New Google Map Feature

Jeremy

I loved the new Google Map features with several caches listed, but what happened to it? When I go to Google maps (through a cache) there is a fatal error and I am booted off the internet. Will this be fixed soon? I already miss the new map features.

Raine listed a link in one of the posts above but it takes you to Seattle. When I put my zip in, the map has grayed out sections and tells me to zoom out. I never got it to work. Hopefully they will be back soon as they worked fine for me when they were on cache pages.

I loved the new Google Map features with several caches listed, but what happened to it? When I go to Google maps (through a cache) there is a fatal error and I am booted off the internet. Will this be fixed soon? I already miss the new map features.

the link is

www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.aspx?lat=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&lon=yyyyyyyyyyyyy

change xxxxxxxxxxxxx and yyyyyyyyy to correct coords - note that western and southern hemisphere begins with - (minus) sign.

eg.

www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.aspx?lat=50.07778&lon=14.42997

the link is

www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.aspx?lat=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&lon=yyyyyyyyyyyyy

change xxxxxxxxxxxxx and yyyyyyyyy to correct coords - note that western and southern hemisphere begins with - (minus) sign.

eg.

www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.aspx?lat=50.07778&lon=14.42997

I also found that on any cache page you can click the geocaching.com maps link and at the top of that page it has a 'Google maps beta' link. Then the google maps work like they use to.

I tried out this new feature and loved it...but today I got an error message. I was browsing the site not realizing I wasn't logged in. When I logged in, I immediately got this system error message:

The Google Maps API key used on this web site was registered for a different web site. You can generate a new key for this web site at http://www.google.com/apis/maps.

I clicked OK and proceeded. The maps still seem to work fine, but I thought this was an odd error.

I tried out this new feature and loved it...but today I got an error message. I was browsing the site not realizing I wasn't logged in. When I logged in, I immediately got this system error message:

The Google Maps API key used on this web site was registered for a different web site. You can generate a new key for this web site at http://www.google.com/apis/maps.

I clicked OK and proceeded. The maps still seem to work fine, but I thought this was an odd error.

Even though I occasionally got this error message as well (usually if I opened a cache link from an email I got from a cache on my watchlist), I really liked the Google maps over the Mapquest ones. I didn't realize until today that they have been gone for a little bit; I was going to do my own Forum discussion on it until I noticed it here (though I check the site almost every day, haven't really been active on it in over a week; was out of town last weekend without Internet access, and was very busy this week at work preparing for an event that didn't happen anyway due to the NY area floods Friday/yesterday).

I hope they are not disabled as long as forums were earlier this year. :_(

I was so excited when I discovered the Google map feature! I thought it was a GREAT improvement, and made planning a geocaching trip much easier.

I just wanted to add another vote for returning the google map feature quickly. I was very disappointed to go back to the mapquest maps after having so much fun with the google maps.

Two new Google Map features have been added. This is the place to discuss the new features. I'll follow up with a larger announcement in the announcements section of the forums.

When do we get the New Google Map feature here in Tennessee? All I get is Mapquest (which is not very good) and lots of advertisements. The google maps on Cache Page listing looks great :anitongue:

To get to the google maps:

Goto any cache page.

Click on the 'geocaching.com Maps' link.

On the top left hand corner it will have 'View results in Google Maps (beta)'

Click it and you are on your way :ninja:

This is until Raine gets them back up to his (and yours/everyone else's) liking :D

edit for gender

Edited by Shilo
:) I don't often post on the GC.Com forums, but I have to say I love the google maps function and the new link to it is great. I was using it to plan my trips when it went away (back to the mapquest maps) and I am SOOOOOO happy it is back. This is a great help in planning trips and just heading out for a couple hours caching. Thanks for all the hard work on this feature, it is greatly appriciated. Edited by 3AMT

Hey! I just noticed the link to Geocaching.com Google map in the list of map links! We were hoping the Google map feature would return because we like how we can use it to plan a route. I only checked it out for a minute or two, (I wanted to rush over here to say thank-you!) but everything seems to working wonderfully, and if I'm not mistaken, it seems alot faster than it was before.

We also don't mind having to do an extra click to see it, so that folks who want to print the page with the Mapquest map can have it their way too!

Thank-you!

Fifth St. Irregulars

Edited by Fifth St. Irregulars

Cool. We're really hoping we can rid the cache pages of the maps that are there now though. Month by month that data is getting outdated and it is using legacy stuff that really needs to just - go - away.

One addition (or subtraction according to which way you look at it) would be the choice of seeing your cache markers that you found on the map or just those caches you have not found.

Keep up the Great Work! :)

rwsherlock

I agree! Google Maps rock...especially for planning out a trip. I have been wondering about where it has gone for a while now. I am glad I checked out this forum to see that it is back up because I have been doing the hard way (going to each cache page to see where it is). Thanks!

I agree, I think the googlemaps is great. Someone has said about reviewing the other map services too. I hope (certainly from a UK perspective) that the streetmaps one won't go. That has the 1:50,000 scale Ordnance Survey maps which allows you to see rights-of-way, paths, forests and most importantly, contours!

Though, if anyone wants to link in to Ordnance Survey maps itself and use the 1:25,000 scale maps that would be even more marvellous! However, the Ordnance Survey are bound to charge an incredible licensing fee for that....

Thanks for the good work!

