Magellan 600 Vs Xl

So I went to the store yesterday to pick up my magellan 600 and I saw the XL with the larger screen and both were the same price (REI local store). I was going to get a 600 because of the 3 point electronic compass for geocaching. However I like the XL large screen, is it possible in the future for magellan to put out a firmware upgrade to give it an electronic compass. Talked to the sales rep there and didn't get any brilliant information I did not already know.

So I left the store empty handed.

So my question is to all that own the 600 and XL please weigh in on which way I should go. I pulled between the larger screen on the XL but also the nice features on the 600 like the electronic compass and geocache manager (not sure if the XL has that magellan site doesn't list this unit for geocaching (XL))

One other thing I already order my Mapsend TOPO 3D US. I have heard people say that you need to update the basemap to use this but you will lose the contour lines in all your maps is this true? Or is there a workaround to maintain the contour lines. I already know about the 2 step procedure to upload maps(hopefully they will update the topo to work in one step in the future)

Thanks in advance,

Storm180

Edited by storm180

The eXplorist XL is worth it with a nice big Map screen, and I like it with the data fields turned off, for a nice big map display.

The eXplorist 600 is the only one with the 3-axis electronic compass and barometric sensor, but the XL is sensitive enough to give you an idea of direction of movement, so that when you walk a few feet, it shows the direction of travel based on the last couple of position fixes, so it uses a simulated compass. The only problem with the XL is the thing needs 4 AA batteries, but it is still a good unit.

The XL does not have the same firmware update as the 400/500/600, but it still works for Geocaching, so you can't mark a cache as found, but you can save a POI using the Cache's waypoint name, in a folder called Found Caches. Then you could create a file in that folder, using the Date like 2006May06, then when you save a POI for a found cache you could call it GCKAPV 1238 PM, to indicate the time found.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I have the 600. The bigger screen on the XL was not that appealing to me. I prefer the smaller overall size of the 600. It fits in the hand nicely can slip into a pocket easily. I travel a lot so the smaller size for me is what works best. The XL overall size seemed to massive. Plus the compass is a nice feature.

Edited by The Man

I have the XL and bought it for the big screen as well. I use it on my motorcycle for trips both on road and off. I have found the screen to be very poor in sunlight- so much that my old gray scale Legend was easier to read. The AA batteries are a must for me as I cannot get the rechargable batteries recharged camping, but I can always bring additional batteries.

I have the XL and bought it for the big screen as well. I use it on my motorcycle for trips both on road and off. I have found the screen to be very poor in sunlight- so much that my old gray scale Legend was easier to read. The AA batteries are a must for me as I cannot get the rechargable batteries recharged camping, but I can always bring additional batteries.

I'm having the same problem with the Map60Cx, and the screen can darken on it when the glare is bad, and I wished that the anti-glare coatings were better on the GPS units. When I'm driving and the sun is out I cannot see the screen, unless the backlight is ON. This probably is the same with the XL?

Well thanks for all the quick replies on this, I really appreciate it. Just for a side note on use wise. I will be only using this for geocaching and hiking. I have a magellan 760 in the car for around town vehicle navigation.

I guess the big question would be if I already have a vehicle navigation system do I really need the bigger screen for geocaching? You people who bought the XL do you use it for vehicle navigation and geocaching?

Edited by storm180

Well thanks for all the quick replies on this, I really appreciate it. Just for a side note on use wise. I will be only using this for geocaching and hiking. I have a magellan 760 in the car for around town vehicle navigation.

I guess the big question would be if I already have a vehicle navigation system do really need the bigger screen for geocaching? You people who bought the XL do you use it for vehicle navigation and geocaching?

I use mine in my vehicle as well although I have not yet bought the software to do autorouting. It is visible in hte car only when the back light is on full during the daytime and stepped down at night. I pretty much cannot use the unit without backlighting.

I seriously considered an XL because I liked the large screen. Besides using out in the field, I wanted a unit that had a larger screen that was more practical for use in the car as compared to the postage stamp sized screens that the compact units so popular these days all (necessarily) have.

I didn't mind larger palm size of the XL, but the weight ended up being a show stopper to me - It weighs over 12oz and I didn't like the idea of having of having the weight of a a full can of soda hanging off my belt or backpack all of the time. But that's just me.

Thanks for the opinions. I am not looking for a heavy item to lug around while caching but I only need the unit for geocaching.

The people who have the 600 is the screen big enough to be able to read. I mean I don't want to have to squint to read my maps or waypoints. In the opinion of the owners of the 600 is the screen big enough?

Storm180

I have failing vision, that is making it hard to read GPS screens, and the Map60Cx, has the minimum usable screen for me, but I might get the eXplorist XL myself, because of the large screen.

eXplorist XL > 240x320 = 76,800 pixels

eXplorist 600> 176x220 = 38,720 pixels

The XL has twice the pixels as a exp 600 has.

If your using the map mostly>XL

If your using the Compass mostly>600

Edited by GOT GPS?

The people who have the 600 is the screen big enough to be able to read. I mean I don't want to have to squint to read my maps or waypoints. In the opinion of the owners of the 600 is the screen big enough?

I find my 500 big enough for hiking (I even used it for driving). After the Meridian I had previously (about the same size as the Explorist, though not quite as heavy), I really like and prefer the size for hiking. It's much easier to slip in and out a pocket.

is it possible in the future for magellan to put out a firmware upgrade to give it an electronic compass.

firmware upgrade. OH......you know how to make a funny.

I have an XL and love to HUGE screen. It fits in my back pocket to.

I have the XL and use it for hiking and Geocaching. It fits in a pocket but I prefer to carry it in a pocket on my backpack strap or in a fannypack. It works and tracks while in either.

I wondered about getting a "smaller" and "lighter" one but wanted one that would be good for years to come and "expand" along with my abilities and all. Batts so far have not been a problem as I do not hike with it constantly on. Also you have three settings for the screen and if you use the "lowest" one the batt drain is low also.

Even if I had a 210 or Garmin I think I would use a fannypack or pocket on the backpack strap as I would want to protect the unit. In a pants pocket it seems (no matter what size) so vulnerable.

But, to each their own.

-SunnyWalker :ph34r:

This is getting funny, with ANOTHER GRAB at an older XL thread, and I mentioned in my last post that "I might get the eXplorist XL", and I have to change that to I GOT GPS.

Hey Sunny, you don't need to dig up more XL threads.

I have a new picture showing the detail that is possible.

Clickable Image:th_eXploristXL-HighDetail.jpg

I have to admit here that even with the eXplorist XL having the Largest screen, and a good file cabinate full of maps, tracks, POI, etc, that nothing comes close to my Map60Cx as a good trip data recorder and tracklog recorder, that GPS is the best I ever had, but the XL helps alot with giving much more map detail that the Map60Cx, just don't got.

I could have bought the Street Pilot c330, because it got the same size and resolution screen as the eXplorist (The LCD display module probably is supplied by a different manufacturer). Since I already got the Map60Cx with City Select 7 and a 512meg card, I did not need the StreetPilot c330, but thought that I could test the waters over at Lake Magellan.

EDIT: A funny BIG oops, I had a big image here linked to the thumbnail, that took me by surprize, also a million or so edits

Edited by GOT GPS?