New Google Map Feature

Jeremy

The new map is AWESOME!!!

I like how the "print friendly" version still has the old map. I'm one of those who happily remains non-paperless (paperful?) and would be happy if it were left that way.

I'll also add my vote to have the default zoom moved out a bit.

For those that want the print the old maps, just turn of Javascript and voila, there's the old maps! -Randy

For us computer idiots: How do you turn off Javascript? Just curious.

From dealing with hundreds of close examinations of railroad track issues as a volunteer cache reviewer, I can say confidently Google's maps are as accurate or better than the GeoMicro maps.... and Google places its pushpin at the correct cache location... not 200 feet away like GeoMicro.

After playing with the new map a bit my experience is exactly the opposite -- the old maps placed the star/pushpin very accurately, but Google's symbol is frequently off by as much as 100 feet in the new map feature.

I like how the "print friendly" version still has the old map. I'm one of those who happily remains non-paperless (paperful?) and would be happy if it were left that way.

The MapQuest maps are still useless in Europe, so they stay useless on the printerfreindly version, which is apity, since we know how precise Goolge maps could be in comparison...

@TPTB: Please change all the maps to Google Maps!

TIA,

BS/2

The MapQuest maps are still useless in Europe, so they stay useless on the printerfreindly version, which is apity, since we know how precise Goolge maps could be in comparison...

TIA,

BS/2

They should all be Google Maps.. can you give me a link to the cache you are viewing?

For us computer idiots: How do you turn off Javascript? Just curious.

It varies a bit by system, so you may have to do a search on your computer's help files. One way is to get to the Internet setting options and change the preferences.

In my system it goes:

start>control panel>network & Internet Connections> Internet Options>Advanced

and then click off (or on) any settings that have to do with Java. If you aren't familiar with making changes to your system preferences, the best advice is to change only one setting at a time (and to write down what you changed) so that if it causes a problem, you can go back in and reset the feature to the way it was before.

Another way to get to the Java might be through your security settings. Sometimes if you have your security setting too high, the Java is turned off.

If you turn off the Java scripting, some websites won't open.

When linking to a cache page from google earth I generate an error message "Google Map API not compatible with this browser". Page then loads with the old maps. I use IE 6.02. This message does not occur when starting at geocaching.com. Same browser and seems like a strange error.

Are you viewing this page within Google Earth or in an external browser?

GE opens IE 6 to display the cache page, so external, I assume. It is a regular IE 6 window but opened thru the GE program. Does that make any sense??

I'v been waiting for this for a long, long time. Thanks!

Now, if only it worked for me... Macintosh OS X 10.4.6, I've tried Safari 2.0.3 and Firefox 1.5.0.3.

Note, I see an earlier posted talked about beta users, if you need Macintosh beta users, I'm available. (I've been writing software professionally since the early 80s so I understand the job of being a good beta tester.)

Another Mac user here looking at a gray box. Sure would be nice if TPTB would test changes on a Mac before releasing them.

As noted by someone else it is possible to get the map to show in Safari by running a newer version of WebKit than is installed in OS X 10.4.6. It is updated daily for developers but one version that seems to work is Rev. 13302. This WebKit app looks just like Safari except its icon is a gold rimmed compass instead of silver.

Edited by bigeddy
Sure would be nice if TPTB would test changes on a Mac before releasing them.

I dont' have a mac to test with but I do use services provided out there that will do a screen capture of the page and send it to you as an image and for some reason it works for me. I'll look some more into it though.. What cache are you looking at?

Another Mac user here looking at a gray box. Sure would be nice if TPTB would test changes on a Mac before releasing them.

<VENT>

I believe the change is in "BETA" right now!!! I think TPTB probably have gotten the message about the gray box issue. Must be a Macintoss thing.

</VENT>

Is there a way to see the results of a previewed Pocket Query in a map such as this?

I would very much like to be able to run a PQ and then see the results in Google Maps. I suppose I could just use Google Earth, correct?

Thanks

--

Speedy B

<VENT>

I believe the change is in "BETA" right now!!! I think TPTB probably have gotten the message about the gray box issue. Must be a Macintoss thing.

</VENT>

Isn't this the place to report bugs? Having the page not load correctly on the latest consumer release of the second largest consumer OS with the latest consumer release of the default browser for that OS certainly is worth mentioning? Its an embedded Java-flavor thing, not a Macintosh thing.

I note that a Mac-Safari user on our local boards says the map change is working fine for him (OS 10.3.3/Safari 2.0.2). It seems that all the people that get grey boxes are using 10.4.6/2.0.3. If that helps at all...

Just to clarify, the maps work fine (on 10.4.6/2.0.3) when doing a global search - it is just the embedded maps in cache pages that don't work.

In response to Raine's question, I tried on several random caches (GC1111, GC6, GCVRAA), and none of the maps showed up. Just grey boxes, as a previously-posted screenshot shows.

Sure would be nice if TPTB would test changes on a Mac before releasing them.

