What's Right With Waymarking

After looking over the various topics of discussion, I thought it was time we talked about we we like. I've seen some comments in other threads... and really, we should let the Groundspeak Gang know that there are aspects of Waymarking that we do like.

So, for me...

I have always wanted to find the time and inspiration to see the Ontario Historic Plaques around the Region (Niagara) that I live in. I'd seen some as part of Multi-Caches but there were so many that I hadn't. Now just a few months later, I've seen 70 of 72 in Niagara (2 are missing) and 34 of 37 in Hamilton (3 are missing). I've listed all 34 of the Hamilton ones that I have seen, as well as 25 of the 70 I've seen in Niagara. I am still working on getting caught up with the descriptions for the remaining 35 I have yet to list even though I have the images and coordinates already.

I have really enjoyed finding and visiting the locations, learning the history by reading the plaques and researching their content online and filling in the Category.

What have you enjoyed with Waymarking? Feel free to discuss things related to the actual Waymarking site or Waymarking opportunities you've had, or other positive things that Waymarking has added to your life.

:) The Blue Quasar

I like the new feature where nearby waymarks are listed. It's really interesting to see how waymarks in various categories are near each other. It provides a new landscape concept that's growing fast.

I like the group management feature of Waymarking. It adds a new dimension to Waymarking that brings people together in new ways.

I like the way that categories can be formed by the group of all waymarkers. The formation of categories has 3 dimensions - a group forms and decides about how a new category should be made, forum discussions on new category ideas, and the peer review process. It's cool!

I like the way that Groundspeak empowers users in participating in how Waymarking grows as a concept.

The lack of certain categories. There is no Waymarking category for...

guard rail.

light-pole cover.

large power transformer case.

trash-strewn vacant lot.

end of dead-end road.

cyclone fence next to busy road.

patch of dirty bushes/palmetto/cactus.

bottom-side of playground equipment.

back-side of private homeowner fence.

homeless encampment.

I've probably forgotten a few...

(eta what mike said, although I've never had to seach a dumpster for a cache)

Edited by WalruZ

What is right with Waymarking....

Ive been thinking about this for a couple of days. One thing I like is that it has a different sense of fun to it. Im excited about the categories Im participating in. Im eager to see what the wow waymarks--Best Kept Secrets--will offer. I think Waymarking will offer a greater sense of community than geocaching. I didnt think that was possible. I find that Im able to make my own game within Waymarking. For example, mcdonalds, that scourge of categories, doesnt interest me BUT I made a game of it to find interesting mcdonalds. Altho I havent logged them, there is a McDonalds in Nogales that feeds a mexican orphange every Christmas, a McDonalds in Sedona that has different colored arches, and the oldest McDonalds in Phoenix. Sadly the original first McDonalds to have the golden arches was torn down in Phoenix a few years ago. Waymarking is a bit more flexible to have fun with. And can be made more so if I chose.

The lack of certain categories. There is no Waymarking category for...

guard rail.

light-pole cover.

large power transformer case.

trash-strewn vacant lot.

end of dead-end road.

cyclone fence next to busy road.

patch of dirty bushes/palmetto/cactus.

bottom-side of playground equipment.

back-side of private homeowner fence.

homeless encampment.

I've probably forgotten a few...

(eta what mike said, although I've never had to seach a dumpster for a cache)

Hey, I suggested it.

After looking over the various topics of discussion, I thought it was time we talked about we we like. I've seen some comments in other threads... and really, we should let the Groundspeak Gang know that there are aspects of Waymarking that we do like.

What have you enjoyed with Waymarking? Feel free to discuss things related to the actual Waymarking site or Waymarking opportunities you've had, or other positive things that Waymarking has added to your life.

:( The Blue Quasar

I think it has just made me more aware of my surroundings!

Traditional geocaching got me thinking about and noticing good cache sites, a whole new way of thinking about the countryside -- and even the city.

Waymarking has me looking for new waymarks for different categories, and I've seen and noticed things that I never would have without Waymarking.

Of course some catgegories are more interesting than others ( I love waterfalls and covered bridges, for instance) but they all broaden my interest.

I'm still waiting for the "Interesting Manhole Cover" category. (Actually there is a town here that has triangular manhole covers . . . so . . . just maybe . . . .) :P

I think it has just made me more aware of my surroundings!

Traditional geocaching got me thinking about and noticing good cache sites, a whole new way of thinking about the countryside -- and even the city.

Waymarking has me looking for new waymarks for different categories, and I've seen and noticed things that I never would have without Waymarking.

I have to agree having just got back from a vacation trip to the UK where I combined geocaching and Waymarking with the usual touristy things. Made for a very enjoyable trip. Didn't go out of my way to collect geocache finds or waymarks but as we toured around visiting areas I'd do a few caches and keep my eye out for interesting things that might fit a waymark category and recorded them.

Particularly enjoyed the combination of "town tour multis" and Waymarking. A great way to see things the average tourist would miss and walking around with your eyes open for interesting plaques, statues, building etc.

If I'd taken it seriously and had a list of categories I could have bagged a lot more than I did but as it was I have a good collection of photos and waypoints that in many cases will finish up as waymarks. An added benefit is that now I'm back I can do the research - looking up more details to include in the waymark log.

For example we visited Cambridge. Did the town tour multi "Cambridge Dates" and found three "FIRSTS" along the way: FIRST - Announcement of the Secret of Life, FIRST – Discovery of the Electron, FIRST - Banker in Cambridge. All interesting (at least to me) and things I'd have likely completely missed if it wasn't for Geocaching +Waymarking.

Now I just need to find the time to log all the rest of those waymarks I still have in the camera :(

Now I just need to find the time to log all the rest of those waymarks I still have in the camera :smile:

Yeah, me too!!

It is a lot more fun to find the waymarks, take the photos and coords than it is to go through the submission process! If I ever go them all entered, I'd be over the top!

What is right with Waymarking....

Ive been thinking about this for a couple of days. One thing I like is that it has a different sense of fun to it....I think Waymarking will offer a greater sense of community than geocaching. ...

There is an irony in the topic that people who use Waymarking like it. From my own (outside) observations I would compare Waymarking to benchmarking. Some concepts are the same as caching but the experience is different from caching, in a way to attract different people. Benchmarkers also seem to have a higher level of community or maybe cohesive community spirit is a better term. I'm not sure but you are less likely to suffer a flamming post or a controversial topic and even then there is more respect for those in the brotherhood.

Because I don't use Waymarking (or Benchmarking) I'm only really qualified to tell you what I don't like or what it would take to change it to something I might like) However from the outside I do like what Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking has touched on. Even with caching it's an aspect that I never expected to find but enjoy.