Google Maps

I'm sure most have seen the maps on the cache pages now, and I KNOW it's been mentioned in the other thread but I almost missed it...

If you click on the marker in the google map or go to this link, there's a great way of answering questions like "Are there any caches near....."

That is really neat! This has got to be the best addition to GC.com functionality in the last year (although it still doesn't make up for the loss of virtuals ;) )

Fantastic for us stone age paper based cachers as it makes planning caching trips a whole lot easier.

Only downside is that I cant get the address search to recognise UK post codes, seems OK with place names though. It would be handy to have some indication of caches already found (although I suppose that I should be able to remember ...)

Now I'm going to have to upgrade my OS map script to link through to the Google Maps page when clicked ....

I'm sure most have seen the maps on the cache pages now, and I KNOW it's been mentioned in the other thread but I almost missed it...

If you click on the marker in the google map or go to this link, there's a great way of answering questions like "Are there any caches near....."

Sorry to be thick but I wasn't able to get any search results, or even see the cache displayed on this map. I tried with a local cache. How do you find nearby caches with this link?

However, the option of the satellite and hybrid displays are really good.

I'm positive that I am not impressed by them, what we need is topo mapping not street mapping.

Take a look at any cache which is on a large moorland and all you see is GREEN, not useful at all!

It also broke the Greasemonkey script which added OS mapping; which in my eyes gives greater info.

Edited by Moote

That is really neat! This has got to be the best addition to GC.com functionality in the last year (although it still doesn't make up for the loss of virtuals ;) )

Fantastic for us stone age paper based cachers as it makes planning caching trips a whole lot easier.

Only downside is that I cant get the address search to recognise UK post codes, seems OK with place names though. It would be handy to have some indication of caches already found (although I suppose that I should be able to remember ...)

Now I'm going to have to upgrade my OS map script to link through to the Google Maps page when clicked ....

I can't get the address search to produce any results whatsoever! ;)

I'm positive that I am not impressed by them, what we need is topo mapping not street mapping.

Take a look at any cache which is on a large moorland and all you see is GREEN, not useful at all!

It also broke the Greasemonkey script which added OS mapping; which in my eyes gives greater info.

Hmm, there's always one (but why is Moote always the one? ;) ).

By the way - if you prefer the old maps, just click on "Make this page print-friendly (no logs)" and you'll get the old-style map. There is a thread in the main forum if you want to add comments.

HH

The Apollo landing sites, very interesting, especially if you zoom in close.
Laughed my bottom off at that - very funny! :)

I like a good OS 1:50k map, but since the Google maps and sat-images are several thousand times more useful to me than the old grey maps were, I'm more than happy with them. It's never going to be possible for Groundspeak to please everyone with new features, but while they're pleasing the majority, I think they're going the right way.

I can't get the address search to produce any results whatsoever! :)

"tenterden, uk" works for me, although it's obvious they use an infamous gazetteer, which means the results are often over 2km distance (favours being south!) away. That's is unfortunaly probably the best geocoding you will get in the UK at the moment.

By the way its an acknowledged 'feature' that the map often starts too far zoomed in, there are changes afoot to make it customizable. (source the long thread in the Website forum)

Hmm, there's always one (but why is Moote always the one? :) ).

By the way - if you prefer the old maps, just click on "Make this page print-friendly (no logs)" and you'll get the old-style map. There is a thread in the main forum if you want to add comments.

HH

Well they are OK if you are caching just off a road, within feet of the cache, but go that little bit further and they are very poor. I admit the old maps were not very good, but this is just adding more weight to the page loading.

I have never cached using this kind of mapping, I prefer proper Topo mapping, this give you a better initial picture of the area. Also I have noted on google maps that where my parents live is very poorly mapped, with streets missing (Ones that have been there for 100 or more years)

The maps are great if you are a complete berk with technology (like me) and just want to look quickly at an area and see what caches are about etc.

Not everyone has memory map and a zillion other hi tech progs that give them all the bells and whistles, so this allows us plebs more info too!

Well they are OK if you are caching just off a road, within feet of the cache, but go that little bit further and they are very poor. I admit the old maps were not very good, but this is just adding more weight to the page loading.

I have never cached using this kind of mapping, I prefer proper Topo mapping, this give you a better initial picture of the area. Also I have noted on google maps that where my parents live is very poorly mapped, with streets missing (Ones that have been there for 100 or more years)

There's no detail at all on the Isle of Man, but I'm sure that this will be along eventually. I like the interactive aspect to the maps (useful as a browsing/planning tool), so "thumbs up" from me. If I want Topo maps I'll use Memory Map, or set up the OS Map script as mentioned by The Southseakers.

