Resisting The Urge...

Sparrowhawk

When I was in vacation in Reseda, CA I learned the true meaning of "lame caches".

First, there was a cache in - get this - a fast-food taco place parking lot.

Second was stuck on the side of a metal box in the middle of a shopping mall.

Even though I gave up on caching in Reseda pretty quickly that week, my inner brat really wants to place a cache like that. :)

Must... resist... submitting... a cache like that at a coffeehouse I like here in Portland!

I mean... if they allowed it at a TACO place, why not a coffee place? With the same kind of placement as I saw in Reseda?

I got an angel on one shoulder that says "don't place a lame cache, you KNOW you personally define a good cache by uniqueness of location!".

I also have a devil on the other shoulder that wants to place a cache called "Portland/Reseda Cache Experience"

Arrrggh!

Hey, at least it's a GOOD coffee place... :D

Ther are no "Lame" caches in our query! If someone has taken the time to hide something we appreciate it. They may be of NRV....No Redeeming Value. This is a series a ohjoy! placed in the area. Great idea friend! She had the Mother Load, which released many containers to be placed in a NRV place. We had fun with these... and let me tell you, some we not that easy to find. In fact... Kitelady.... where the heck did you put that one out near Puyallup? :D:D .

We try to find the fun in them all! Not saying we haven't swore at some puzzle caches or some that claim to be 1/1's. When they were truly under-rated.

If we bothered ourselves with the perfection of geocaching we wouldn't be out there having fun! :)

Cache on!

Forgot what this subject was about. Something about a coffee spot??? Sounds good to me. We can always use that afternoon lift! :)

Friends don't let friends place lame caches!

Some people would say all MICROS are lame caches and should be banned. :)

Some days it seems that the only caches that I can find are micros. :) Give me a micro in a park with trees and I'll find it. Give me an ammo can in a park with trees and I seem to wander forever.

Now I'm beginning to wonder where Sparrowhawk's favorite Portland coffee place is. Maybe she needs to find a way to make an inventive hide like some of her other inventive caches in an uninventive spot. PDX Travel Bug Embassy is certainly an inventive cache in a rather drab spot. :D

...and then there's the capital of NRV caches: Nashville, TN. Okay, it's not in the Northwest, but I can't tell you how disappointed I was to go back to my hometown and discover that lamppost/guardrail/etc. lame micros are the norm there, rather than the exception. It's infamous for this, and some people go there just to do numbers runs. *sigh*

So what are everyone's examples of GOOD micros? I got a bunch of the Indiana Micro geocoins when they were for sale to use as FTF prizes. I just haven't figured out good enough spots up near Battle Ground and Vancouver to place the microcaches.

The same as everones example of bad micro's. If I'm thirsty and it's been a long brutal day of caching with a lot of DNFs and I'm doubting my ablity to find an orange ammo can sitting in plain sight in a parking lot there is nothing better than finding a Wally World micro right where you expect it then heading in to sate my thirst with a 6 pack of the right brew. That's how to end things on a positive note.

Sparrowhawk, if you are going to place a lame micro, place a good lame micro. Set the standard and raise the bar. :rolleyes:

So what are everyone's examples of GOOD micros? I got a bunch of the Indiana Micro geocoins when they were for sale to use as FTF prizes. I just haven't figured out good enough spots up near Battle Ground and Vancouver to place the microcaches.

With out giving too much away I did a cache on a cache machine this year that was in a Target parking lot. All indications were that it would be your standard skirt-lifter, but it wasn't. I got real lucky and spotted the container almost instantly. Lucky because as it happened another cacher had shown me a similar container months earlier. We did the cache the night before the actual cache machine on the way to the Friday night dinner so on Saturday during the CM when we got to that cache we got to sit back and watch the group we were with try to find it. I took the opportunity to use the bathroom at Target and they were still looking for it when I got back!! That's a GOOD micro.

With out giving too much away I did a cache on a cache machine this year that was in a Target parking lot. All indications were that it would be your standard skirt-lifter, but it wasn't. I got real lucky and spotted the container almost instantly. Lucky because as it happened another cacher had shown me a similar container months earlier. We did the cache the night before the actual cache machine on the way to the Friday night dinner so on Saturday during the CM when we got to that cache we got to sit back and watch the group we were with try to find it. I took the opportunity to use the bathroom at Target and they were still looking for it when I got back!! That's a GOOD micro.

