Correct Zipcode, Incorrect Home Coordinates

VWBusBoys

:ph34r: When we placed our cache we were told that our home coordinates were over 500 miles from where we put the cache. All the updates that I get are for somewhere in Canada. My zipcode is correct 98946. I live in Thorp, WA, near Ellensburg.

How do I get my home coordinates at Groundspeak to match where I really live?

Accck!

VWBusboys

Edited by VWBusBoys

:rolleyes: When we placed our cache we were told that our home coordinates were over 500 miles from where we put the cache. All the updates that I get are for somewhere in Canada. My zipcode is correct 98946. I live in Thorp, WA, near Ellensburg.

How do I get my home coordinates at Groundspeak to match where I really live?

Accck!

VWBusboys

Here's an easy method I use to find coordinates for almost any location:

1. Go to ACME Mapper.com and enter your address, town, state, zip code (or some combination of those items) and click the Find button.

2. After the image loads, click on the "Satellite" button (top right area of the screen – just like Google Maps) to get an aerial view and then zoom in until you have good detail of your house location.

P.S. If the color satellite images won't zoom in far enough to give you good detail (which is often the case in rural areas) then simply click on the "DOQ" button to get the older (but more accurate) USGS black & white satellite photos and use them instead.

3. Using your left mouse button, click and drag anywhere on the satellite image and move it around until the little crosshairs in the center of the screen are centered on the roof of your house and release the mouse button.

4. The coordinates in the top line of ACME Mapper will revise to show accurate coordinates of the crosshairs, i.e., your house. Use the coordinates to enter as StarBrand noted above.

Is that COOL or what ?! <_<

Edited by BGunner01