Displaying Your Coins

Doc-Dean

I've reached the point where I want, no I need to get some better type of organization to my growing coin collection.

What are some of the ways that everyone shows off their coins?

What is the perfect display book, case or method??

Let's see what you got!

I'm currently using small binders for 60 coins that have permanently attached pages. I've almost filled one and I have started a second for signature items.

I'm going to have to try something different soon though... probably go to a 3 ring binder with removable pages. But for $5.95 each, they are a good start.

I have mine in a Case It double three-ring binder. It has a carry handle and if needed a removable shoulder strap.

I bought some 2"x2" and 2.5"x2.5" coin flips and some three-ring binder pages with 2x2 and and some with 2.5x2.5 pockets on them. I got them from an online coin collector supply site (Brent-Krueger).

So far it's worked out well for me.

I have just started using a 3 ring Pro Platinum vinyl binder.

I use baseball trading card pages with the coins in clear coin flips.

9 coins per page.

It also has a file folder,note pad and a place for storage.

I have about 100+ coins in it right now and it works great for me.

I am going to have to start another soon.

Another great idea I just seen was using the black spongy foam and cutting it the size of a baseball card then cutting the coin center out.

Looks awesome and will probably end up doing mine that way too.

140642241_cbbb074cfb.jpg

140642242_305c3d8523.jpg

140642243_aa474d733d.jpg

140642244_441a8d2067.jpg

Where can you get the craft foam and supplies to make the book?

I have no coin-stores near me, so I need some internet hints.

Doc,

Check out the Craft store over at Page Field By Toys R Us.. They have some of the foam and the cutting tools.. The Godfather got our sleeves at the book store right next to the Craft store..

I show off my goods in my loincloth for $1.00 bills..... :rolleyes:<_<

I actually keep my coins in coin racks at home so they are open and I can fondle them at my leisure (yes, I said "fondle"). I just ordered a glass front rack that holds about 50 coins off eBay so I can move my most precious ones into that.

I've posted pics in the past of the coin racks, so I'll see if I can find them.

They are gorgeous handmade racks made of Burl done by our very own WorkerOfWood.

Display.jpg

This method has worked well for me. I try to do State & Countries in one and Personal & Event, ect in another.

The very first coin I ever saw was found in a cache. It was Nurse Daves geocoin. This started me down the road to the poor house! I don't even want to think about what $'s is in those folders!

I'm using the 6mm foam too. really happy with it.

lets see if these pics are sized ok..

snip

----

the tools..

snip

----

traders held in place with scraps..

snip

No problem cutting with the xacto knife?

Not as long as I only have to cut once. very hard to trim after the circle is cut. some practice and I usually get em just right now. tighter is better than loose.

Where can you get the craft foam and supplies to make the book?

I have no coin-stores near me, so I need some internet hints.

A search of "6mm foam sheet" did get results. I found mine locally at Joanns Crafts for $1.50 each. 10 coin holders per sheet. The compass at Walgrrens for about a buck. Exacto, cutting board at craft store for around $8-9 IIRC. 3 ring Pro Platinum vinyl binder at Mal wart (ick I know, only place that had em) for around $10. Dividers and card holders most shopping stores.

Edited by mudsneaker

if you have Michaels craft stores near you they sell the foam. its called flexifoam i believe. its something like .99 cents a big sheet. wal-mart also sells it and its about 1/3 the size for .49 cents. a good binder and the baseball card pages are available almost everywhere now days.

Jake of team AI has a link on his info page with details on how to make them..

The Michaels here only had 2mm thick foam sheets. For that matter, no place in Olympia I checked had 6mm except Joanns. 6 stops and 1/4 tank of gas to figure that out.*bonk* I should have called.

Didnt think 2mm was going to be enough to hold the coins. As it is even with the 6mm if the hole isnt snug enough they still slip up and down a bit. But as long as they aren't getting loose from the holes I'm ok with that.

The dividers help keep the sheets flat when flipping through the book and keep coin faces from clinking on each other.

Working in conjunction with Groundspeak, I've devised a way to show the world my collection. It's a fairly simple process, heres how it works....

When I receive a new coin, I activate it and put it into a leather pouch in my swagbag. While I'm out caching I drop them, one at a time, into caches I visit. When I get home I log them into the cache electronically. From that point, I get complimentary emails as the coin is admired and passed to other cachers. Groundspeak also places something called an "icon" on my profile page showing which coins I own. They also place an "icon" in the found column of cachers that have admired my coins.

Pretty sweet deal!

Working in conjunction with Groundspeak, I've devised a way to show the world my collection. It's a fairly simple process, heres how it works....

When I receive a new coin, I activate it and put it into a leather pouch in my swagbag. While I'm out caching I drop them, one at a time, into caches I visit. When I get home I log them into the cache electronically. From that point, I get complimentary emails as the coin is admired and passed to other cachers. Groundspeak also places something called an "icon" on my profile page showing which coins I own. They also place an "icon" in the found column of cachers that have admired my coins.

Pretty sweet deal!

Well... that shows me what your icon collection looks like, but not the actual coin.

If you want to see my collection online, you can go to my cointracking link in my sig. In the top right hand corner of the page there is a link that will let you view my collection as a display case. I'd post a link to that part of my collection, but as far as I can tell, that's not a function yet.

Well... that shows me what your icon collection looks like, but not the actual coin.

Jake - I think you missed the humor and sarcasm here - Bad Andy drops his coins in caches. I know it's unheard of these days, but it does happen. <_<

I caught the sarcasm. My point was the discussion is about displaying coins, not icons. I have links to sites on my reference page that point to both collection pages and icon pages.

Finally remembered to take a picture of the new display we built over the weekend. Just a chunk of walnut (started out as firewood) that we squared up and cut a series of ridges in. We'll experiment a bit more on another design coming up soon. :anibad:

angleview.jpg

sideview.jpg

frontview.jpg

Ooooooo...gonna try that one as well, thanks f-&-h!!!

I wonder how many people pass these along when they find them. I'm a newbie to geocaching (less than a week) but I'm ging to an event next week and plan on buying 2 of the commemorative coins so I can keep one and release the other. Is this a bad idea? Will someone just keep it the first chance they get? Should I just by a tracker tag instead and attach it to something like a hot wheels car?

I wonder how many people pass these along when they find them. I'm a newbie to geocaching (less than a week) but I'm ging to an event next week and plan on buying 2 of the commemorative coins so I can keep one and release the other. Is this a bad idea? Will someone just keep it the first chance they get? Should I just by a tracker tag instead and attach it to something like a hot wheels car?

Since this is an old thread dealing with 'displaying your coins' ... you may not get many responses, nor many people reading your question.

You should consider starting your own thread with a title that more accurately describes your question.

Whether you are releasing coins or trackable tags, the most widely offered response to your question is ... 'do not release anything into the wild that you are not willing to lose'. Coins seem to disappear more often than other trackables. Some will disappear forever from the first cache... while others may travel for years and thousands of miles.

Being very new to geocaching you may want to stick with a (cheaper) tag type release first, then spend some time researching and watching caches and other cacher's trackables. Take your time... geocaching will be around a while ... :laughing: ... Releasing coins can get very costly and there are alternatives ... spend some time reading the forums and checking out the options.

Oh yeah ... welcome to geocaching ... :grin: