The New Maps On The Cache Page Suck

jimmyreno

I think the real question here is why doesn't anyone from Geocaching.com seem to be involved in this discussion. Could it be that a decision has been made and no matter how bad it was we will just have endure it? The originator of this thread said it all in his title. When will admin figure it out?

Just to weigh in on this controversy, I for one love the new maps in order to quickly show me where the caches are in a new area. I also understand that some people just don't like them. Having the option on our profile page is a great idea that should be a win-win solution.

Another vote for bringing back google maps! the mapquest maps do not work properly on some of my machines (the only map that will load in a session is the first map clicked-on). Neither map is great for driving directions, but my caching experience of last weekend was that the google map was far superior to the mapquest one. With the google map, multiple caches in an area could be seen on one map. I previously was using mapcard to do that.

As to the complains of showing a random selection - I solved that by zooming in. for street level detail, that was necessary anyway.

I do feel for those stuck in dialup heck. But, technology moves forward. An option for dialup to use mapquest or no maps at all would be nice to those folks. Teasing the rest of us with advanced features then recinding them stinks.

Edited by tokencollector

Another vote for bringing back google maps! the mapquest maps do not work properly on some of my machines (the only map that will load in a session is the first map clicked-on). Neither map is great for driving directions, but my caching experience of last weekend was that the google map was far superior to the mapquest one. With the google map, multiple caches in an area could be seen on one map. I previously was using mapcard to do that.

As to the complains of showing a random selection - I solved that by zooming in. for street level detail, that was necessary anyway.

I do feel for those stuck in dialup heck. But, technology moves forward. An option for dialup to use mapquest or no maps at all would be nice to those folks. Teasing the rest of us with advanced features then recinding them stinks.

Dial up is not really the issue. Something makes the Google maps unavalible to certain users. It is not that we necessarily prefer the mapquest maps, but that we can see them instead of a blank page. They are an inferior product, but if they actually worked I could live with them.

The new google maps ROCK! Mapquest is HORRIBLE when it comes to mapping. Obviously this is just my opinion so don't hold it against me. I love the google maps feature because it lets you see all of the caches in the vicinity of the cache you are looking. It is 10 times easier than clicking on each individual cache to see where it is located. BRING GOOGLE MAPS BACK!

Bring back Google!

The Mapquest mapping here for the UK is usually missing the roads unless viewed on the linked mapquest page. Google was fine for locating the area that a cache was in, and I mainly used it for seeing what other caches were in the area.

Many people seem to like MapQuest for getting them to the cache, but correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that what the GPS in thier hand is for?

The new google maps ROCK! Mapquest is HORRIBLE when it comes to mapping. Obviously this is just my opinion so don't hold it against me. I love the google maps feature because it lets you see all of the caches in the vicinity of the cache you are looking. It is 10 times easier than clicking on each individual cache to see where it is located. BRING GOOGLE MAPS BACK!

The problem with google maps as it was set up is it would show 20 random caches and not necessarily the cache you were checking out. If that feature could be corrected google maps would be OK.

Zoom in then. The map is centered on that cache already its just the the zoom level to start with is to high, once you zoom in you'll no longer see 'random' caches and you'll see it cluster around your selected cache and the closest ones.

Once you see that then you can press the page numbers under the list of caches and it spirals out distance wise showing you other caches.

Zoom in then. The map is centered on that cache already its just the the zoom level to start with is to high, once you zoom in you'll no longer see 'random' caches and you'll see it cluster around your selected cache and the closest ones.

Once you see that then you can press the page numbers under the list of caches and it spirals out distance wise showing you other caches.

Raine,

When do you think its possible to choice which map you want to see? I really liked the googlemap and the way you could click trough it.

TIA>

Ahh, thank you, I liked the idea of using them for bookmarking caches along a route. Thanks again

Just adding my bit:

I really liked the Google maps, please bring them back.

In the UK the Mapquest map was pretty useless, so much so that I use the Firefox Adblock extension to prevent them displaying.

Rather than (or as well as) having an option on the profile page to select the map, would it be possible to have a button on the cache page to switch between maps?

I appreciate the effort you're putting into trying to satisfy both points of view, so keep up the good work.

Edited by MartyBartfast
The new maps are painfully slow on dial-up :lol:

Ditto. :lol:

Ssssssssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Heck, they're slow on my non-dial up!!!

Really? What kind of time are you talking about?

With my dial-up, it can take 2 minutes or longer for a map with 20 caches to load. I haven't yet had the patience to see how long it takes a map with hundreds of caches in the list to load.

But I tried some from work (school, "pretty good" server but slow computer) and they loaded in 15-30 seconds at most (the onces with hundreds of caches on the list to the right).

How does your compare?

When you don't like something, you don't like it and you feel that your opinion is what matters and something should be done!

Same with if you like something. I've been reading threads since they started and have stayed out of them because honestly I have no need to try and "change" your mind on a feature.

I've been working on adding an option to the profile page so you can select whether or not you would want to see the Wonderful/Horrible Google map or the static image.

Until I roll that feature out, I'm disabling the Google Map on the Cache Detail page and putting the static one back.

So, I'm sorry to the people who were actually able to use that feature, it will be back soon.

-Raine

Yes, thank you Raine...appreciate your efforts and looking forward to seeing google maps on the cache page... :lol::lol:

I'm sooo glad google maps will be coming back! I didn't have a problem with slow load times. In fact it loads much faster than mapquest!

It took me a bit of playing to figure out all the features & quirks but once I had I loved it! It made planning a caching trip so easy!