New Google Map Feature

Jeremy

can the old mapping system go away and go straight to google? I am getting carpel tunnel already geesh..

I like :o the new Google map but the old map still has some life in it as it is quicker to download. I STILL would like the ability to suppress my found caches when I am searching using both mapping programs. If I could only see the icons of those caches I have not found, I would be much happier. ;)

Bob

Are you looking to add the waypoint to the list on the right?

This would be very helpful to go paperless. I take my BB with me and can key in waypoints to bring up information. Right now I have to print out multiple pages to show waypoints at the top. With the change I could print 1 page with up to 20 waypoints.

I have a couple of suggestions for google maps, some are repeats of earlier posts.

1.) The google map has got to suppress found caches. I need to know areas where I still have caches to hit without the confusion of what I've already found.

2.) Google maps should be available when previewing a pocket query. I use the pocket queries to download info to my palm and gps. However, I want a visual cue as to where the caches are and which ones can be grouped together.

3.) Once you've clicked on a cache listing on the google map (column right of map) and get the information above the map, there seems to be no way to turn it back off. Since it takes up important real estate, I'd like to be able to collapse it when finished.

The main thing for me is 1. Not having the ability to remove found caches is a real hindrance. The google map is a big improvement over the old one, but it still needs a few enhancements to make it really usable.

Stcymcc

I have a couple of suggestions for google maps, some are repeats of earlier posts.

1.) The google map has got to suppress found caches. I need to know areas where I still have caches to hit without the confusion of what I've already found.

Something that is currently in the works.

2.) Google maps should be available when previewing a pocket query. I use the pocket queries to download info to my palm and gps. However, I want a visual cue as to where the caches are and which ones can be grouped together.

There is a preview feature for viewing in Google maps. Its right next to the normal Preview icon.

3.) Once you've clicked on a cache listing on the google map (column right of map) and get the information above the map, there seems to be no way to turn it back off. Since it takes up important real estate, I'd like to be able to collapse it when finished.

I'll look into this and see what I can do.

-Raine

I've been trying to create a bookmark using the google map feature, and have had some trouble.

When I highlight a list of caches I want to save - then go to view my bookmark list, it doesn't show all the ones I've selected. For example I may have selected 20, but then only 7 or 9 will show up when I go the my bookmark list.

Any ideas on what I can do to get a more accurate list?

Thanks- girlzgo

I have noticed the problem with creating bookmarks with Google Maps too. The feature is very handy, but unreliable at present. Hopefully it will improve.

I find that like the previous user, bookmarks selected don't always make it to the bookmark list. I've even seen items dissapear from the bookmark list while trying to add more. Also, when you move to a different area of the map, the indiction that caches are already bookmarked also seems unreliable. Could these be browsers problems? I'm using Firefox.

Additionally, like most others, apart from getting the bugs ironed out, the most useful thing would be for found caches to be filtered out. Rgds Steve

I have noticed the problem with creating bookmarks with Google Maps too. The feature is very handy, but unreliable at present. Hopefully it will improve.

I find that like the previous user, bookmarks selected don't always make it to the bookmark list. I've even seen items dissapear from the bookmark list while trying to add more. Also, when you move to a different area of the map, the indiction that caches are already bookmarked also seems unreliable. Could these be browsers problems? I'm using Firefox.

Additionally, like most others, apart from getting the bugs ironed out, the most useful thing would be for found caches to be filtered out. Rgds Steve

I started this request for filtering out found caches several months ago on a couple other forums also. The map s on both original and Google are very good (other then a few bugs and Google slow loading), but the clutter of "found" caches continues to be annoying! The ability to suppress "found caches" would be a very nice touch!

KOC

RWSHERLOCK

Since we have removing "found" caches on the wish list, can we add the "ignore" to the list of caches to remove from the map as well? I have my found caches and the ones that I have placed via my team name alond with caches found under my team name in the ignore list. The only way to see which caches I haven't found via personally or with team mates is to create the pocket query with those settings and then import them into the mapping program and then see what I have left to find. It would make it a "whole lot" easier if I could do this with the google maps. Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents! :)

Can we please please please have an option to use the old maps instead of the new Google maps?

a ) They load SOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOWLY on our dialup connection, it drives us insane.

b ) Can't show archived caches, which we sometimes want to see.

c ) Can't rid ourselves of found caches.

d ) Can't rid ourselves of our own caches.

e ) Can't see more than the cache name for more than one cache at a time on the page.

f ) Can't get it to print properly.

g ) Can't one-click directly to the cache's webpage. (see above about loading soooooo slooooooooowly)

<_<

Edited by chamois-shimi & special K

Can we please please please have an option to use the old maps instead of the new Google maps?

a ) They load SOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOWLY on our dialup connection, it drives us insane.

b ) Can't show archived caches, which we sometimes want to see.

c ) Can't rid ourselves of found caches.

d ) Can't rid ourselves of our own caches.

e ) Can't see more than the cache name for more than one cache at a time on the page.

f ) Can't get it to print properly.

g ) Can't one-click directly to the cache's webpage. (see above about loading soooooo slooooooooowly)

<_<

I agree with chamois-shimi & special K, as I too, have twisted copper connections. Again, my main concern is getting rid of found caches, but other points are well taken.

Sherlock

I also agree. I am not too savvy with this computer stuff. I soley use those maps to plan out trips. I can not sort out caches. For instance, I can not bring up just traditional, or just multi, or just virtual...etc.

