Maybe I Picked The Wrong Hobby

MouseFart

Hey all. New member here and first post. Been looking through the forums and studying up on here. Just yesterday, bought my first GPS off Ebay. Won a bid on a Garmin Etrex Camo unit for $57 bucks. Trying to gain as much knowledge as I can until this thing comes in the mail toward the end of the week.

While reading some of the threads, I found one where pics of some of the cache holding devices were taken. My first thoughts in getting into this hobby were, this is going to be a fun hobby for my 11 yr old son and myself to do. After looking at some of the things people have built in order to hide their items, I think this may be more frustrating than fun.

As I understand, the GPS will get you within 20-30 feet of a site, then it is up to the eyes to find it. Alot of the things I saw pics of, you could camp all day in the 20-30 site and never find one.

Just how frustrating is this going to be? I may have a good deal on an un-yet delivered GPS.......LOL :)

Rick

Start with a 1/1 cache, and just be persistent. You'll find them. Plus, your 11 year old will probably find them faster than you will! Also, check into a geocaching group in your area and hook up with someone with some experience.

You'll get hooked quickly!!

Bec

Welcome to the madness!!!

You will be surprised how quickly you can learn to find these things. And surprised how many will evade you. Many are hidden under some slightly unnatural pile of (sticks, rocks, leaves, bark, grass etc..) Start out with difficulty 1 or 2 caches that are larger and avoid micros until you have found a few. Most of all - have fun with it!!

Actually, it is surprisingly enjoyable. I know that might sound funny coming from someone that has over 500 finds... but we all start somewhere.

What I would recommend is looking at the Geocaches near your house, and read the descriptions.

Just as a suggestion... for your first adventure, try to avoid looking for a micro sized cache... they can be very hard to find.

I would start with a Traditional Geocache that is Regular sized. Hopefully with a Terrain Rating around 2 out of 5 stars, and the same for Difficulty.

Print the cache page, learn how to enter the coordinates into the unit.

What I did, all those years ago was go out my front door. Turn it on and wait for a satellite lock. Mark your house. Walk for about 15 minutes in some random direction... then "Find" your house using the GPS.

After you are comfortable with the operation, see if you can find that cache you chose as an easy starting one.

Another option is to try to meet up with a local, most people ar more than happy to help out new players.

This can be a great family activity, but be patient at the start... like everything, it gets easier as you do it.

:) The Blue Quasar

When I hide a cache, I first determine where one can be hidden to meet all of the rules. Once I find that place I then go to the area and ask myself, where is a good place to hide this thing? I'll give you the coordinates and when your GPSr says are are there, ask yourself that same question. "Where would I hide it if it were me?" BINGO...your thinkin like a cacher now.

You and your son will have alot of fun doing this! Start easy and get some finds. Have fun!

I've taken out newbies and I've noticed they tend to think the gps is going to lead them to ... I don't know.. a hollow log with a secret passage.

Once they get past that expectation of mystery they realize it really is an exciting gaming, with puzzles and challenges just like they hoped.

I'm sure I know which thread you are referring to and those containers are not the norm. And when those kinds of containers are used, you'll probably see a difficulty level of 3 or above. So just stick with the easier one at first, and once you're gotten it down, you can go after the really challenging ones,

Most of the pics you see are of the really good hides nobody puts a pic of a plain ammo can that they hid under a unnatural pile of rocks (URP) start off easy, I can promise you after you find a few you will be hooked I love caching with my kids my 5yr old can find them before me half the time I think as far a caches, TB and coins getting taken unfortunatly its part of the game but the large scale of it is it gets you outside and active, takes you to places you never in your life would have seen that are right in your back yard and the best part spending time with your family give it a shot you wont be sorry!

Hey MouseFart. I am very new to this and have been enjoying it for the past 4 days. I just took my 6 year old daughter out yesterday and we had a blast. She was very excited about finding the caches and we ended up logging 6 caches yesterday. Once you get out there and find your first couple you and your son will be addicted. Happy Geocaching!

I am a newbie myself and we found that after that first cache which was incredibly easy, we wanted to do another, and another, and another. My 11 year old hasn't been the first to discover one yet, but she is still going strong, and she is the one in the family who doesn't like to get dirty or go off in the woods for anything!

I wouldn't pick anything too challenging at first, because we took a first timer friend over the weekend who's 14 and he started losing interest as we scoured the woods, that is, until we found the cache. Once we popped it open, he was into it and wanted to go find another, and another, and so on.