One addition (or subtraction according to which way you look at it) would be the choice of seeing your cache markers that you found on the map or just those caches you have not found.

I completely agree with this request. I would love to be able to toggle between seeing caches I haven't found yet and all caches in an area.

BTW, I love being able to bookmark from the page too. I bookmark the caches, create a PQ from the bookmark and use the GPX file to dump the waypoints to my GPS. Then I put the GPX on my PDA and I am all set for a day/weekend of caching.

Ummm..... 5150, they are back, just go to the map section on the cache page as shown below. :ph34r:

For online maps...

Geocaching.com Maps

Geocaching.com Google Map

Google Maps

MapQuest

Microsoft MapPoint

Yahoo Maps

Rand McNally

Topozone

Terraserver

Tiger Census Maps

Just noticed that GC has added the long awaited feature to the googlemaps. Identifying caches that I have found or own. However, if the map has more than 20 caches, and I go to the 2nd, 3rd, and so on list of caches, that feature doesn't work. Has anyone else noticed this and is there a more specific thread to this topic that I'm not seeing?

I like the new feature of showing what ones have been found. Thanks for all the hard work on this. It makes planning a day of caching so easy. Makes me want to renew my membership for another year.

I guess this has been answered.

Edited by DangerousDale

And another nice feature that they have for the premium members (sign up and support the web site) is to create route pocket queries, which you can set up in google maps. Another good reason to become a premium member! Thanks to all for their hard work to make this great website and sport!

Love the google map function! One question: Is there the option to display archived caches on the google maps?

Except for showing a record of your finds, why would you need to? What I mean is, the data supplied by this site is to help you find caches. There is no need to display the archived ones on maps, in relation to helping you find caches.

I'm trying to omit finds on the google map also. It marks them in the listing as found much of the time, but still puts the balloon on the map. I think these should be in the works. I'm sure alot of cachers like the google map better. If it could omit these finds, it would be great. I do not know of a way to filter them out at this time. If anyone does, please let the rest of us know.

Edited by Frank22

Perhaps I missed it,but my search results didn't come up with anything. Please forgive meif this question has already been answered, and feel free to markwell me. I was looking for a way to filter out my finds from being displayed on google maps. Can this be done yet? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to omit finds on the google map also. It marks them in the listing as found much of the time, but still puts the balloon on the map. I think these should be in the works. I'm sure alot of cachers like the google map better. If it could omit these finds, it would be great. I do not know of a way to filter them out at this time. If anyone does, please let the rest of us know.

I have had this request in for a couple months <_< both for the old and new map program. I like the old map program for the way it lists information and I like the new for better graphics and utilities. I really would like :ph34r: the option of not showing my found or owned caches. (Or maybe only my found or owned caches.)

Edited by rwsherlock

You can always run a Pocket Query and view the results in Google Earth.

-Raine

Having never done this, I thought I might give it a try. I found it not quite meeting my needs, for two reasons.

(1) I d/l'd it, and found I had to download an update, which I did. Still, every time I move teh mouse, the screen goes wonky, enough to be unusable for me:

googleearth.jpg

(2) Even though I can browse to the website from links within google earth, it seems to me to be easier and faster to go online and do a zip code search for a place I am going to that day. I know I usually get PQ's immediately when I run them, but what if the server is running low on hamster pellets that day? Sometimes I just wanna plop down and do a quick and dirty browsing, print stuff out, and go out the door.

(3) This doesn't apply to me so much, but is another reason I think has merit: What about times I (or anyone else) am on a machine that can't run or install Google Earth (such as a Library or on someone else's machine)? It would be nice to have that functionality available directly online.

Thanks for all teh hard work, Raine. I know you guys are doing a lot, and always trying to improve the site. I hope this is something that can be considered and implemented for premium members.

QUOTE(New England n00b @ Aug 1 2006, 06:32 AM) *

Perhaps I missed it,but my search results didn't come up with anything. Please forgive meif this question has already been answered, and feel free to markwell me. I was looking for a way to filter out my finds from being displayed on google maps. Can this be done yet? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

QUOTE(Frank22 @ Aug 1 2006, 06:47 AM) *

I have had this request in for a couple months signal both for the old and new map program. I like the old map program for the way it lists information and I like the new for better graphics and utilities. I really would like the option of not showing my found or owned caches. (Or maybe only my found or owned caches.)

8-23-2006

I started this idea 2 - 3 months ago and placed on 2 different forums. To date, have had no reply from any "higher ups" as to possibility of adding this choice. To restate: It would be good in both map programs, to be able to choose either to show or not show "my found or owned" icons on map. For example, I own or have found almost all caches in North Port or Venice, Florida area. I am only interested in seeing those caches I have not found, not all caches. I don't care if they are marked with a red checkmark, I just don't want to see them!!!!! :blink:

Edited by rwsherlock

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic.

When using the Google Map Search, I get several errors like this:

00:11:06:755

Image Found Error: TypeError: x has no properties

There appears to be one of these errors for each of the caches displayed that I have found.

Yup i have the same problem. But for my friend with premium membership (the only difference between us) it's working fine on the same PC.

:lol: Can only get a map to appear on the first cache info I attempt, after that all map sections are blank, have tried on several computers at different locations. Is anyone else having this problem. If I log out and log back in awhile later will get one map again and then all blanks on subsequest attempts.