Garmin Etrex

My wife and I are new to geocaching and I'm not sure if the Garmin eTrex unit I have will work to start with. Its not a Vista or Legend, Just a plain old Garmin eTrex. Am I asking for trouble using this unit? Do I need to invest in another unit to start with?

The basic yellow eTrex will work fine for geocaching. Since it doesn't display a map it would be helpful to have some decent paper maps of the area.

As BlueDeuce indicated, having a computer cable for it is very useful so you can download cache locations and also for lots of other applications (plotting your tracklog, keeping records of previous trips, etc.). But even if you don't have one for your eTrex, they're quite inexpensive (the eBay store of GPSGeek sells them for under $10).

The basic yellow eTrex will work fine for geocaching. Since it doesn't display a map it would be helpful to have some decent paper maps of the area.

As BlueDeuce indicated, having a computer cable for it is very useful so you can download cache locations and also for lots of other applications (plotting your tracklog, keeping records of previous trips, etc.). But even if you don't have one for your eTrex, they're quite inexpensive (the eBay store of GPSGeek sells them for under $10).

Correct. I meant if it wasn't capable of connecting to a computer you might want to consider upgrading.

I have the cable and it does connect to a PC, Peter you mentions maps... Topographical maps I'm assuming? Any thoughts on other software that might be helpful?

My first 600 caches were found using the little yellow etrex. I used GSAK to organize the caches and to upload them to the etrek. I also used GSAK to load my Microsoft Streets map pushpins of the cache locations.

I've "upgraded" and I've loaned out little yellow to another cacher in need. It was a great little starter unit.