Sc Caching With Cell Phone

llatnek

Just wondering which carrier service gets the best coverage throughout South Carolina. My girlfriend wants me to take a cell phone when caching, but it wouldn't be much good if I can't get reception throughout the entire state. Any tips or stories out there?

We have Verizon with no roaming charges, etc...we get good coverage just about everywhere. The one place we didn't have coverage was over where we had the Cedar Creek Cleanup. And then there are some dead spots in the boon docks. I think that is expected with just about any cell phone.

Okay, I must ask; is the cellphone requirement issued by your girlfriend because of her concern for your safety?

...or is it she's checking up on you? :ph34r:

:P

J/K

Seriously, if you are prone to getting in serious situations alone then a cellphone is not an answer. You might want to look into a PLB. Pricey, but will work anywhere above ground and outside.

Okay, I must ask; is the cellphone requirement issued by your girlfriend because of her concern for your safety?

...or is it she's checking up on you? :)

J/K

Seriously, if you are prone to getting in serious situations alone then a cellphone is not an answer. You might want to look into a PLB. Pricey, but will work anywhere above ground and outside.

She says for safety, and I can agree with that. I must admit that the checking-up part occured to me too. It would also make it easier to see just how much caching time I have left on a particular day. I might be able to take the long way home. :ph34r:

PLB = Personal Life Bodyguard ???

PLB: Personal Locater Beacon

Short generic description: Push the button and it sends a signal to a satellite. Ground crews get the signal and checks a list of phone numbers making sure it is a valid signal. (they try to track you down via phone first to prevent false alarms.) They then send a rescue team to the site of the beacon.

Short short description: Wilderness 911

There's plenty of stuff out there on how it works in better detail that above.

Just wondering which carrier service gets the best coverage throughout South Carolina. My girlfriend wants me to take a cell phone when caching, but it wouldn't be much good if I can't get reception throughout the entire state. Any tips or stories out there?

I like the Suncom service I get through work, but they have a lot of dead spots - especially Eastover. I manage the 75+ cell phone program for my work. Our Suncom rep says the antennas on the Nokia phones are more sensative that Motorola. That seems accurate from our experience.

Again with the imaginary girlfriend?!?!?! :P

Seriously, I would have to go with Verizon for the best coverage of the upstate at least. I used it for most of the time I contracted for the Sat. TV industry and rarely lost a signal.

X

I lost the battle with the "imaginary girlfriend." We got a Cingular family plan because her "imaginary daughter's" friends have that service. "EVERYBODY has Cingular" <---(supply your own imaginary teenager voice here)

SF, Llatnek