I dont' have a mac to test with but I do use services provided out there that will do a screen capture of the page and send it to you as an image and for some reason it works for me. I'll look some more into it though.. What cache are you looking at?

There's a grey box for a map on every cache page.

Like the maps, but a few observations:

1. Random caches when too many caches nearby is not useful. I think someone mention that you're usually looking for cache density, so you want everything nearby. At a minimum, I would switch to a "nearest to the center point" vs "random" method of list the caches.

2. Miss the "cache types" feature. Very useful when looking for specific types of nearby caches visually -- for example, don't include Multis or Events, etc.

3. Missing "show archived" caches. This was a VERY handy feature since there is no way to search for these in the main search functions. Sometimes you find a cache (like an event) but forget to log it -- when you go back you have to somehow remember the exact GC number to get to it. If however, you can pull up a nearby cache on the old map, you can show archived caches and get it from proximity. I really think the main search function should have a "show archived" option (or perhaps only available as part of a PQ for premium members) but that's a topic for another thread.

Any thoughts to making this an "option" for returned searches (for example when searching by zip code or coordinates) instead of having to click through a cache?

Edited by Lasagna

Just a note, these are the only browsers that will support the Google Map functionality.

Which web browsers does Google Maps support?

Google Maps currently supports the following web browsers:

* IE 6.0+

* Firefox 0.8+

* Safari 1.2.4+

* Netscape 7.1+

* Mozilla 1.4+

* Opera 8.02+

Taken from: http://local.google.com/support/bin/answer...6532&topic=1499

Maps not working with my safari version 2.0.3, any ideas

Two new Google Map features have been added. This is the place to discuss the new features. I'll follow up with a larger announcement in the announcements section of the forums.

All I get is a grey box with safari 2.0,3, Will this feature work with a MAC OS10.4.3

I like how the "print friendly" version still has the old map.
I do too, but I regret the new three inches of blank space on each printout to hold the empty frame for the new map. Could this be cleaned up?

And perhaps some other aspects of the print-friendly page could be given attention? There's no need to spend layout space to include links like "See the history" or "What is a Travel Bug?" because you can't click on a printout.

Call me old fashioned. I print dozens of pages of cache listings every week so I can leave the computers behind on the weekend.

Thanks!

I like the new feature, but when I make the page print-friendly it leaves a green outline where the google map was and when I print it, it prints a scarp sheet of paper if the listing is short. Is there anything I can change to correct this?

Thanks for the effort.

OK, I think this is a slightly new one for you....

I just started using Portable FireFox 1.5.0.3 and I noticed that when I pull up a cache page the old map comes up first with an outline box to its left, then the google map overlays it and the outline box goes away.

Then, when you click on the google map, the new map screen shows up but no caches ar elisted and there are no pins on the map.

I just started using Portable FireFox 1.5.0.3 and I noticed that when I pull up a cache page the old map comes up first with an outline box to its left, then the google map overlays it and the outline box goes away.

Then, when you click on the google map, the new map screen shows up but no caches ar elisted and there are no pins on the map.

the search function doesn't work either. In one test it just sat there. In another, pretty much everything cleared form the screen except the map header info:

Click on Cache to view Details...

Drag map to display additional items... Create Permalink Show Center Marker Click to make map Larger Click to make map Smaller

But no map, caches, nuttin'.

the search function doesn't work either. In one test it just sat there. In another, pretty much everything cleared form the screen except the map header info:

Click on Cache to view Details...

Drag map to display additional items... Create Permalink Show Center Marker Click to make map Larger Click to make map Smaller

But no map, caches, nuttin'.

I found that if I view these as IE pages using the IETab extension, they look and act fine except for the map covering part of the header after selecting a cache as described earlier.

This is all I see with Safari 2.0.3

blank.jpg

While all the work that you do to make the cache pages better is appreciated by all, I think that it is a disservice to force a change such as this when it clearly cannot be used by all.

This has been described as a beta, so we should have a choice whether we want to participate in it. Please go back to the other map until you can work the bugs out.

blank.jpg

While all the work that you do to make the cache pages better is appreciated by all, I think that it is a disservice to force a change such as this when it clearly cannot be used by all.

This has been described as a beta, so we should have a choice whether we want to participate in it. Please go back to the other map until you can work the bugs out.

In the forums you will find a link to the web kit developers site for safari (sorry I tried to relocate it but cant) I downloaded it and it looks and works just like safari the icon has a gold ring around it. The map shows up but everyone is talking about how all the area caches show up, the map I get only shows one cache.

I have not been able to get it to show more then one cache at a time. Sorry again for not being able to relocate the link but someone put it out the first day these new maps showed up. Us MAC users will have to just make do for now.

blank.jpg

In the forums you will find a link to the web kit developers site for safari (sorry I tried to relocate it but cant) I downloaded it and it looks and works just like safari the icon has a gold ring around it. The map shows up but everyone is talking about how all the area caches show up, the map I get only shows one cache.

I have not been able to get it to show more then one cache at a time. Sorry again for not being able to relocate the link but someone put it out the first day these new maps showed up. Us MAC users will have to just make do for now.