Yep. :P The recent Longview CM had at least one really clever micro. I'm starting to feel an urge to create a Good Micros bookmark list. :(

One of the interesting things about caching is that what's lame in one place is new and original in another. Light pole box caches are horribly overdone in many locations, but raved about as the best idea since sliced bread when they are the first one in the area.

Lameness truly is in the eye of the beholder sometimes.

The advantage of this coffee place is that they have live computers as well as free WiFi there so you can instantly post your find. And it's about 10 minutes from the airport cache, heading directly south.

Hmmm... I like the idea of taking a lame parking-lot micro idea and having the challenge of making it clever.

Hmmmm....! Well, this DOES change things. <_<

I gotta get some thinkin' done! :tired:

Stay tuned...

Awwww...we come up to Vancouver/Portland a couple of times a year to escape lame California micros (there was three, yes three, micros in the parking lot of our Wal-Mart).

The only thing worse than a lame parking lot micro is a "clever" lame parking lot micro that keeps you there looking forever to find it (or worse, to NOT find it).

Just say no...

Ed & Julie

Awwww...we come up to Vancouver/Portland a couple of times a year to escape lame California micros (there was three, yes three, micros in the parking lot of our Wal-Mart).

The only thing worse than a lame parking lot micro is a "clever" lame parking lot micro that keeps you there looking forever to find it (or worse, to NOT find it).

Just say no...

Ed & Julie

But Sparrowhawk can be pretty inventive sometimes :-) I'm curious what she comes up with this time.

Maybe I'll have to hide an ammo can in the forest to balance out her clever micro. :-)

PastorDIC

One of the interesting things about caching is that what's lame in one place is new and original in another. Light pole box caches are horribly overdone in many locations, but raved about as the best idea since sliced bread when they are the first one in the area.

I totally agree, when I hid my "skirt lifter" micro I had never seen a hide like that before and thought I was being quite clever. Now that I have found a few more caches (including the inevitable LPC), I see that I am not as original or as clever as I thought. At least I attached a metal plate to the skirt so the magnetic cache stays up in the skirt. Don't worry, I won't even hide another micro!

Edited by soilsqueezer

Well, it looks like I have made a decision to go ahead with what will seem like a parking-lot "lame" cache on the surface... but it now turns out that a better purpose for it has come up.

That new reason removes the lameness of the cache. :laughing:

The name of the cache is going to be something techy like "802.11 + LAN". And it's going to be magnetic, which just fits the theme somehow.

That geeky name says everything about what you can also find at the cache site besides the cache itself. Makes the coffee angle kinda irrelevant. Is that cool news or what? <_<

Stay tuned, I hope to have it in this weekend, and I hope it is approvable. :ph34r:

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Well, it looks like I have made a decision to go ahead with what will seem like a parking-lot "lame" cache on the surface... but it now turns out that a better purpose for it has come up.

That new reason removes the lameness of the cache. :laughing:

The name of the cache is going to be something techy like "802.11 + LAN". And it's going to be magnetic, which just fits the theme somehow.

That geeky name says everything about what you can also find at the cache site besides the cache itself. Makes the coffee angle kinda irrelevant. Is that cool news or what? <_<

Stay tuned, I hope to have it in this weekend, and I hope it is approvable. :ph34r:

So where is this lame cache? North? In our eyes all caches are worth looking for! If it's down South we may have to make a trip this summer..... BUT we will look for it!

Remember, anyplace you can put a lame micro you can put one of these:

1602a925-d79d-4063-9a78-ca06c10bdb07.jpg

Oops, I should mention, so that it’s not mistaken for a real electrical box, it’s clearly marked

UNITED STATES GEOCACHE

SITE LOGGING STATION

DO NOT DISTURB

Edited by Criminal

802.11 is now live. We have what otherwise would have been a lame micro in a parking lot - except that it's been de-lamed by the fact that you can walk into an air-conditioned space nearby and log your cache online after logging in the cache's tiny logbook. You don't even have to bring your own laptop. :blink:

It's also a good place to take a break in the middle of the day to relax, sip something and do online logging of your latest cache finds without having to go home first. Thus this new cache serves as a good public service to other geocachers - especially out-of-town visitors.

Edited by Sparrowhawk