Happy hunting, and don't get discouraged before you even start. I'm finding there's a steeper learning curve with the GPS than I expected (I got a magellan 210 explorist), but that could just be me.

Have fun!

Like any activity, there is a learning curve. Initially it takes time to find a hide but as time goes on and you gain experience it becomes easier to "think like a cacher" and it takes a lot less time. We're now finding caches in 15 minutes that used to takes us 40 when we started so it will come. That's actually part of the fun because you actually develop a "skill".

JDandDD

Hey all. New member here and first post. Been looking through the forums and studying up on here. Just yesterday, bought my first GPS off Ebay. Won a bid on a Garmin Etrex Camo unit for $57 bucks. Trying to gain as much knowledge as I can until this thing comes in the mail toward the end of the week.

While reading some of the threads, I found one where pics of some of the cache holding devices were taken. My first thoughts in getting into this hobby were, this is going to be a fun hobby for my 11 yr old son and myself to do. After looking at some of the things people have built in order to hide their items, I think this may be more frustrating than fun.

As I understand, the GPS will get you within 20-30 feet of a site, then it is up to the eyes to find it. Alot of the things I saw pics of, you could camp all day in the 20-30 site and never find one.

Just how frustrating is this going to be? I may have a good deal on an un-yet delivered GPS.......LOL :laughing:

Rick

The more geocaches you find the easier it'll get. The 1st few I found were really hard. Write down, or print out all the information on the page, you can write down the hints on a seperate page if you want. When you get to the cache location listed, look around for things that look out of place, or look like they've been placed (to try to cover up a cache). Don't get too frustrated, its only a game. When you go geocaching it's a good idea not to go out just looking for one. That way if you can't find one, you can move on to the next, then you won't come home empty handed. Also, look at the star rating for the difficulty. Go for the easiest till you get the hang of it. Soon enough you'll become addicted like all of us. lol

Those are really unusual and do like everyone else said and use the level 1 caches to start. Our best tip to give you is when you are at "ground zero" or where the cache should be - just stand back and see "what does not quite look right". This has been the rule we have used and it has helped us many times find the cache. At first, we used to get there and be so excited we were looking at everything but the obvious. I would also start with bigger cache sizes and leave the micros until you get a few under your belt. You and your son will love it and become addicted fast while spending quality time together in the great outdoors!

Congratulations on joining the geo-ranks. This truly is a family sport/hobby/recreation that young and old enjoy.

First and foremost, become familiar with your GPSr. You need to be comfortable with entering/uploading coordinates into the receiver’s waypoint database and creating a “GOTO” to that waypoint. Practice with it so you can perform this in the field. It’s also helpful to know how to “mark” your current spot so you can find your way home. Using the “backtrack” feature of the GPSr can be critical out in the woods (or a Walmart parking lot).

Second (as stated before), choose easy caches 1/1 [difficulty/terrain], and regular or large caches. These types of caches are easier to find, and usually have better SWAG in them for your son to rummage through--this keeps the kids happy and excited. Try looking for newer caches as they are typically in better condition than caches that have weathered the winter.

Finally, be prepared! Like the Boy Scouts motto, you need to be prepared when you venture outside. Bring food and drinks in your geo-mobile, extra batteries, hints to the caches or printouts, proper clothing, a map or knowledge of the area, etc (and keep it with you). We wouldn’t want to read about a geo-casualty…and HAVE FUN!

Maybe I Picked The Wrong Hobby

Maybe you picked the wrong user name. :rolleyes:

Only a short time left to change that first impression.

LOL Welcome Mousefart enjoy your new hobby just don't get into the politics and you will do just fine :unsure:.

If you have any questions you will get plenty of answers here. <_<

Edited by Mystery Ink

You only have to read the logs specific to it's cache to see if it was that much of an issue to find or not. Besides it isn't really meant to be a pushover - a little bit of a challenge is half the fun. And yes there will be some you don't find. If you haven't the patience for it then then stick to your playstation!

Our best tip to give you is when you are at "ground zero" or where the cache should be - just stand back and see "what does not quite look right". This has been the rule we have used and it has helped us many times find the cache. At first, we used to get there and be so excited we were looking at everything but the obvious.

Very good advice. Even minor distubances yield clues to its location.

While walking in, observe broken branches, bent grass, anything thats not in place naturally. Once close, take a good wide look around for trails, bark and sticks laying unnaturally, hollows, and such.

One very good cache I recall wasn't near and log or tree. It was in the middle off a small clearing under moss. We searched all around it going for the "usual" spots. After quite a long time I noticed a very small twig out in the open stuck in the moss. No way it could have fallen like that. Bingo.

