Love The New Google Maps Link!

Granted - I'm new to geocaching but while on this topic:

Is there any Google Earth Layer for Geocache's yet?

It would be amazing if there was a dynamicly updating layer that added any new geocaches and marked all current ones.

Granted - I'm new to geocaching but while on this topic:

Is there any Google Earth Layer for Geocache's yet?

It would be amazing if there was a dynamicly updating layer that added any new geocaches and marked all current ones.

Found what I was looking for - it's a link hidden in the bottom right of the "My Account" page.

Install Google Earth and this layer and all I can say is...wow!

The only problem Ive noticed is that if you move around too quickly the points will sometimes render off the mark.

One was about three blocks away from where it should have been so when using the layer just move the map slowly.

Found what I was looking for - it's a link hidden in the bottom right of the "My Account" page.

Install Google Earth and this layer and all I can say is...wow!

The only problem Ive noticed is that if you move around too quickly the points will sometimes render off the mark.

One was about three blocks away from where it should have been so when using the layer just move the map slowly.

When using the Geocaching KML file with Google Earth, the cache locations have an intentional error added to them. The jumping around you see is the intentional error changing as Google Earth reloads the geocaches. You should not use Google Earth for finding caches. It is meant only for exploring what geocaches may be in an area. Premium members can download a GPX file with the geocaches they want to find and display that in Google Earth to see the caches without the added error.

Edited by tozainamboku

I've been working on my own application to produce a similar Googlemaps overlay.

I read my GPX file (XML) into an access database, perform a little filtering and assign different color pushpins for different cache states:

Red = Not found

Yellow = Found

Blue = DNF

Grey = Inactive

I then produce an HTML file using the Keyless API method so the file resides on my hard disk allowing me to apply whatever formatting I desire (colors, size, etc.) and no need to HOST the resulting file.

Additional filtering is in the works:

Oldest

Newest

Most recent find

Cache type and size

The results are looking pretty good, especially when looking for clusters of unfound caches while planning your day's efforts:

googlemaps1.jpg

I think using the numbered pushpins is a great idea, along with the side panel as shown on the Geocaching link above. I've found "Hacking Googlemaps" book a very good reference. :shocked:

Edited by markp99