Rookie In Serious Need Of Help

JannyLynn

Well I just bought my first GPS for recreational purposes other than geocaching BUT it seems something that is right up my alley and want to get at. I bought a Magellan explorist 210 and installed the software Magellan Geocache Manager, I can manage to get the geocache points on to my GPS but cant figure out how to get my goto function to direct me to the geocache point... I could really use some guidance from a pro...

the goto function doesnt necessarily get you to the coordinates. Once you have a goto on your gps you can use the compass screen to help point the way. The goto gives you info. like how far it is to the cache and draws a straight line from the point where you initiated the goto and the cache.

You can also "upgrade" your eX 210 by adding MapSend DirectRoute North America ($99 or less). This gives you detailed maps that you can customize for your location. Depending on your area, you can load a detailed map of your favorite caching site, add your geocaches, and then the 210 will route you to the nearest cache. Then you can switch from the "route" to a point-to-point and follow the map or compass to the cache...

I like the compass as I approach the site. Gives me the direction and distance.

More general tips, if you need them:

1. Use the compass screen versus the map screen. Tells you where to go and how far left to go.

2. Rather than trying to get to the 0 point on your GPSr (basically standing on top of the cache) stop about 50 feet from the expected location. Then stop looking at your GPS and start looking at your location. Look for the obvious clues to the cache location. Piles of sticks, rocks, dead hollow tree, or stump in plain view. Don't forget to look at the size of the cache you are looking for. Nothing like thinking you are hunting a regular sized cache, when it is actually a micro-cache.

3. Start out with the easiest dificulty caches (D/T). So go for the 1/1 to 2/2 caches first.

4. Have fun and enjoy the great weather

Well I just bought my first GPS for recreational purposes other than geocaching BUT it seems something that is right up my alley and want to get at. I bought a Magellan explorist 210 and installed the software Magellan Geocache Manager, I can manage to get the geocache points on to my GPS but cant figure out how to get my goto function to direct me to the geocache point... I could really use some guidance from a pro...

I have the magellan explorist 400 with mapsend topo canada, I'm not sure what detailed maps the 210 is able to use. This is what I do, I load in the geocache that I want to find, then hit MARK and mark the cache spot, and depending on of far I have to go, I zoom out till I can see my location, and the location of the geocache. The closer I get to the cache, the more I zoom in so I can see more detail. I'm not sure how close the 210 will get you to the cache, mine usually gets me within a few feet, when the numbers match up. When you get to the place you marked for the cache location, switch your GPS so you're looking at the number reading for the location. (this is where it helps to have the location reading for the cache written down on paper, and to have a magnetic compass) Follow your compass and location reading on GPS, till the numbers match up. When the numbers match up, and stay matched (GPS can take abit to settle depending on overhead cover) Then stop looking at your GPS and look around the area. I never have pressed the GOTO button on my GPS. I'm not a pro, but it seems to work pretty easy for me. (don't hold a magnetic compass and GPS too close together, try to hold compass as far from GPS to get a good reading of the direction)