A Free, But Yet Activated, Geocoin? Why?

Team PEZ

With all due respect to many people out there that practice this, I am curious. Why would you make a trade/sell/give away a coin that you have already activated in your name and not be willing to part with adoption to the receiver?

The only reason why I've activated a coin before I throw it in a raffle/cache, it is to:

a) try and prevent someone from grabbing said coin and placing it in their own personal collection for and

b ) to see who grabs it.

I then send them an email asking them if they want to adopt it from me, so they will be the owner. Never do I activate a coin before a trade/sell/give away and not allow someone to adopt it.

Perhaps I am overlooking the obvious answer.

Thanks!

-TP

Edited by Team PEZ

I also had a similar question. I have bought a few coins of which some I have purchased duplicates for trades, FTF prizes, gifts. If I do not intend to keep the coin as part of my collection or to release it / let it travel do I activate the coin or at least get the activation code for the coin and then give it as a gift/FTF/trade? Or do I leave it unactivated (recipient would have to find the activation code. Just wondering about common practices

As far as giving away a coin. You could get the activation code and put into the sleeve with the coin as some people do when they send them to you. That is an option so they don't have to go looking all over to find the code.

Some might just like to see where their coins actually go. Like Moun10bike there are rules behind the trade/gift or however you arrived at it. If the rules are broken then you actually loose the coin in a sense as it gets deactivated. I have a TB that was given to me that I use to track my journey across america that is owned by another. They said I could keep it or send it out, do with as I saw fit.

Just a thought about how things go.

I also had a similar question. I have bought a few coins of which some I have purchased duplicates for trades, FTF prizes, gifts. If I do not intend to keep the coin as part of my collection or to release it / let it travel do I activate the coin or at least get the activation code for the coin and then give it as a gift/FTF/trade? Or do I leave it unactivated (recipient would have to find the activation code. Just wondering about common practices

My opinion is activate 'everything' before you lose the activation code.

When you give/sell/trade them just let the new owner adopt the coin as the owner and the activation transfers to them and they can edit the page just as if they activated it themselves. Worked great for the 35+ coins that I used to have and later changed my mind and sold when the coin craze got too crazy for me.

I activate all of my coins because they are mine. I had them minted and paid for them all. I made the coins to be placed in caches or given away. I have also traded for a few choice coins. I have never sold any of my coins so that is the only way to get one.

Edited by ajayhawkfan

When you give/sell/trade them just let the new owner adopt the coin as the owner and the activation transfers to them and they can edit the page just as if they activated it themselves. Worked great for the 35+ coins that I used to have and later changed my mind and sold when the coin craze got too crazy for me.

I hear what you are saying, but the OP said "and not be willing to part with adoption to the receiver?"

Serious question, are people actually paying money for a coin just to log it but not own it?

The nice thing to do is to get the activation code but not activate the coin. Then when you give it out for whever reason they have what they need to activate it if they choose or pass it on if they choose.

The only time I would trade for an activated coin is if it was all there was to be had. Activating is 100% the choice of the coin owner but the trader/buyer should be notified. The finder and gift reciever should just say thanks.

As a buyer/trader I'd be dissapointed to find that the coin was activated. Come to think of it...I never looked at the ones that I did trade for...

Serious question, are people actually paying money for a coin just to log it but not own it?

I gave a coin to MOGA that ended up on ebay. It ended up going for $68. So your answer is yes.

Ok again, sorry if I don't understand.

They paid to log it, but not own it? Wow.

Unfortuantely I'm more aghast than surprised.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I gave a coin to MOGA that ended up on ebay. It ended up going for $68. So your answer is yes.

They logged it and have it in their possesion. Why be "aghast"?

They logged it and have it in their possesion. Why be "aghast"?

Seriously? You want to pay money to log a traveler?

I'm aghast out of pity, nothing else.

I view it that if I have given something of value for a coin, (ie traded or purchased outright) then I expect to receive all rights to the coin, including adoption and tracking capability. If I am not being granted all rights then I should be advised upfront so I can make the decision of whether or not I wish to trade for or buy the coin. Any person who does not advise you upfront of the status of the coin and that it has restrictions for the new owner is not ethical. This is not the kind of person I would deal with in the future and I would advise other person of this situation.

Dan

I view it that if I have given something of value for a coin, (ie traded or purchased outright) then I expect to receive all rights to the coin, including adoption and tracking capability. If I am not being granted all rights then I should be advised upfront so I can make the decision of whether or not I wish to trade for or buy the coin. Any person who does not advise you upfront of the status of the coin and that it has restrictions for the new owner is not ethical. This is not the kind of person I would deal with in the future and I would advise other person of this situation.

Dan

If you trade with me there are no suprises. (If you look at the trading thread, you will see it noted.) If I was contacted out of the blue for a trade, I will state it in the emails so there is NO suprise. I don't want anyone unhappy with any trade. In my opinion, no geocoin is worth upsetting someone.

Edited by ajayhawkfan

The FREE activated coin that I am giving away as part of my sale can be adopted if the person getting the coin wants to adopt it. I am doing this giveaway as part of a way to send out some of my coins all around, but if that person choses to place the coin into a cache after they get it, I hope they will drill a hole in it or something to keep it from being picked up and kept by someone else.