Those Abbreveations

Hey we recently purchased Geocaching for Dummies but still haven't opened it...

I know some people have been on the forums for a long time and people new to caching ask the same questions over and over so it gets tiring for the experienced cachers. We were all new to geocaching at one time and looked to those more experienced on the forums to ask questions. I usually lurk but I am always grateful to the responses I've received when I ask questions. I once asked a similar question on an abbreviation and got the answers I needed plus web pages to learn about the abbreviations. So I'll help out Judy and her first time post:

Took Nothing Left Nothing

Took Nothing Left Nothing Signed Log

Thanks For The Cache

Thanks For The Hunt (or Hide)

You know those Abbrvs. that you see on logs, what do they stand for. Ones like:

TNLN

TNLNSL

TFTC

TFTH

and all of the others?

I'm still trying to figure out TOTT. I see it in logs around here and I think it is some sort of reaching or grabbing device. Anybody know that one?

I'm still trying to figure out TOTT. I see it in logs around here and I think it is some sort of reaching or grabbing device. Anybody know that one?

Tool(s) Of The Trade

They're telling you that you may need a tool of some type.

Once I heard it referring to Top Of The Tree...

Team Maccabee

Tool(s) Of The Trade

They're telling you that you may need a tool of some type.

Once I heard it referring to Top Of The Tree...

Team Maccabee

Ground Zero - aka - the point at which your GPS tells you that you are zero feet from the cache location. Not necessarily where the cache is but where your GPS says the coordinates are (right at that moment anyway).

I've seen GZ a few times. Still too new to know what that one means.....

Can someone please spell it out for me? Thanks.

It stands for Geo Zombies, a term that refers to those that stumble around like a zombie following the arrow on their GPSr. :unsure:

Okay, really, it's Ground Zero.

lol-That's cute. :rolleyes:

Every now and then I think people get carried away with abbreviations, posting stuff like FBHBTMOQASS1 or TOCSOFGASC. Although, it just may be a convenient way to post a thoughtful lengthy log in a nano log book.

We took the dog with us for this cache and hunted around the guardrail for some time before the cache was located. We enjoyed the view and trip to this parking lot behind the strip mall. Thank you for placing this cache here!

becomes WTTDWUFTCAHATGFSTBTCWL. WETVATTTPLBTSM. TYFPTCH!

A log the cache owner can truely appreciate and prove that micros are not just about the numbers.

Hey we recently purchased Geocaching for Dummies but still haven't opened it...

I know some people have been on the forums for a long time and people new to caching ask the same questions over and over so it gets tiring for the experienced cachers. We were all new to geocaching at one time and looked to those more experienced on the forums to ask questions. <snip>

That may be true, but that's also the point of the FAQ in the getting started forum. I know the FAQ isn't a new concept, but why do so many people refuse to look there first?