Palm Vs. WinOS Gps

InHope

I saw the whole thread on using a Palm PDA for geocaching, and it didn't really go into anything for people who use handhelds with WinOS like my Dell Axim. It looks like it's possible, but is it more trouble than it's worth? Should I just buy a GPS unit instead?

Don't be sorry, I would be upset.

Edit to add.

Although I don't know much about WinOS units and Geocaching I would recommend getting a cost effective(cheap) PDA for caching use. You don't want to drop an expensive unit in some creek.

Edited by gof1

Don't be sorry, I would be upset.

Edit to add.

Although I don't know much about WinOS units and Geocaching I would recommend getting a cost effective(cheap) PDA for caching use. You don't want to drop an expensive unit in some creek.

Thanks to whoever capitalized the OS for me :shocked:

So do you use both a PDA and a GPS?

I use Mapopolis on my PPC. It auto routes using voice and visual prompts. Using gpxtomaplet you can overlay all the caches on the Mapopolis street maps and auto route from one cache to the other or see what caches are nearby as you drive around doing other things. Add gpxsonar to your PPC and you can go paperless. I use my PPC in the woods but my Vista is hardier but lately I've been using the PPC because its GPS in the SF slot is a Sirf Star III technology that works better than any other under the foliage.

Having a dedicated GPS is also great.

I considered this, but decided on the "two unit" approach. When caching, the GPSr tends to get bumped around a lot, etc. and I would be afraid of losing a PDA (which is not very rugged). The GPSr is at least somewhat rugged and meant for field use. I

So, I carry my PDA/Smartphone safely in my pocket or hip pouch and my GPSr on my lanyard around my neck. Since the PDA also has a GPSr function, it serves as a backup GPSr in case my batteries die in the field or after I've found the cache and now find myself unable to find the car (of course having forgot to bring batteries with me).

You're better off getting a regular handheld GPS. PDAs and pocket PCs are built for the office and briefcase and are not designed to handle the abuse they will receive while geocaching. They will be dropped, rained on, snowed, dunked in streams, banged on rocks and dragged through brush. Handheld GPS units are built to take this.

To get a GPS adapter for my dell would cost 200+ and it looks slightly cumbersome.

And it is. Get a cheapo PDA off ebay for example for $30-$35 bucks or thereabouts. The M500 series would be a good choice. Get the PDA application named Cachmate which manages the cache listings once they are downloaded. Get GSAK for downloading and managing caches from gc.com. GSAK will load the caches into the pda's cachmate application for you.

Get the GPSr that will accomodate your needs for the forseeable future. ;):shocked::D

Edited by Team Cotati

Ok I need one more clafication and I should be finished.

When we're talking about lugging around paper, are we talking about a map of the cahce area? I can't think of anything else that would need to be printed off exactly, since the waypoints would be on the GPSr. What else is entailed in using paper?

When we're talking about lugging around paper, are we talking about a map of the cahce area? I can't think of anything else that would need to be printed off exactly, since the waypoints would be on the GPSr. What else is entailed in using paper?

People are usually referring to the cache page. It has the coordinates and often some info about the cache and of course, the hint.

To get a GPS adapter for my dell would cost 200+ and it looks slightly cumbersome.

GPS with Sirf Star III technology that slips into athe SD slot with 512M memory included, and other features cost 140.00 http://www.semsons.com/glsdsdgpswbu.html

If you have a CF slot it will cost 86.00 http://www.semsons.com/bccoflgpsres.html

I use the latter.

Unless you get the new "x" type GPS from Garmin, you won't be getting the Sirf Star III teechnology - something that picks up the satellite signals better than the older GPS available.

GPS with Sirf Star III technology that slips into athe SD slot with 512M memory included, and other features cost 140.00 http://www.semsons.com/glsdsdgpswbu.html

If you have a CF slot it will cost 86.00 http://www.semsons.com/bccoflgpsres.html

I use the latter.

Unless you get the new "x" type GPS from Garmin, you won't be getting the Sirf Star III teechnology - something that picks up the satellite signals better than the older GPS available.

Looking at some comparison studies it seems like the SSIII Tech is really quite good. However, if hundreds of others are surviving without it why bother? Although getting a cf GPSr for my ppc is a lot cheaper than even the eTrex Legend

Looking at some comparison studies it seems like the SSIII Tech is really quite good. However, if hundreds of others are surviving without it why bother? Although getting a cf GPSr for my ppc is a lot cheaper than even the eTrex Legend

Getting a CF GPSr for your PPC is cheaper than a Legend until you get caught out in a thunderstorm, or fall into a stream and have to buy a new PPC.

Getting a CF GPSr for your PPC is cheaper than a Legend until you get caught out in a thunderstorm, or fall into a stream and have to buy a new PPC.

Not if I put it in one of those plastic packs. I thought those worked very well??

Edited by InHope

Not if I put it in one of those plastic packs. I thought those worked very well??

Until you drop it on rocks.

I use those plastic packs. They come with a neck lanyard. I have to admit I don't use it any more. I've gotten too comfortable keeping my PPC in my breast pocket and pulling it out when I need info regading bearing or about the cache. As I mentioned too, a regular GPS is safer but since you have a PPC already, an 86.00 CF GPS investment might be all you need to start. If you don't like caching, you can give it up without the expense of a separate GPS.

Latter you can get a dedicated GPS and carry both.

Use the PPC for paperless caching and auto routing when driving from cache to cache. Then get a GPS for use in the woods in risky situations. For use on a simple trail, the PPC should be safe enough in a plastic pouch with a neck lanyard.

There is the tradeoff. You'll have to decide.

Don't forget Puzzle caches. One almost always need a printout to solve puzzle caches while on the run.

I used my Palm tugsten E for almost two years - lugging it around in the woods and bouncing it around in the car. I never had a problem from that use. However, the off/on switch was a different story. It needed repaired 3 or 4 times before I gave up on the unit. Even with the switch broke you could turn on the unit by inserting a SD card. But it had to time out to turn off. Needless to say, the battery (which is user unfriendly) ran down quickly.

I've purchased the Dell Axim and have never been happier. No more 2 hour conversions - just load the .GPX file and go. The maps are much better than what I could get for the Palm. And "insurance" can be purchased which would cover just about any damage you might do to the unit.

Just to make things clear - I use the PDA for more than just geocaching. If that's your only gig, then go with the cheapest unit and just enjoy the sport without worrying about your equipment.

I carry my Ipaq 3955 in the field with me all the time while I am caching. It is in a nicely protected case in my fanny pack. I take it out when I need information on the cache I am searching for. I use my GPS for what it was intended for, and with some of the spills etc that I have takem while caching I am glad that it is a rugged unit. I am sure that like many of the above posters have stated it would have been toast long time ago if I had used it as a GPS.

It all comes down to being careful, that's all...I have been caching since 2001 and have never dropped a GPS or PDA once, ever.

Take one second to slow down when referencing the screens. Moving at top speed and trying to fumble with an electronic gadget is a recipe for disaster, guaranteed.

Put it away when climbing rocks.

If you have to hold it and climb rocks, face the screen towards your hand, that way, if you do fall, you won't be smashing the screen side into anything.

Well I purchased the eTrex Legend Adventure Pack which was the Legend, Topo, cables, and instructional video for 150 shipped. I should be getting it Monday or Tuesday

I put GSAK and Cachemate on my PPC, and have been playing around with that some. It's very easy to use. I'll probably just use it for logging stuff and keep it in my bag. I'm concerned about dropping it because I'm a klutz :ph34r:

Thank you, all, for all the tips. They helped quite a bit.