Do you have the Adblock extension installed? This is the symptom you see with Firefox 1.5.0.3 if you don't add geocaching.com to its white list.

Mike

TIA,

BS/2

They should all be Google Maps.. can you give me a link to the cache you are viewing?

Hi Raine,

I was not referring to a certain cache, but to all the different sorts of maps that have not been changed yet (small maps on cache description in the upper left corner, map on "printer friendly" version, maps and - above all - "old maps" on trackable pages).

Cheers,

BS/2

Do you have the Adblock extension installed? This is the symptom you see with Firefox 1.5.0.3 if you don't add geocaching.com to its white list.

Mike

Yeah, Lig, I did some post scanning REAL late last night and found that. Put in the exception in Adblock Plus and all is right with the world. :rolleyes:

Now if I can just get some of these greasemonkey scripts workin on PF. <_<

Thanks!

I know everyone is happy with the google maps, but If you have MSNTV or WEBTV its not as good as the old maps. I understand the connection with google earth etc. I guess it will take some getting use to.

Google Maps is not supported under MSNTV or WEBTV, sorry :rolleyes:

Just a note, these are the only browsers that will support the Google Map functionality.

Which web browsers does Google Maps support?

Google Maps currently supports the following web browsers:

* Safari 1.2.4+

Taken from: http://local.google.com/support/bin/answer...6532&topic=1499

I'm using Mac OS 10.4.6 and Safari 2.0.3 and they don't work for me. Nothing except a blank empty box.

Edited by DNStephens

I like the interactivity of the maps on the cache page a lot, but I haven't found the map you get to when you click on it very useful for trip-planning purposes. I hope the Google Maps won't replace the GeoMicro maps on the geocaching.com maps page before the functionality of GeoMicro is achieved or exceeded.

The randomness is very annoying: I keep seeing caches I found years ago, but not some of the ones I haven't found yet.

Also, those pins are huge, and obscure big parts of the map. I'd like to see them reduced to little boxes, like on the GeoMicro maps.

Edited by shunra

The randomness is very annoying: I keep seeing caches I found years ago, but not some of the ones I haven't found yet.

Also, those pins are huge, and obscure big parts of the map. I'd like to see them reduced to little boxes, like on the GeoMicro maps.

I agree...

I'm also going to miss seeing all those little red check marks...I love seeing them spread across the maps. :rolleyes:

I like the new feature, but when I make the page print-friendly it leaves a green outline where the google map was and when I print it, it prints a scarp sheet of paper if the listing is short. Is there anything I can change to correct this?

Thanks for the effort.

I see the same thing. On IE 6 I get a blank green box and a bunch of JavaScript errors.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...decrypt=y&log=y

Overall, I like the new maps though!

Come on you cannot statisfy all.

BTW even old version did not work well with Lynx. :rolleyes:

tried it with Safari, Firefox, Netscape & even my old IE...nuttun' hunny on my Powerbook....

ugh....what's the problem here? anyone care to 'splain it using small words?

Isn't this just a JavaScript thing? or is it a wacky GoogleEarth thing when GE gets embedded in another page?

Like the maps, but a few observations:

1. Random caches when too many caches nearby is not useful. I think someone mention that you're usually looking for cache density, so you want everything nearby. At a minimum, I would switch to a "nearest to the center point" vs "random" method of list the caches.

I love the new maps except for this one problem. Random caches seems really bad. If I look at a map, I want to see all the caches. This is especially true along a route. I can zoom in if the cache density is too great at the zoom level I am at. I don't want to miss the existence of caches because of this random choice.

If there are times that people really want to stay at a certain zoom level and there are too many caches cluttering the screen, maybe there could be a button on the page that would at that point take away all but a random 20. But I don't think the default setting should be to hide the existence of caches.

Other than that, I love the change. Thanks!

Edited by Cheminer Will

I like the new functionality, but the basic map shown seems less useful. Maybe it's the default zoom level that makes it so you don't really have a context of where the cache is compared to nearby cities, etc.

Luckily you can change the zoom level and make it useful to you! :rolleyes:

I get the same if I insert the extra slash, but wonder why you have it there, can't you just remove it?

:rolleyes: For follow up, I am not the one entering the extra slash, it happens on the GC.com side automatically.

Mostly, I notice, when I am browsing caches on the weekends.

And yes an easy fix (one that I immediately picked up on) but an error none the less. <_<

Well, a lot of people seem to be happy with the changes, and we would too, if we could only see them. We're using Safari, but it's not just version 2.0 and higher thats having the problem. we're using 1.3.2 (v312.6) on system 10.3.9 and we are also seeing only a grey box on the cache page, where once, at least, was a map. We CAN, however, see Google maps with the same browser by going there directly, and by clicking on the link further down the page (but that doesn't give us the new bells and whistles), so the problem doesn't appear to be an incompatibility issue with Safari and Google maps, but with Safari and the new feature.

Hope our two cents worth added something new to the pot;

Fifth St. Irregulars