Rucksacks - What Do People Use?

Just curious to know what packs people take with them when caching?

I've seen lists of what people take and some lists are quite long.

I like to be reasonably prepared (whistle, torch, phone, spare battery etc) along with a few swaps, a bottle or two of water if out for more than a couple of hours, but I don't go as far as thermal blankets/spare clothes etc. as it doesn't really seem appropriate in the wilds of Surrey. Maybe when I hit Dartmoor?

At the mo I use an old simple rucksack that I don't find particularly comfortable and wondered what you guys use?

I've seen these http://www.maxpedition.com/product/catalog_versipack.htm

and quite like the look of them. Anyone use one? Any thoughts?

Any other rucksacks / daysacks that are recommended?

for most local caches, we use a very old, light Karrimor sac which is now on its last legs. For a slightly larger sach when out for the day away from the car, I Have a lowe alpine sac in very lightweight material, and another heavier duty lowe sac. Finally, for those REALLY big walks, I have a 75L Berghaus... :)

I have got a webbing belt that I carry a few bits on (as well as using to hold up my combats!) and I have looked at some proper DPM gear, but for urban caches, ur more likely to draw attention to yourself with this kit than with a single sac slung over a shoulder.

A decent small light sac should only cost about 40 quid max, so the ones you linked to seem a tad expensive?

Dave

I just use a small rucksack that I purchased in the 'Factory Shop' for a fiver. It has six compartments. two large. two side and two smaller on front. Ideal as one does not overload it. Map, Cache sheets, Palm, Bino's, Batteries, Swops, stickers, dog biscuits, lead, TB's if any, pen/pencil, penknife and silva compass. Also a High Gear sit on fold up mat about 12 x 12 that I was given for Christmas, I use it mostly to put under my knee in damp places looking for low caches. I used to use the cache sheet, but this is de-luxe. Oh! I'm carrying the GPS

and my camera is in my pocket. :laughing::wacko: Each to his own, practical rather than show.

If carrying rucksack far in hot weather, would recomment one with an Airflow back,, lot more cooler.

Ditto.

Other than that I would advise going into a good outdoors shop and see what they recomend for your build,and possible usage of the sack. You can get good small to medium sized rucksacks for £25 these days.

I got a great el cheapo rucksack for £2.99 on Bovingdon market. So far has done me well. Cheap and cheerful.

Hmm, which reminds me, I have one of those mega expensive hip packs lurking around from my walking days (and wild spending spree in Betws-y-coed)... perhaps I will dig that out and give it a go as a caching pack.

Love the packs on your link. Wonder if you can get them in the UK. I like the one with handy gun holster!

This one

No idea if this is 'good one' but bought for me as a Christmas present and I have used if for skiing and caching. Plenty of internal pockets, hole for MP3 player. Net pockets hold water bottle and quick dumping point for GPS once I'm at the site.

Thats the same one I use :rolleyes:

I also use a hip pack - no sweaty back and it's still big enough to fit in everything I need. Plus my GPS clips nicely onto the side. I can fit in the usual swaps, any travel bugs, map, compass, secaters (great for clearing footpaths from brambles!), waterproofs, water bottle, my lunch, camera, pens, stamp, plasters.....................................