Did I Find 5 Or 6 Caches?

Sonjaaa

When I look at my little status bar, it says I've found a total of 6 caches, but when I browse the caches I've found, there are only 5 listed. Am I doing something wrong? Where's the missing cache? :ph34r:

Is it perhaps because I visited one cache more than once and logged the two visits to the same cache? If so, then the website shouldn't count it as another find. It's the same cache I found a previous time.

Sonja

Is it perhaps because I visited one cache more than once and logged the two visits to the same cache? If so, then the website shouldn't count it as another find. It's the same cache I found a previous time.

Yes, that is the problem. The website will count multiple finds on the same cache. The best way to eliminate that is to log subsequent visits to the cache as Notes. Because you really only "found" it that first time!

Thanks Fizzy,

Maybe the website should not allow multiple finds of the same cache then, because it skewers personal statistics. It should automatically recommend using a note if you try to "find" a cache you've already found. An idea for the site designers and programmers.

Sonja

There are a few old grandfathered moving caches which along with the now archived locationless caches made sense to find more than once. More debatable are caches that provide bonus finds and caches that have been moved to where they are essentially new caches but kept the same GC code. Puritans would probably argue that these should not be be logged more than once.

Thanks Fizzy,

Maybe the website should not allow multiple finds of the same cache then, because it skewers personal statistics. It should automatically recommend using a note if you try to "find" a cache you've already found. An idea for the site designers and programmers.

Sonja

I agree. It would be simpler if the site only let you find a cache ones and then only let you log it as something else later. Simpler for us, probably not as simple for the site though.

There are a few old grandfathered moving caches which along with the now archived locationless caches made sense to find more than once. More debatable are caches that provide bonus finds and caches that have been moved to where they are essentially new caches but kept the same GC code. Puritans would probably argue that these should not be be logged more than once.

The debate about what is being called a bonus cache is going on now. Personally I don't see the need for these bonus caches when the same thing is accomplished by creating an unknown cache and putting the coords in the cache container of the first cache.

Also, caches that have changed significantly enough that logging a second find would be justified should instead be archived and a new listing made for the obviously new cache. There is very little reason, if any, to recycle cache numbers.

The debate about what is being called a bonus cache is going on now. Personally I don't see the need for these bonus caches when the same thing is accomplished by creating an unknown cache and putting the coords in the cache container of the first cache.

What you just described already exists, its called a multi.

Also, caches that have changed significantly enough that logging a second find would be justified should instead be archived and a new listing made for the obviously new cache. There is very little reason, if any, to recycle cache numbers.

I agree with this, personally I think that you should not be allowed to log a second find on a cache, and that TPTB should automatically convert all second and subsequent finds by the same person on the same cache to notes.

I've put a couple "bonus" caches on two of my caches. This one has a "bonus" link to a cache that has been archived for years, but is still present. This one has a "bonus' link to a cache that has been there for over a year but never got approved (not sure whose it is, but I found it while hiding my own!)

If anybody tried to log multiple finds on my caches though, I'd delete the second find with a message to the cacher.