Somerset Camping Event

We're organising a camping caching event in Somerset for the May Bank Holiday Weekend Friday 26th- Monday 29th May 2006. (Apologies for error in topic header as Stuey kindly pointed out below! I was too eager to get the event publicised!)

Fifteen pitches have been provisionally reserved, but there is scope to up this number providing people let us know fairly promptly if they want to attend. We need to give a fairly clear indication of numbers attending by Sunday 14th May. Please post a response here and we will contact you, or email us through our GC.com profile. The main date for the cache event will be Saturday 27th May - day visitors also welcome!

Campsite link here. Its the Cornish Farm camping site, just off the M5 at Shoreditch near Taunton. We were lucky to find a campsite able to take a group booking at such short notice.

Links to downloadable PDF files as follows:

Tariff

Brochure

Photos

If you are keen to attend, could you please contact us as soon as possible with dates, number of campers, dogs, etc. Bookings for pitches will need to be done through us, and a 20% non-refundable deposit will be required.

Cache listing will be posted shortly.

If there any local cachers who are able to set a few new caches for the weekend, please let us know.

Places of interest within easy reach of Cornish Farm Touring Park: Cheddar Gorge, Wookey Hole, Clarke's Shoping Village, Glastonbury, Exeter maritime museum. Taunton is just 2 miles away. Bridgewater Bay is to the north for anyone wanting a day at the beach, and Exmoor National Park is within easy driving distance.

Edited to show correct dates!!

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

Excellent! The tent needs checking out before our trip abroad, so this is perfect (less than an hour away). Two adults and a bouncy dog! Possibly Friday but definitely Saturday and Sunday nights in a large frame tent (with hookup if possible, not essential).

I'll see if I can put a cache out too, but the likelihood is slim as I have a hectic DIY life at the moment, hehe.

Bob and I are interested in this one. We have a few extra days off so we have been looking for a campsite. We would want a pitch from Thursaday and leave on the Tuesday morning, could that be arranged?

It would be for 2 adults

1 tent

1 dog

LollyBob

I have a question about groundsheets, the camp site says they only allow the Eco breathable type. Our tent has built in groundsheets and I dont think they are the Eco breathable ones. Its the first time I have ever heard of these. Does that mean we have to get a new tent??? We only got that one last season, and our other new one has the same type of groundsheet too.

Lolly

I reckon we can leave it to Andy Royle to organise a BBQ! He is an expert..... (If we are allowed of course!)

Those Eco mats are great... They hold no condensation.. are good for the pitches and although pricey, we loved the day we got one!

I think a group BBQ is a fantastic idea as it gets all us campers to get together! Lets hope we can!

Hi... our first forum message <_<

Just to mention that we have posted on the cache page asking if we can attend: two adults, one car and one tent.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone... even though it was only two weeks ago when we last met up in South Wales <_<

Helen and Carolyn

I've just done a search for caches near to the campsite using the postcode supplied in the brochure. According to the results the campsite is 3.3ml NE away from the campsite. :):smile:

I know the co-ords aren't perfect (they do need to be corrected), but they aren't 3.3 miles out. The Geocaching.com postcode search is pants, btw.

I've just done a search for caches near to the campsite using the postcode supplied in the brochure. According to the results the campsite is 3.3ml NE away from the campsite. :unsure::o

I know the co-ords aren't perfect (they do need to be corrected), but they aren't 3.3 miles out. The Geocaching.com postcode search is pants, btw.

It wasn't a complaint or critisism. I just found it quite humourous.

I know the GC.com postcode search is poor as I once went to find a cache that, according to GC.com was 440m away from the local football ground. It was in fact nearly 2.5 mile away. :anicute:

What campsite? :unsure:

We are in possession of updated coordinates (see Morgan Mob log on listing) and are endeavouring to change the original listing but it needs approver intervention, which has been requested. Don't panic! :o;):unsure:

I am not panicking, life would be sooooo boring if I managed to find where I am going at the first attempt :anicute: .... just dont put me in a maze and expect to see me again for a few weeks :anicute::o

The cache listing is now sorted thanks to our esteemed approver :lol:

Pity really ... would have been fun seeing LollyBob logging a DNF on a camping event :laughing:

Have to think of another excuse now to keep bumping the thread :laughing:

2 things, the new coordinates are correct now? :laughing:

Are there any extras coming? or is it just the 19 pitches (heh, JUST!)

TOS

The cache listing is now sorted thanks to our esteemed approver :laughing:

Pity really ... would have been fun seeing LollyBob logging a DNF on a camping event :laughing:

Have to think of another excuse now to keep bumping the thread :laughing:

There is still a chance for me to log a dnf...believe me......... and to bump something too :lol: