Moun10bike Coins In The Wild

bullit

I dropped a V3 Moun10Bike geocoin out in Henry Coe State Park in California this weekend. The shortest and easiest route to get there is 34 miles round trip with about a 5700' elevation gain unless you wait until Backcountry weekend next April when it drops to an 8 mile hike.

Here's the cache listing.

Anybody know of good stories of crazy hikes or road trips to grab a Moun10Bike coin? I know budd-rdc has one <_<

I dropped a V3 Moun10Bike geocoin out in Henry Coe State Park in California this weekend. The shortest and easiest route to get there is 34 miles round trip with about a 5700' elevation gain unless you wait until Backcountry weekend next April when it drops to an 8 mile hike.

Yeah that was a fun hike a little sunburned..

Anybody know of good stories of crazy hikes or road trips to grab a Moun10Bike coin? I know budd-rdc has one <_<

;)

Many people have said "Respect Henry Coe" so this one is going to be interesting. I know of two cachers in the area who are capable of doing the hike, but they are not too interested in Geocoins.

If I recall, elevation gain from Whitney Portal to Mount Whitney is around 5000'... (different sets of challenges there, though)

Thank you CENT5, for sharing the story.

Funny, the map that geocaching.com displays on the cache page makes it look like a drive up. <_<

--Marky

Thats because of the ranch that is right next to it someone from the ranch passed us up while we were hiking although they own a huge chunk of property up there and they don't like trespassing.

Funny, the map that geocaching.com displays on the cache page makes it look like a drive up. <_<

--Marky

Thats because of the ranch that is right next to it someone from the ranch passed us up while we were hiking although they own a huge chunk of property up there and they don't like trespassing.

Hmm . . . Too short a time since I had surgery, but one more week and well . . . . . maybe. It is real tempting.

--Marky

Hmm . . . Too short a time since I had surgery, but one more week and well . . . . . maybe. It is real tempting.

Can't get permission from them. ;)

Only way is either wait till next year to do the 8 mile hike or do the 34 mile round trip.

Yeah they don't know when it will open they said it's suposed to have open last year but they are having problems opening it because not enough staff to watch over the back country of the park. As well as they said that the state is saying they have to have the road paved for it to open i dont know why.

Here's a good tale.

I was there when M10B dropped this v2 coin at The gold mine during our 3 day Great Alaska Cache-n-Dash in September of last year. It could NOT have gone to a finer or more deserving man.

Chronology of a cache mission:

It starts "5:10pm - Blackberry email received from close friend - 'Moun10Bike Coin #398 at "The Gold Mine Cache"!!!';"

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this <_<;) We discovered geocaching the week after hiking that whole area when I went home to Peter's Creek to visit with the family. If only we had known. Who knows how long it will be before I get back up there. We had a good time, but a cache would have been icing on the cake. A pic from the valley to the west:

HatchValBreak.jpg

HatcherLakefeet.jpg

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Here's a good tale.

I was there when M10B dropped this v2 coin at The gold mine during our 3 day Great Alaska Cache-n-Dash in September of last year. It could NOT have gone to a finer or more deserving man.

It starts "5:10pm - Blackberry email received from close friend - 'Moun10Bike Coin #398 at "The Gold Mine Cache"!!!';"

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this <_<:) We discovered geocaching the week after hiking that whole area when I went home to Peter's Creek to visit with the family. If only we had known. Who knows how long it will be before I get back up there. We had a good time, but a cache would have been icing on the cake. A pic from the valley to the west:

HatchValBreak.jpg

HatcherLakefeet.jpg

Nice pictures thanks for sharing. ;)

I think the secret is traveling a long distance to meet up with him in person.

In 2003 I flew 2000 miles to go geocaching with Moun10Bike and a stellar group of other Seattle area geocachers. After finding the well-known Ebey Bluffs cache on Whidbey Island, I received a v1 coin from the owner, one of the very last he handed out:

2064706_500.jpg

Last month, I returned for my third geocaching trip to Seattle. At an event cache, Moun10Bike gave me a v3 coin just for showing up.

Lest you think me incapable of transferring a Moun10Bike coin in the wild, I was part of a group that dropped off a v1 coin at the Melakwa's Heaven cache in 2004. I had picked that one up at GeoWoodstock 2.

I wonder when this trailhead is going to open. That would dramatically reduce the mileage and elevation change. Nazgul, I thought this was supposed to open last year. How did it look like it was coming along this year? Any news from your inside connections?

--Marky

Assuming that is Dowdy Ranch(which now has a cache <_< ) It has been completed but supposedly cannot be opened until the road is paved. Not sure if Nazgul has heard more.

Assuming that is Dowdy Ranch(which now has a cache <_< ) It has been completed but supposedly cannot be opened until the road is paved. Not sure if Nazgul has heard more.

Looking at my google map link, and the google map link for your Dowdy Ranch cache, I got within 100ft of your cache. ;)

--Marky

I found this on the opening Dowdy Ranch from a mt biking forum, this one doesn't mention paving of the road.

