Log Current Weather Condition?

Texas-Jacksons

I did a brief search and didn't come up with anything on this idea, so if it has been discussed before please let me know.

I was logging several caches this weekend and wondered if it's possible to make Smilies of weather conditions (e.g. sunny, partly cloudy, cloudy, rain, t-storms, etc) Something similar to the icons the weatherman uses in his weekly forecast that we can add to our logs.

It would be a fun addition to the smilies especially since I tend to bring out the most severe weather conditions when I'm camping and geocaching.

Any other thoughts on this idea?

~Kim

Doable? Absolutely!

Useful? Perhaps..

Fun? For some.

The big problem I see is the inevitable clamor for another special smilie to suit some particular situation or other. Before long the smilie list would be fourteen pages long, and unusable.

I would enjoy knowing the weather conditions when you visited a cache, but I think a few short words and the use of one of the existing smilies (one that expresses YOUR feelings about the weather) would suffice.

ie:

Cloudy, 14 Deg.F, heavy snow, :shocked:

Sunny, 81 Deg.F , light winds 3-5 MPH, ;)

Log date 05-07-06

by Ed & Julie

Found it

[partly sunny smilie]

[humidity smilie]

[pollen count smilie]

[molds count smilie]

[wind speed smilie]

[pressure smilie]

[dewpoint smilie]

[visibility smilie]

[uV index smilie]

TNLNSL

Edited by Ed & Julie

We should be encouraging people to be more creative and descriptive in their logs. Using iconic shortcuts is the opposite of that.

I thought the point was to keep people outside Geocaching and not spending time on the computer? You could easily say the same about standard smilies and creativity in expressing your personal emotion.

However, I do see the point in too many smilie options. It does make me think of a more important topic and that is the actual cache condition. I was getting tired of posting caches in tip top condition in Texas :rolleyes: and Soggy or floating away in California :laughing: . Something like: [shiny happy cache], [not so shiny cache], [dripping wet cache], [non-existent].

Simply stated, smilies are not necessary. They're just for fun. A shortcut or quick addition to the log posted. Thanks for every ones opinions.

Cloudy, 14 Deg.F, heavy snow, :unsure:

Sunny, 81 Deg.F , light winds 3-5 MPH, :rolleyes:

Cloudy, 14 Deg.F, heavy snow, :unsure:

"
A fresh coating of snow blanketed the forest, untouched by anything but occasional animal tracks. I felt quite a sense of accomplishment in being able to use my Geo-sense to locate the ammo box under a foot of snow. The empty woods were just what I needed today. I sat at the cache area and soaked up the silence for an extra ten minutes of meditation. Thanks for bringing me here!
"

Sunny, 81 Deg.F , light winds 3-5 MPH, :laughing:

Ack! Another of those hot, humid days when persistent perspiration and mobs of muggles combined to ruin a day I had free for geocaching. Everyone and his brother and his dog was out and about in the woods today. They needed traffic lights at the trail junctions. I don't think anyone saw me logging in, but I still worry whether I was stealthy enough. I put the cache back and left the area as quickly as possible."

Moral: We'd never be able to agree on what icons to use.