Then when I move from side to side it does not update. For instance I will start out in Connecticut scroll up into Massachusettes, only to find out the caches in Connecticut are still listed.

The new maps are impossible. Options would be great...if there is a vote...put me on the old map side.

Please give us back old functionality!

I´m missing maps with lists of caches which i didn't found! It´s very hard now to get overview over these caches and to plan and print out next tour in a specific area.

Ok, i can use PQ and lots of tools/programs/convertors etc.. but i like to do this with the website at least as it was possible before.

Or, isn't it possible to add another GoogleEarth KML which doesn`t show own founds? This would be also a good solution (not only) for me.

Edited by Koblenzer

The Google Maps mechanism is awesome. Really speeds our cache selection process. Kudos to Raine for the effort invested!

One relatively minor quirk we've noticed is that when there is more than one page (20+) hits on a map area, the "Found" info doesn't get populated when you switch pages. It's correct for the first page of a view, but absent on secondary pages, and even gone if you come back to the first page.

Still, a very useful facility.

Edited by TheZigs

Is there any chance you can add the link on google maps for regular maps like you did for the regular maps to google maps.

Ditto!! We would LOVE that.

Just today I was trying to figure out how to find an archived cache that used to be near one of my current caches - and without know who's placed it or found it, it's utterly impossible. It certainly slows down the 'cleaning up geotrash' (ie, cache leftovers) process considerably! :P

Great new feature. I was never very happy with the caches along a route feature. I think this gives more control. I would like to see the difficulty rating in the listing on the side.

PROBLEM: When I add one of the listed caches to a bookmark list the total number of caches in the list increments but the listing doesn't seem to appear in the list. Is there some sort of built-in delay?

I am not sure if others have already encountered this, but here goes. I love the new mapping features, BUT (and it's a big but) whenever I relocate the map to a new area, it seems to take forever to "locate caches" and does something to eliminate my wireless connection to the router (I think it resets some variable, but have not traced it out yet). The only way I can fix it after that is to do a cold boot on the cable modem and router. I am not running anything exotic (Windows XP and IE). Is there an easy fix?

If you are losing your wireless connection its something other than a page on the internet. Thats not normally something that is affected by pages on the internet.

I think it is somehow breaking the softlink between my cablemodem and my web brouser. The same thing happens when plugged in (so it apparently is not the wireless).

didn't want to start a new thread so this seemed as good as place as any to find some help...

Question:

When I'm on "My account details" page under search options I click on (filter out finds) it does that just fine I get a nice list of unfound caches. When I click "map it" the google map shows me ALL caches :o I don't want that I only want to view on the map caches I have not found. What am I doing wrong is there a way to visualize only the caches I have not found?

thanks in advance for any help

Pepper

didn't want to start a new thread so this seemed as good as place as any to find some help...

Question:

When I'm on "My account details" page under search options I click on (filter out finds) it does that just fine I get a nice list of unfound caches. When I click "map it" the google map shows me ALL caches :o I don't want that I only want to view on the map caches I have not found. What am I doing wrong is there a way to visualize only the caches I have not found?

Pepper

This is exactly why I started this and another string. When viewing the map AND viewing the list, we want the option of NOT seeing the caches we have found. View JUST the non-found caches! :o

Thanks

Bob

Question:

Pepper

This is exactly why I started this and another string. When viewing the map AND viewing the list, we want the option of NOT seeing the caches we have found. View JUST the non-found caches! :o

Thanks

Bob

PS: Make the request both for Google Maps and for the original geocache map program which I still like.

Two new Google Map features have been added. This is the place to discuss the new features. I'll follow up with a larger announcement in the announcements section of the forums.

When I enter a waypoint search in Google Earth I never see the pin. I am constantly told that I have exceeded my usage for the day even though I have not used it at all. Is it possible that someone else is using my account? This has been happening almost every day for the past week.\Thanks, Ron...

hi,

while using the site last night to plan our route we noticed that the google maps were different,the cache symbols on the map showed what kind of cache each one was,the cache legend on the right allowed us to check the specific type of cache(s) we were looking for and the list of caches in area came up in a blue box in the middle of the map instead of listed on the right.It seemed like things moved along A LOT faster ! The map "filled in" A LOT faster as we dragged it from place to place ! It was awesome ! Will that "setup" be back or are things going back to the old way ? thanks :grin:

I apologize if this has already been touched upon before, but I don't visit the forums very often. I have question I've been wondering for a while and nobody knew the answer.

Why is Google maps used for most of the site, but when I make a listing printable with "simple" it gives a Yahoo map. I would think it is easier and simpler to use one or the other through the entire site.

Just an FYI - Adblock in Firefox sees the cache list on the search page as an Ad and blanks it out.

Thanks

Mike

;) Is there a work around for this? I think this is what has happened to my maps on the "printpreview/print page. I really used this "map" out in the field to help get me headed in the right direction on the right trail.

Clodbuster 2

Just an FYI - Adblock in Firefox sees the cache list on the search page as an Ad and blanks it out.

Thanks

Mike

:blink: Is there a work around for this? I think this is what has happened to my maps on the "printpreview/print page. I really used this "map" out in the field to help get me headed in the right direction on the right trail.

Clodbuster 2

AdBlock will show you what it's blocking on a page/site. Just make a rule for it to ignore that page (or site).

Thanks

Mike

:blink: Is there a work around for this? I think this is what has happened to my maps on the "printpreview/print page. I really used this "map" out in the field to help get me headed in the right direction on the right trail.

Clodbuster 2

I'm using adblock and it doesn't block me.

check your custom filters.