New Google Map Feature

Jeremy

can anyone pinpoint where they are coming into the google maps from that might be adding the extra /?

Raine, I just got the Google Maps key error message when I tried to view GCW4ZM. This is a new cache, and I clicked the link in the e-mail I received notifying me of the cache's publication.

The URL had // after www.geocaching.com, as described by other people who had this problem. I clicked OK (or whatever the choice was to continue) and the page loaded without the Google Map.

When I opened the link in the e-mail in a new tab again, I didn't get the key error message and the URL didn't have the two slashes. The page also had the Google Map this time.

Using Yahoo Mail and Firefox v1.5.0.3.

I tried the same cache and it loaded to the "...54d"... and froze until I clicked of the now oft quoted error message. the URL copied from my browser follows: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e5-a92c2c9bd0ae

It isn't so much now about the maps, as about the wasted time opening every page. It chugs along and after it realizes it can't open the page sends out the warning.. that has to be clicked off, then the page is opened. It would be nice to have google maps on my printed page, but since that doesn't seem to be happening how about a preference choice to revert back to the old version which at least worked smoothly.

Anybody else having trouble running .gpx files from PQ's since the change to google?

I have had 2 files lock-up spinner now and I use to be able to do large files no trouble. It started here recently and was wondering if the google maps could be causing trouble. Or the // problem could be showing up in the PQ and causing the problem?

Any ideas?

Anybody else having trouble running .gpx files from PQ's since the change to google?

I have had 2 files lock-up spinner now and I use to be able to do large files no trouble. It started here recently and was wondering if the google maps could be causing trouble. Or the // problem could be showing up in the PQ and causing the problem?

Any ideas?

I've had no trouble with gpx files with GSAK. I load them daily. It's hard to imagine how the map used for online displays could affect them.

Any ideas?

I've had no trouble with gpx files with GSAK. I load them daily. It's hard to imagine how the map used for online displays could affect them.

I haven't had any trouble with the .gpx files and GSAK either, and I recently ran several of my 500-cache PQs to update my database.

Any ideas?

I haven't had any trouble with the .gpx files and GSAK either, and I recently ran several of my 500-cache PQs to update my database.

OK, thanks. I got some answers in another thread that might help me. Just strange it just started and I have been using the same set-up for a year now.

Visiting this forum gave me my first clue of what these Google maps were all about. I haven't tried clicking on one yet. But the reason I came here is still valid: I hate them already. :sad: I am trying to print out a pile of geocache listings in preparation for a summer trip, and this thing has been a disaster. First, that blasted Google map takes five minutes or more to load up on a dial-up connection. Then, once loaded up, it doesn't show anything -- no town names, no water, no nuthin', it's difficult to figure out where you are with it. Third, when you bring up the cache listing in the printable format and try to print it, about half the time the map won't print -- it often winds up right at the bottom of the first page, and if it spans the page break it either prints just a small part of the top of the map or prints nothing at all. Fourth, sometimes, just for spite, it prints at the TOP of the first page, completely obscuring info like the waypoint. I haven't figured out why it does that.

I'm sure it'll all be hunky-dory as soon as the bugs are worked out, but if I had a button I could click to go back to the old maps, I'd click it.

Is there any reason the printable format can't use the old maps?

I am trying to print out a pile of geocache listings in preparation for a summer trip, and this thing has been a disaster.

Have you tried Pocket Queries and GSAK?

I use all 3. If the map were on the first page of print-friendly, I wouldn't have a major complaint with the changes.

I'm on dialup/firefox and the maps work just fine for me. No problems there.

BUT.....

I don't really care which map is on the page, but I would prefer the map to stay at the top of the page. This new map is causing me to have to print more than one page when really one page would do if only the map was at the top of the page like it used to be.

What happened to the old map? Is there any way to make the map switch stop?

I hate all this wasted paper because the map is at the bottom now.

I hate to sound like a nag, but the new maps have one problem that is really starting to bug me.

Could it please be changed so that the cache from whose page you clicked on the map still shows up on the map?

It's really weird to click on the map on a cache page, and get a new map without that cache even on it!

Why do you need to print a map for? Isn't that what the GPSr is for? :(

Half of geocaching is finding your way to the parking/geocache area, isn't it? <_<

If I knew where exactly I was going all the time it wouldn't be that much fun.

Just mt 2 cents worth :lol:

I log into geocaching.com on multiple computers. Ever since the new google maps have been added (which I like alot) I can only access them from one computer, the first one that I accessed the maps on. When I try from the other computers I get a lengthy error message saying I have to register on google maps to access the maps. I tried and it didn't get me in. Any suggestions?

I really like the google maps for the satellite feature.

