How Long Should People Expect To Keep A Cache Disabled?

If you found the listing for a cache and it has been disabled for a year (or more), would you posting something asking about it? Would you post a needs archived, something else, or nothing at all?

Yes, I realize there may be special circumstances in some cases (such as the area is closed for forest fire for example) that are beyond the cache owners control. However, assuming none of those exist, How long should people expect to keep a cache disabled?

If you found the listing for a cache and it has been disabled for a year (or more), would you posting something asking about it? Would you post a needs archived, something else, or nothing at all?

Yes, I realize there may be special circumstances in some cases (such as the area is closed for forest fire for example) that are beyond the cache owners control. However, assuming none of those exist, How long should people expect to keep a cache disabled?

Until very recently - 3 local caches were disabled for 8 months. One of them hasn't been found since september 2004 and was disabled/missing several times. I posted an SBA on one and the owner responded that it would be another 3 months or so before he got around to it. Sigh - they are back now.

If there was a fire I'd expect the area to be closed for quite some time. The guidelines say something about "a few weeks" so a cache disabled due to a fire should really be archived. Once the area recovers a new cache can be placed.

Would you post a needs archived, something else, or nothing at all?

There would need to be some additional circumstances like a few dnf's or comments that lead one to believe that the cache owner is not taking care of the problems. After about 6 months though I don't know that I would need additional circumstances. I would post an SBA. SBA is not the end of the world and sometimes my SBA's have brought the cache owner out of hiding and back into action.

If there was a fire I'd expect the area to be closed for quite some time. The guidelines say something about "a few weeks" so a cache disabled due to a fire should really be archived. Once the area recovers a new cache can be placed.

I apologize for a slight tangent here, but I was just wondering. If the owner opted to archive the cache due to some longer-term issue (in this example, a forest fire), and then, after however long, was able to replace the cache in the exact same location (or at least, close enough that no new coords were needed), would they need to list it as a new cache? I thought there was an option to un-archive a cache if the situation called for it?

In answer to the OP's question, I think it depends on the reviewer and the cache. Around here, we have very few disabled caches, but for whatever reason, there are a couple that have been disabled for a long time. Last fall, a couple of other reviewers were helping out in Indiana, and they archived many of the long-term disabled caches. On those occasion, the phrase "a few weeks" was often mentioned (in response to Blue Deuce's comment - we don't have many snowed in mountain passes in Indiana). :) If you read the guidelines, I believe the phrase a few weeks will pop up there too.

"Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing. "

(sorry - don't know how to do the nifty "quote" feature for quotes from outside of the current topic. oh, and I added the bold, just to make it easier to find the part I meant)

Based on your description, it seems like a long time. Are there any notes on the caches from the owners explaining why the long delay?

I apologize for a slight tangent here, but I was just wondering. If the owner opted to archive the cache due to some longer-term issue (in this example, a forest fire), and then, after however long, was able to replace the cache in the exact same location (or at least, close enough that no new coords were needed), would they need to list it as a new cache? I thought there was an option to un-archive a cache if the situation called for it?

Yes, caches may be unarchived if they still meet the guidelines. Ask your reviewer if you aren't sure or if you have other questions about it.

How long should people expect to keep a cache disabled?

I've seen caches that have been disabled for 6 months or more. I had one cache disabled for about 30 days, and the local reviewer posted the "fix it or nix it" note on the cache page. I thought that was a little too soon myself, but certainly within the guidelines. I ended up just archiving the cache, it's time had come anyway.

I'd say at a minimum a month. More if there are extenuating circumstances.

Circumstances do exist, so people should understand the local approvers can and should apply discretion. My wife and I have been maintaining a state-wide 'solar system model' since early 2003. I fell quite ill in September :wacko: , and in early November, a cache of mine (Saturn) in the series went missing. The local approver let that one stay in the 'disabled' state - everyone knew I was ill and hoped to come back. Well, I am happy to say I am healthy enough to be back, and my wife and I replaced "Saturn" just this past weekend.

I didn't request this or even talk to our local approver - but it meant a lot to me that nobody else was asked to take it over. I like to think it meant that people expected me to get better.

And that ws really important. :laughing: