Wap.geocaching.com

Kobayashi

I've started using my blackberry for finding caches while I'm on the road. I log into the system via WAP.GEOCACHING.COM to seach for nearbye caches using the coords on my GPS.

It works really well and it even lets you log caches pick up/drop off TB's while you are at it.

My only beef with the system is that you need to search for caches using hhhh.mmmmmm units. Once you've made your search it gives you nearbye cache coords in hh.mm.mmm units which requires a system preference change on your GPS. This is a major pain especially when you want to perform multiple searches.

Anyone else using a mobile device to search for caches? Am I missing something?

I have to agree that trying to locate nearby caches in the old fashioned latitude , Longitude method sucks.

If they can make it like N45 ##.### and W078 ##.### style that would WAy easier!

Other then that its a cool way to cache. No more lap tops or Palm pilots when you can log in through that handy method!!

I've started using my blackberry for finding caches while I'm on the road. I log into the system via WAP.GEOCACHING.COM to seach for nearbye caches using the coords on my GPS.

It works really well and it even lets you log caches pick up/drop off TB's while you are at it.

My only beef with the system is that you need to search for caches using hhhh.mmmmmm units. Once you've made your search it gives you nearbye cache coords in hh.mm.mmm units which requires a system preference change on your GPS. This is a major pain especially when you want to perform multiple searches.

Anyone else using a mobile device to search for caches? Am I missing something?

Hi!

I found this wap.geocaching.com this evening and I am definetly going to use it in future. When using wap, coordinates need to be given in degrees, and its decimals. Transforming this to minutes can be done with calculator by dividivng decimals by 0.6. Tranforming minutes to degree decimals can be done by multiplying decimals by 0,6. Naturally this can be calculated inaccurately without calculator too. Most of the cases this approximate calculation is enough. ( I made some tests)

This is no major pain!, but I found one severe problem! There is no sign What is the size of the cache in wap version! This is essential information and it is missing on wap description. This could be solved by adding one letter in front of D/T ratings . M=Micro, S=Small, R=Regular, L=Large, ?=not defined. Or something like this!

BR: TJAI

I use wap.geocaching.com all the time...used it yesterday even as I knew a cache was nearby while out and about but didn't have it in my GPS yet.

While I agree its a bit of a pain, it takes less than 5 seconds to change the GPS to decimal degrees then another 5 back so that's no big deal. I just wish you could log into your profile and then when doing the search based on coordinates, have it only show those you haven't found (or allow you to choose all or not found). I hate having to scroll through a few pages just to find the one I haven't done within 30km.

Regardless, its a small price to pay for a great convenience like that.