In our area I can zoom in close enough to see trails, boardwalks and people houses. It's good for seeing what the area is like before I go out. I just wish that all way points were displayed on the map with the cache. That way I can see where parking and trail heads are as well.

I have loved the Google maps and havent had any problems with them. I really love how you can see all the caches in a particular area and not have to go hunting around the lists looking for caches that might be in the same park. Logging on and seeing the mapquest maps back again made me sad :lol: Sure they are more detailed, but i havent really missed that in the Google maps. I do agree that there should be a way to set it in your preferences which you would like. Theres my 2 cents.

...... when you bring up the cache listing in the printable format and try to print it, about half the time the map won't print -- it often winds up right at the bottom of the first page, and if it spans the page break it either prints just a small part of the top of the map or prints nothing at all.

Is there any reason the printable format can't use the old maps?

I don't really care which map is on the page, but I would prefer the map to stay at the top of the page. This new map is causing me to have to print more than one page when really one page would do if only the map was at the top of the page like it used to be.

What happened to the old map? Is there any way to make the map switch stop?

I hate all this wasted paper because the map is at the bottom now.

I agree with PandyBat and Kirbert.

I like to print off the cache page before I go out and used to like the map printed at the top of the print-friendly cache page. Then I would print the Google map (at whatever zoom level seemed appropriate) on the back of the page.

With the help of the previous posts I have found that I can turn Javascript off and get the old map, but it is a pain to do this everytime I want to print a cache page, and I don't dare leave it off or other pages won't load.

So add another vote for having the old map at the TOP of the print-friendly page.

Sue

I have been really actively caching for about a week, and I started BECAUSE of the new maps. I have to juggle time contraints and the ability/endurance level of the geogerls and those maps were awesome. It made all the difference in deciding where we were going to ramble. I am very disspointed to see that they are gone. :laughing:

Please bring those maps back, I miss the pins!

I really love how you can see all the caches in a particular area

I liked them too. According to another thread, they will be back soon. The only thing I did not like relates to the above quote. I found that if I zoomed out only a little ways, the displayed caches were chosen randomly, skipping many, rather than showing a certain number from a central point or cache. This was a really bad thing. The quote above implies that there was a fix or workaround for this problem. Did I miss that? Or is the poster above only referring to when you are zoomed in close enough to have less than the threshold of caches displayed?

I too preferred the Google geomaps over the mapquest maps. The ability to see all the other caches in the area and the ability to pan around was awesome. I also like the satellite picture overlay. It would have been nice if previously found caches were descriminated from unfound on the map.

Please bring back the Google maps

lcjhnsn

Colchester, CT

I would also like to see the Google maps return. I really like the that you can zoom into an area and visually see all of the caches and decide which ones to go after by bookmarking them. The mapquest map is of no vaule to me. I have always use the google maps or the new mappoint maps. I just want to be able to see multiple caches in an area.

WHY GOOGLE MAPS ARE NOT ANY MORE ON THE CACHE'S SITE ???

Because the people who thought that the Google maps sucked were questioning whether Jeremy and Raine were listening to them. So, just before leaving for a three day weekend, Raine put back the old maps. Quite frankly I don't understand this - and began a thread critical of Groundspeak customer service - which seemed to be reacting to who shout the loudest instead of looking at suggestions that were being made for improving the maps.

Most of the complaints about the new maps had to do with printing out the caches pages. I never could see the point in changing the print friendly page to use Google maps. I suppose, if your browser could handle it, you could sed the zoom and perhaps show the satellite map on you print out. But the real advantage of Google maps was to use them for planing a caching trip. Perhaps the best compromise would be to keep the old maps but have a link on each cache page to show the Google map with the nearest caches. The other problem with the Google maps was the random selection of cache shown when there were more than 20 caches. When you click to see the nearby caches thats what you want to see, the cache you clicked on and the nearest caches. I hope when Google maps come back - or a link to show nearest caches in Google maps is on the cache page - the nearest cache are show and not a random selection.

Edited by tozainamboku

I understand why many people want the Google maps back. If they were working properly they would have been of great value to everyone. However, for many of us they didn't work at all thus we were stuck with zero map information on the cache page. So, to give some people better maps others were left with no maps at all. I also hope they will come back and be accessible to everyone.

Thank goodness it isn't just us that want the Google maps back. We haven't been keeping up in the forums, but decided to take a peek tonight after we saw the Mapquest maps back.

We loved the ability to see other caches in the area surrounding the cache we were looking at. Many people seem to not like the random selection of caches that show up, but we actually found that very helpful in finding new caches that we might have otherwise overlooked or passed by. When you see one that is within the same park, even if it is not one that you would have chosen to do just from the name or difficulty level, you kinda figure it is a waste to pass it by if you are already gonna be there. and we have had some nice surprises with those.

