Newbie & Son Looking For A Starter Gps

brewbo

My 10 yr old and I are new to GEOCACHING. I see the Magellan eXplorist 200 is $100 w/$30 rebate. How would this unit be for us?

Any help would be appreciated

Bo

Should work fine. It is a basic gps. For the same money you can get the yellow Garmin eTrex at most sporting goods places or Walmart. This would be my suggestion after hearing many horror stories about Magellan's poor customer service.

I'm still on my little yellow eTrex ... good for normal caching, not the greatest for the frustrating little ones.

Start cheap and invest after you've got the hang of it. No sense in blowing the college fund until you're sure you're gonna love it. ... but you probably will.

And for slightly more (about $120) you can get an eTrex Legend. Same ease of use as the little yellow, but it comes with a cord that connects to your computer so you can upload coords automatically.

We used eTrexes for our first 300 caches, and loved them. We upgraded only so we could have auto-routing. We kept the eTrexes and loan them to guests we cache with or have them handy for spares just in case (but we have never had a problem with our Gramin products).

By the way, we have cached in a group that included Torry a couple of times --His little yellow and our little blue got us as close to the caches as any of the others who were with us.

I would recomend the Etrex Legend over the basic etrex.

Not a ton of money, but you won't out grow it in a month.

It is a good idea to get a unit that has the ability to hook up to the computer.

Sooner or later you are going to want to load waypoints from the computer right too the GPSr.

Saves both time and errors with the added bonus that you can have the GPSr look for the nearest caches.

Say you go to the store and have a little time to spare. You just fire up the GPSr and see what is close by.

As for other manufacturers you will have to get advice from those who use them.

I'd stay away from the eXplorist 100 because if you get even a little into this sport, you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade to a unit that hooks up to a PC. The fore mentioned eTrex Legend and yellow eTrex to, as does the Garmin Geko 201 (the 201 is a very good choice for the technically impaired).

If you like the eXplorist line, the 210 is the cheapest one that has a PC hookup.

I'd stay away from the eXplorist 100 because if you get even a little into this sport, you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade to a unit that hooks up to a PC. The fore mentioned eTrex Legend and yellow eTrex to, as does the Garmin Geko 201 (the 201 is a very good choice for the technically impaired).

If you like the eXplorist line, the 210 is the cheapest one that has a PC hookup.

We've been geocaching for over two years and our Geko 201 does just fine for us still! Best $135 plus $25 for the cable we've spent. Now if I could only find an easy way to become paperless for the technologically impaired! :)