Have Fun!

Welcome,

Cache hiders want you to find their caches. It's no fun when no one finds it at all. Some caches are easy to find and you will notice a pattern after awhile and see them as you drive up. Some are designed to be a challenge, however. If you try one and don't find it, log a DNF, move on and come back later when you are more experienced. Like anything in life, the more work you put into it, the better you feel when you succeed. I like to work for my smiley, but the easy ones are fun too. Good luck and follow the advice above; it's all good.

it is supposed to be fun... so:

1. Use the compass screen versus the map screen. Tells you where to go and how far left to go.

2. Rather than trying to get to the 0 point on your GPSr (basically standing on top of the cache) stop about 50 feet from the expected location. Then stop looking at your GPS and start looking at your location. Look for the obvious clues to the cache location. Piles of sticks, rocks, dead hollow tree, or stump in plain view. Don't forget to look at the size of the cache you are looking for. Nothing like thinking you are hunting a regular sized cache, when it is actually a micro-cache.

3. Start out with the easiest dificulty caches (D/T). So go for the 1/1 to 2/2 caches first.

4. Have fun and enjoy the great sport

If there is a hint, you may also want to decode it before going out. Also, look at other logs for folks who have hunted for the same cache. Sometimes they give good clues to the location. Or you can be hard headed like me and just charge off, willy-nilly, to the next closest cache and difficulty be damned! <_<

Hey MouseF -

Having 5 and 11 year olds, I can tell you that not much brings about instant good behavior than the statement "I wanted to go geocaching this afternoon, but I can only take GOOD boys with me." .

Now if I could only figure out a way for the wife to 'comply' with only the offer of geocaching......

Your son's cache day will go like this.

You: "Ok we are here"

Son: "cool" jumps out of car, picks up stick and starts beating all the trees and rocks with it"

You: get out of car and look for cache.

Son: continues beating on trees, rocks, logs, and poking everthing wiht the stick in the area of the cache.

You: "See anything?"

Son: "Nope but I'm looking!" continues beating on things with the stick.

You: "Hmmm... this one isn't easy"

Son: More beating of things with the stick, beats on the cache and finds it.

Your son is going to enjoy this.

Just how frustrating is this going to be? I may have a good deal on an un-yet delivered GPS.......LOL :D

Rick

Avoid micros like the plague and do 1's and 2's for a while and everything will be fine. It really is not as difficult as it might seem. BTW, love that user name. Beautiful. ;)B)B) And oh yeah, have fun.

Edited by Team Cotati

Funny name, welcome.

You will have a blast. I know several folks who cache with a GPS similar to yours. That's all you need. Also, a lot of folks enjoy time with their kids through this hobby. I don't think you'll regret it one bit.

A bit of information too, there are a lot of places you will find that you never knew about and a lot of caches are history related as well. I've seen and learned about a lot of new and different stuff through this game.

It's awesome and for the most part the people you're going to meet are great as well!!!

Jen

Hey Mousefart..(cute name!)

We are also new to Geocaching..but I tell you, it is ADDICTING!!

We have also discovered backroads, and all these wonderful, beautiful places, that we never would have taken the time to go see, or discover!

We have also discovered MUSCLES that we never knew we had, and lung capacity, that we never knew existed! :(

There are times too, that you will NOT find the caches, no matter how hard you try, and think you got all the coodinates right, and every number added right! THEN, if you are anything like us, it becomes a CHALLENGE, and you HAVE to find it!! :(

ANyone feel this way about it too?? :)

Good luck to you!

Howlingwind & Sunsetbay4me

We've only been caching about a year, but we LOVE it! The first one my son-in-law took us on involved a mile- and-a-half hike in 95 degree weather. Decided right then and there, this was NOT the sport for me. About 3 months later, my daughter took us on a multi-cache that let us learn about some of our city's history. It was a 5-part multi that took almost all day and covered most of our city. It was AWESOME! We were and still are HOOKED!

We have teeagers, but I think that any age can enjoy this sport. Learn to think about your location. don't always trust the GPS, because sometimes it will lie to you. Use your senses. Look around. If you were hiding something in that spot, where would you put it? If you didn't want to be found, where would you hide?

I hope that you and your son have many great adventures while you are caching. I think my greatest discovery while caching with my kids is that this is a great time to just talk to them about anything that comes to mind at the moment. When they are having fun, they are more open with you.

Good luck and have a great time!