PLEASE BRING BACK GOOGLE MAPS!!!! Mapquest has lead me astray way too many times with incorrect info. Not to mention they are part of a larger company that just bugs the hell outta us :laughing:

hey, what is happening here, can't we get both? the googlemaps were excellent. to maintin bookmarks and to plan your day ahead.

TEAM please restore the googlemaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

it is off great value and 100% used by the europeans

John

Edited by Track_leader

The new map program is great (so is the original geocaching map program).

Have one suggestion if not already addressed. This applies to original but may carry over also.

Under the Legend area, there should be a box listed "Suppress Caches Found/Owned". No matter what way I check or uncheck boxes, the map is cluttered up with found/own caches. The red check mark helps on the map but it would be great to hide these caches just like you can hide other types of caches.

Keep up the great work!!!!!

rwsherlock

My preference is the google maps. When I noticed the mapquest link back, I went to my preferences, and there wasn't an option there. Then I came here, and find that its been switched :laughing:

Perhaps that is one way to make everybody happy. Make it an option in preferences. While we're talking about maps.

I really like local.live.com the resolution is best where I do most of my caching. I worked up a custom url for gsak for local.live.com that works pretty well.

Or a link to the really neat google maps as an option?

Man, you gotta feel for Jeremy. He works hard to get the Google maps working, gets lots of complaints, shuts them down, gets lots of complaints!

I don't expect anyone to listen to me, but I think I can offer a solution that would make everyone happy. The cache listings, including the printer-friendly pages, should stick with the old-style maps; they load quicker, print better, and actually give you some idea where you need to be driving to when you're on the road and many miles from your 'puter. However, when one clicks on "Nearby caches", THAT'S when the Google map would be handy!

Fact is, I'd like to be able to bring up "Nearby caches" either way -- as the listing starting with the closest where I can select caches and download all the wayponints at once, or as a Google map where I can quickly see where all the nearby caches are scattered.

I think the Google map system has a place here, just not on the cache listing page.

BTW, might it be possible to indicate on the maps somehow the SIZE of the cache? Like, make a regular a different color than a micro? Or at least mention the size in the listing of caches on the right?

I too preferred the Google geomaps over the mapquest maps. The ability to see all the other caches in the area and the ability to pan around was awesome. I also like the satellite picture overlay. It would have been nice if previously found caches were descriminated from unfound on the map.

lcjhnsn

Colchester, CT

Uh, since you are a premium member, you still have that all that ~well, just a click or two away.

From the cache page, click the link that says "view all nearby caches" and a list appears of the nearest caches.

There will be a link at the top right that says "map it" ~ when you click on that link, you get a mapquest map of all the local caches and a link that will take you to the beta google maps as well (satellite overlay and all).

i logged into my account and all of a sudden my maps aren't neat and cool anymore there the old cruddy ones...and i wanted to plan out some caches and now i can't do it...well not with any convience...can someone please tell me why sometimes i have the new neat maps and other times i have the old ones from mapquest

thanx

amy

tomahawk chop shop

I keep chasing threads around on this so apologies to repeat this request in another spot but I'm not sure if it has been noted elsewhere.

For the Print Friendly Pages - When the Google maps return, can the positioning be in the same place as the old maps, which in Australia at least, is at the top of the page. This will give an easy reference in the same place on each cache page. On V1 of the google maps they were hard to find (ie They will be in a different spot each time depending on the length of the cache page) and cutting in half across pages should they be in that spot.

Kindest regards,

Rabbitto

An option will be nice. Personally, I'd prefer the advanced (google) option until that is worked out. I'll be traveling soon and was looking forward to scrolling down the highway in interesting areas to see if there was anything nearby to hunt on my way to my destination. Now, I'll have to figure out zipcodes or use another program to determine sample coordinates to check -- a much more laborious process that I may not have the time to complete.

I'm often resistant to changes, but for me the google maps made cache trip planning MUCH easier! The sooner it comes back, the better!

Bring back the Google maps as the default option for the maps on the cache pages. It really helps a newbie like me figure out where things are in my area....as I'm still learning.... <_<

Completely loved the ability to see what other caches were in the area -- both for going out and finding them and for consideration as a potential spot for a new one. The mapquest stuff going on since this weekend just doesn't do it for me.

lcjhnsn

Colchester, CT

Uh, since you are a premium member, you still have that all that ~well, just a click or two away.

From the cache page, click the link that says "view all nearby caches" and a list appears of the nearest caches.

There will be a link at the top right that says "map it" ~ when you click on that link, you get a mapquest map of all the local caches and a link that will take you to the beta google maps as well (satellite overlay and all).

Thanks for pointing that out.