she prefers will likely get you as many different answers as there are people you ask! My 2 cents...try them out! See which one YOU prefer and go with it.

National geographic has gotten away from working well with waypoints. Instead of waypoint files they want you to save map files.

This is great for custome made maps but not so good for when you just have groups of geocaches you want to look at and track.

NG support sucks. NP doesn't listen to feedback and if the ydo they don't do anything wiht it.

I don't know if Delome is better or worse but I no longer have such a rosy view of NG as the company to win my hard earned money for topo products.

I have used Delorme products for several years. Currently with the Street 06 and the Topo 05 versions. With these post I am wondering what I have been missing out on with the NG software!!!

I have down loaded and uploaded tracks and waypoints to Topo from my GPS. I also use Topo when Traveling with an RV using the Earthmate GPS...works great in avoiding the steep hills

Will a GPS antenna work with NG software on a laptop??

My 2 cents...try them out! See which one YOU prefer and go with it.

Agreed. This is especially convenient with DeLorme since they offer a 30-day trial period. If you don't like one of their software (or hardware) products within 30 days you can return it for a full refund.

My 2 cents...try them out! See which one YOU prefer and go with it.

Agreed. This is especially convenient with DeLorme since they offer a 30-day trial period. If you don't like one of their software (or hardware) products within 30 days you can return it for a full refund.

Agreed.

Even though I'm down on NG they have advantages one of which is reported to be better printed maps. It would be worth trying them out.

National geographic has gotten away from working well with waypoints. Instead of waypoint files they want you to save map files.

This is great for custome made maps but not so good for when you just have groups of geocaches you want to look at and track.

NG support sucks. NP doesn't listen to feedback and if the ydo they don't do anything wiht it.

I don't know if Delome is better or worse but I no longer have such a rosy view of NG as the company to win my hard earned money for topo products.

I agree with very poor customer tech support for NG topo. Complaints go unanswered or ignored. They did send me duplicate CDs to try to correct a problem I had been having but did nothing to solve the problem. I have since found a workaround to keep the program working. Other than than I like the NG topo map detail.

team sidewinder

Yep, NG TOPO used to have two different file types(tpo for maps, and tpg for waypoints labels etc),now just tpo for everything.

HOWEVER, now NG TOPO is compatible with GPX files, which can be used with multiple other softwares. SO, you can do almost everything you used to be able to do with the tpg waypoint files. Just export the waypoints as a gpx file and take it to another program,or whatever you want to do.

I haven't found TOPO support to be totally terrible or totally fantastic either. I have made several suggestions that have been incorporated and others that have not been. Different Strokes......

OK. I think I'm not too far behind. I'm probably going to use NG (and have Garmin's topo coming in the mail.) Seems that no matter which I use, there is no benchmark as of now.

I guess if I want to add any waypoints I would have to Babel them and export them as a gpx extension.

Sounds possible.

Talk about customer support-I think they're all the same. Actually found Microsoft support (Streets and trips with gps) to be the most helpful to an extent. Garmin is responsive, but as the commercial says, everybody is 'working on it!'

This site is the most comprehensive, seems that experience is the best tool-priceless yet free!

If only I could get support for the wife...another story, hard drive always crashes!

OK. I think I'm not too far behind. I'm probably going to use NG (and have Garmin's topo coming in the mail.) Seems that no matter which I use, there is no benchmark as of now.

I guess if I want to add any waypoints I would have to Babel them and export them as a gpx extension.

Sounds possible.

You can manually place waypoints with the waypoints tool.

You can manually place waypoints and alter the coordinates in the waypoints property dialogue box to the exact coordinates you need.

You can download waypoints directly from your GPSr.

As you said, you can import .gpx files.

NG comes in one state at a time unless you wan the Northeast. Then the cost of purchase covers about 9 states.

Also, NG has MapxChange. People post their tracks for others to download. You might find many of the bike and hiking trails for your area. Also, NG would love for you to upload bike trails that you have done for other in and out of your bike group.

NG comes in one state at a time unless you wan the Northeast. Then the cost of purchase covers about 9 states.

Also, NG has MapxChange. People post their tracks for others to download. You might find many of the bike and hiking trails for your area. Also, NG would love for you to upload bike trails that you have done for other in and out of your bike group.

Thank you, Alan. Are you involved with any of the Cunningham Park trails? I just saw some maps of it, looks kinda neat!

I'm from Huntington, NY--a few miles east of you. Do you know of any local posts? I'm waiting for my copy of NG to arrive and already have tracked a local park.

Keep in touch, neighbor! Thanks for the info, can't wait for the NG software!

Rich!!!