Cacher Of The Month

That's an interesting question Nick. I too adopted some caches lately, so I did not place them... however, I did go out and replace the caches with a new box of goodies... so perhaps I did? I too would be interested in a consensus opinion on this.

I'm going to modify my original thought of "No, they shouldn't count" to:

I replaced the box on one of them, so I'm going to count that, but not the other two (one of which I haven't even done a maintenence visit yet).

that gives me 110 points this month, which doesn't quite beat my personal best, is nowhere near the top, and doesn't get me my usual last place spot.

I'd personally not count adopted caches as I had not done the research and did not devise the cache idea. I don't think replacing the box or putting some swaps in it counts (surely it's just normal cache maintenance).

I know when I set my own caches, 99% of the work is in the planning and the rest in the execution (i.e. putting a cache box together and placing it in the place I'd already decided to hide it).

If I had to relocate an adopted cache to a new hidey hole that I had to find then I might be tempted to count it.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

As there is no specific mention of this in the COTM rules, I will take the consensus on this. I vote for counting them.

Why not have a reward for adopting and putting work into caches. After all, that's why setting caches attracts more points than finding them.

I'd personally not count adopted caches as I had not done the research and did not devise the cache idea. I don't think replacing the box or putting some swaps in it counts (surely it's just normal cache maintenance).

I know when I set my own caches, 99% of the work is in the planning and the rest in the execution (i.e. putting a cache box together and placing it in the place I'd already decided to hide it).

Good point well made. The hard work is in the design of the location / puzzle / description / clues etc...

Maybe a lesser number of points for adopting (more than a normal find), but not full "new cache" points.

Totally agree - this sounds the fairest way to do it. I guess the only thing is it complicates things a little as there would be a new box on the entry form but should not be too hard to implement if this route is decided on :blink:

I know it's only for fun but I am quite competitive :anibad:

Maybe a lesser number of points for adopting (more than a normal find), but not full "new cache" points.

We have had this discussion before and the concencus THEN was that adoptions should not count and I've not counted any that I've adopted.

I think that the argument about about cache complexity is very valid though. I've placed caches taking literally seconds of planning and some which have taken weeks, same points. I think common sense the the key here, adopt and do nothing, no points. Adopt and replace the cache, or whatever, points.

Hmm, I'm thinking about this one. Only problem would be if any results are disputed, how can I confirm that caches have been adopted and replaced etc.

It wouldn't be a problem to implement it however, if opinion was that this was a good idea. This won't happen this month though.

It's not cut and dried though, I recently adopted a cache and had to travel a fair way to replace it, whereas at least one of my caches took MUCH less effort than that :anibad:

Rules have to be black and white though, so I think they shouldn't count.

As the initiator of this discussion, I think it appears that the majority think that adopted caches shouldn't count.

I'd agree with this, so I've asked Adam to remove the points I added earlier.

Not having points for adopting does keep it simpler. If we try and get too complex, it'll lose its character.

Well I'll personally be counting the cache I apopted this month, as it's a new ammo can with new contents, new log book and new location - essentially a new cache carrying on the tradition of the ruined original.

Anyhow, Adam, if you're thinking of changing the points system in the future, how about a single point for the new "discovered it" TB/Geocoin log?

Hi all,

Just a quick note to remind people that the Cacher of the Month website is now accepting results for the month of April. The latest date for submitting your stats is the 15th of May.

If you haven't taken part before you can now register on the website. If anyone has any problems please let me know.

Regards,

Adam

What are the Odds on DaBeEm being COTM for April??

Or has anybody else been on a caching frenzy?

:o:ph34r:

if you have put your cotm bar on your gc.com profile does it auto update with the pasted html or do you have to re cut and paste the code each month?

It will auto update, the same as the trigpoint or the geocaching stats bar

Edited by Deego

Hi all,

Just a quick note to remind people that the Cacher of the Month website is now accepting results for the month of April. The latest date for submitting your stats is the 15th of May.

If you haven't taken part before you can now register on the website. If anyone has any problems please let me know.

Regards,

Adam

:lol::lol:

I had a good month and am hoping to make the top 10

Mind you, April is a good month for most people - Easter holidays and, hopefully, some decent weather

April has been a very good month. Broken the record for the number of entries, second time this year. Still time if you haven't entered for April. Entries close at midnight tonight with the results published tomorrow morning.

Regarding the CotM stats image, as Deego has said, it is dynamic, so will change itself. My intention is to allow users to customise the image with whatever stats they wish to display but its not a key priority so it'll have to wait until I've got less to be doing.

Hi all,

Regards,

Adam

:(:lol:

I had a good month and am hoping to make the top 10

Mind you, April is a good month for most people - Easter holidays and, hopefully, some decent weather

Ah well, I made the top 20 :(

Not even top for trig points this month

As an html numpty how do you link to the COTM 'badge'?

Keep it simple please!!!

Keep it simple please!!!

If you are meaning the image that has your stats then if you log in and then click on 'Stat bar' under where it says 'Submit results' you can find the HTML you need.

Keep it simple please!!!

If you are meaning the image that has your stats then if you log in and then click on 'Stat bar' under where it says 'Submit results' you can find the HTML you need.

Quick reply and straightforward

Many thanks! :(

And as for the cache setting - it's all DaBeEm's fault for introducing me to caching in the first place!! :wub:

Oh! - knew someone was going to get the blame!!!

WoW thanks DaBeEm - now have the next 5 weekends booked up trying to catch up on PP caches??? and thats before we get started on other peoples?

Need time to set some ourselves???

Yep DaBeEM- THANKS :wub::ph34r::wub:

Congratulations anyway for COTM

(ooops is it OK to say congrats in this thread??? :wub: )

Edited by Team Clova

:ph34r: Due to finger trouble our April total never made it for consideration. But the good news is that while googling this morning I've found an alternative source of fun ANd for only a long afternoons work I can become the 4th most successful geocacher in the UK. Not only that but we think that with some good planning we could actually bag every cache in GB in about a fortnight - not saying whether that number is bigger or smaller than 312.

:ph34r: On a sad not however, having only started geocaching in October 2005, we had not realised that there had been such an acrimonius split in the GC community. Some of it seemingly to do with issues that we still see being raised like MOCs and commercial/charity caches.

:ph34r: One thing I did pick up on though was the issue of whether or not to log a find online. I realise why some cachers may feel strongly enough to be against doing this (though to me it does feel a little like thoseWWII Japanese soldiers still hidding out in the bush) but does this explain some of those mysterious jumps that TBs occasionally do?