Ooh - New Maps On Cache Pages!

I noticed them too.

But I stil tend to open Ordanance Survey Get-a-map and paste the co-ordinates in the search window. If you close the gap between the two letters and make it a 8 digit rather than 10 digit reference ie from British Grid: ST 92337 52027 to ST92335202, OS will find it and present you with a nice map ;-)

Discovered these earlier today, much nicer than the rather vague maps we had before. Haven't been able to zoom though, but thats probably just the new Opera Beta being silly. Also, like BareClawz I tend to grab an OS map, although I just click the streetmaps link for a 1:50k since I'm a little lazy <_<

I noticed them too.

But I stil tend to open Ordanance Survey Get-a-map and paste the co-ordinates in the search window. If you close the gap between the two letters and make it a 8 digit rather than 10 digit reference ie from British Grid: ST 92337 52027 to ST92335202, OS will find it and present you with a nice map ;-)

I downloaded the Geocaching layer onto Google Earth and it presents very much like the new maps. But nothing beats the co-ords, a ruler and a pencil with a trusty OS map if you really want to get back to basics! <_<

Gralorn wrote:

I had Firefox, now I have nothing at all ! How can I rectify?

Unless and until the Firefox script gets adapted, just disable it to see the new maps. Click on Tools, then Manage User Scripts, then highlight UK Geocaching Map Substituter and uncheck the Enable box at the bottom.

Personally I dont like them... The others were a good quick glance to see what area the cache is in... now I have to spend time zooming out go get the same information !

Ah well at least the streetmap link still works !

Also if the rest of the country is the same as the Harrogate Area, low level satelite maps are not availiable so that function is therefore useless !

Most improvements lately have been good, but this one 0 out of 10 ! Thanks !

Fantastic! Adding caches to a bookmark list by viewing them on a map is a superb new feature. You can now easily set up a bookmark list of caches along a route, for instance, which allows you to extract a pocket query of just the caches you want. This new map works amazingly well at first try, and has a lot more functionality than the old version.

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Is this me at fault OR -more likely- something for Teasel, Deego and/or BarryHunter to do?

It is something the G:UK site needs to address, shouldn't be too difficult, (he says fingers crossed)

Edit: Fixed!

Also I like the little interface you get by clicking the marker, much more useful than just a map on the cache page!

Edited by barryhunter

Last night I had these maps, and thought they were a great improvement - but this morning they've disappeared.

Getting the message as above:

"The Google Maps API key used on this web site was reistered for a differant web site. You can generate a new key for this web site at http://www.google.com/api/maps/. "

And now getting the old style maps.

Any ideas you clever people out there.

This is a great change from our point of view. Up till now we haven't had access to GoogleEarth at all, because we still use Windows 98, and it won't work. Via the website, it works beautifully.

(Although, thinking about it, may Google Earth and Google Maps are two separate things....I don't know)

Edited by The Odd Socks

To answer HH's query, the OS map script simply supplies an OS map replacement for the old GC map, it doesn't have any of the funky user interaction capabilities of the Google map.

If you want to use both, then you can turn off Greasemonkey temporarily my clicking on the monkey face in the status bar at the bottom of the screen, then refresh your web page and the Google map will be visible...

I noticed them too.

Why bother doing all that when you can click the link which says "street map" and that will take you to a page which uses OS maps anyway

I noticed them too.

Why bother doing all that when you can click the link which says "street map" and that will take you to a page which uses OS maps anyway

Because Get-a-Map allows you to zoom in and get 1:25,000 mapping, where as streetmap will only do 1:50,000 mapping. Plus Get-a-map has a really high resolution printing (without banners).

Btw if you have Firefox (and installed Greasemonkey), then you can install Lordelph's Geocaching OS Linker (right click), so you can open Get-a-map with just one click, see the main thread for more info.