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Google are slowly going round updating the maps. Not so long ago they all used to be the fuzzy low detail except for major towns or cities. But now there are many more areas that have much more detail.

But there are anomolies with this. Have a look at Studland, UK and then head slightly north towards the ferry.

A better one though is Christchurch, UK and have a look at the harbour mouth.

I can't get the address search to produce any results whatsoever! :)

"tenterden, uk" works for me, although it's obvious they use an infamous gazetteer, which means the results are often over 2km distance (favours being south!) away. That's is unfortunaly probably the best geocoding you will get in the UK at the moment.

By the way its an acknowledged 'feature' that the map often starts too far zoomed in, there are changes afoot to make it customizable. (source the long thread in the Website forum)

Thanks for the suggestion.

It works in IE but not in FireFox. Any idea why this is?

It works in IE and Firefox (1.5.0.3) for me?

Maybe upgradeing to the latest firefox will help, (it was automatic on my machine)

Possibly it's even a thing thats just been fixed by TPTB, try a pressing F5?

Also what message do you get, eg do you get the 'The location you entered could not be geocoded...' message or does nothing happen? (does the little twirly thing even appear?)

Edited by barryhunter

Maybe upgradeing to the latest firefox will help, (it was automatic on my machine)

I have 1.5.0.3 and it does not work, but only the search facility on the page reached when clicking on the cache icon does not work. TPTB??

Edited by walkergeoff

I have 1.5.0.3 and it does not work, but only the search facility on the page reached when clicking on the cache icon does not work. TPTB??

Works fine on 1.5.03 here. I saw this on other thread though:

enable java script

- if you use adblock, go on any geocaching.com-cache-description-page and click on "whitelist this whole site" in the adblock options menu

- erase private data (cookies etc.)

In my case, I think I was using the google maps feature on another site before, maybe the browser mixed up some cookies or session ids or anything else. After clearing the cache and cookies and a restart of the browser, it works.

Thanks for the new feature. Especially the thing with displaying all caches in the neighborhood is very useful for planning a cache tour!![/qoute]

Edited by Maingray

Works fine on 1.5.03 here. I saw this on other thread though:

enable java script

- if you use adblock, go on any geocaching.com-cache-description-page and click on "whitelist this whole site" in the adblock options menu

- erase private data (cookies etc.)

In my case, I think I was using the google maps feature on another site before, maybe the browser mixed up some cookies or session ids or anything else. After clearing the cache and cookies and a restart of the browser, it works.

Thanks for the new feature. Especially the thing with displaying all caches in the neighborhood is very useful for planning a cache tour!!

I have javascript enabled for the page. Adblock plus does not have the feature 'whitelist this whole site' and disabling adblock plus does not help.

I did the other thing, of removing cookies etc.

No joy. :)

It does work on Opera though.

Edited by walkergeoff

Okay then, so the flying car was a spoof, but how about the world's largest earwig!...

N48°51.464, E10°12.319 :shocked:

Or the crop circles at 53 31.900N, 1 21.400W. The true (adult) connoisseur of Google Earth may be interested in the Giant Profanity a couple of fields NE of there.

I like it alot better the old maps were lame and did not help much google maps are much better and more detailed too! I will have to agree topo would be nice as well but not in any way unhappy with the change.

Edited to add: I do really miss the old way of taking out the caches you have alread found that was real nice. I can just see it already I will put the coords in my gpsr and head of to the cache and when I find it realize I have been here before....

Edited by Team Jsam

I did notice that something was happening to the maps yesterday, & sometimes it works in Konqueror, & since de-installing the greasemonkey script, it works in Firefox. However, watching the maps reload in Konqueror, you can see the old map load and then disappear, before the Google one fails. Since google maps works fine in the main browser, I think that the current facility is probably flawed, and definitely a waste of bandwidth. I hope it is just WIP!!

I did notice that something was happening to the maps yesterday, & sometimes it works in Konqueror, & since de-installing the greasemonkey script, it works in Firefox. However, watching the maps reload in Konqueror, you can see the old map load and then disappear, before the Google one fails. Since google maps works fine in the main browser, I think that the current facility is probably flawed, and definitely a waste of bandwidth. I hope it is just WIP!!

Not sure, but I guess it's to do with ensuring that the old map is available for the Print Friendly web page. Am I the only one using the new maps for their main purpose, BTW? (in conjunction with bookmarks).

I personally think the Google Maps option is a great thing to have.

Unfortunately I must be really dumb because I don't know how to get into it from within GC.com. (I used the link to look at it in this instance)

I can go to a cache and then look at Google maps but that only show the cache that I am looking at.

Could somebody enlighten me please.

Many Thanks

Darren.