"......They had been talking about this May for a long time (well, they were talking about last fall before that), but as that date gets closer, the opening seems to be getting farther away. The first problem is that the contractor has not finished everything to the state's satisfaction. It sounds like it's not much, but we can't do anything with the area until the contractor is finished and the state agrees that everything is as it should be. Secondly, we didn't get any staff with the development (this is what is always expected when a new facility is added). With the little visitor center and other buildings prone to vandalism, we can't just leave the area unstaffed. There's talk about trying to get a camp host, but I don't think anyone has done anything about that yet. I'm guessing that we'll hear soon that the planned opening will be this fall--I'd guess it will be the fall of 2007 at the earliest (I'm not really a pessimist, I just know how state time works). Sorry I'm not of too much help in this. Keep in touch and I may know more later....."

Although it would be nice to be able to drive back in there I think I'd prefer to see that side stay more wild.

Myself and Team It's All Good did Valhalla GCGN3Q back on July 26, 2004 I will never forget the thrill of the hunt!

Being to chicken and to sore to do it with Jeremy, Moun10bike, runhills & MarcuArelius paid off for Team IAG and myself because Moun10Bike left two coins on that 8 mile stretch of the Pacific Coast Trail. When I found out Jeremy had a video camara with him I double happy have sat out on the 25th and chose the 26th insead.

Great memories, good luck to those who seek bullit's new cache placement.

Pepper

Myself and Team It's All Good did Valhalla GCGN3Q back on July 26, 2004 I will never forget the thrill of the hunt!

Being to chicken and to sore to do it with Jeremy, Moun10bike, runhills & MarcuArelius paid off for Team IAG and myself because Moun10Bike left two coins on that 8 mile stretch of the Pacific Coast Trail. When I found out Jeremy had a video camara with him I double happy have sat out on the 25th and chose the 26th insead.

Pepper

Someone got it yesterday. :)

There's an interesting Moun10Bike Coin side story involving yours truly. When you met us at Project APE Mission 9 in Snoqualmie Pass last year, you gave a total look of indifference when you looked at the Version 1 I have and people asked if you had seen a Version 1 before. :)

Pepper

Someone got it yesterday. :)

There's an interesting Moun10Bike Coin side story involving yours truly. When you met us at Project APE Mission 9 in Snoqualmie Pass last year, you gave a total look of indifference when you looked at the Version 1 I have and people asked if you had seen a Version 1 before. :)

I'm sorry budd I hope I didn't come off as rude I was really just focused on all y'all and the quest ahead of us it was an APE day!

Pepper

I'm sorry budd I hope I didn't come off as rude I was really just focused on all y'all and the quest ahead of us it was an APE day!

Pepper

Nope, it wasn't rude at all - I'm used to the "Been There, Done That" expression. :ph34r:

You did tell the group later how you got your Version 1 DESPITE the switchbacks! Thanks for being a gracious host, by the way.

I placed a V2 in Lost Horse Mountain. I received dozens of emails on how to go about getting to this cache which is in the backcountry wilderness of the Cabinet Mountains in Montana. There really is no EASY way to get there. GeoRoo was most serious and I sent him topo maps, waypoints, instructions, etc to ensure his success. He was, in fact, the finder and his log reads like an account of an ascent up K2! A fascinating story that took two log entries to post.

I'd like to get my hands on another one so that I can place the one I'm currently holding (a V1) in a very similar location. I really enjoy the adventure of getting it to the location and then the excitement of the find for the next lucky holder.

Edited by MedicOne

Well I did it, yesterday I realeased my Moun10Bike V3 in the wild, lets see how long it will take for it to go off the map again, I would hope it would travel bit, but I wont hole my breath.

Here is how it was done, as part of the event cache "GéoCaching Québec: La Montagne Noire 1ère édition" (GCVH06) we placed 24 caches (and then some) on the Mountain, one for each of the crew-member of the B24 Liberator Harry that crashed on the top on Oct 19 1943.

Each ammo box was given (by me) a brown cardboard envelope, each envelope contained a metal token, of no real value except for one, which contains the Moun10Bike V3, All the envelopes were taken at radom and placed into each cache, so nobody knows which cache has the coin.

Of course anybody whishing to find the coin will need to visit each cache until they do, and don't make any rush to the mountain either cause not all the caches will be activated at once, they will trikkle in during the week.

If anybody wishes to keep an eye out, you will need to search for nearby caches from the above event coordinates. Right now theres is ony one cache and it is approximatly at the top of the mountain, and that one contains none of the envelopes since it is not part of the event of yesterday.

Here is a topo of the trip we did yesterday:

m_2488429_0.jpg

Edited by AV Dezign

And what a hike that was :lol: , we left the parking area at the bottom of the mountain in the morning and hiked up to the summit in the rain with pack-sacks full of ammo boxes and cache containers. The trail gets pretty rough as you start gaining altitude. Rocks, mud, creeks, logs, a little bit of snow left here and there and then you get near the summit (2900 feet) where a B-24 Liberator Bomber crashed into the mountain on Oct 20th 1943. The pieces of the aircraft are strewn around the crash site where 24 members of the RCAF lost their lives.There is a collective/grave memorial at the summit to commemorate these servicemen, 24 white crosses with the names of each of the crew and passengers.

It was a pretty solumn moment at the top. Coming back down, to pay hommage, we put out 24 caches, mostly ammo boxes and named them all after the servicemen and put notes and items ( badges, patches, model aircraft, etc ) pertaining to the incident. By doing so, we hope to get more people to learn about what happened up there at the summit. We got back down to the parking lot in the early evening. It will be a day to remember for the ones who did the 8 mile trek up and down the mountain in cold rainy weather. :D

And now, somewhere on that mountain, a Moun10bike coin waits to be found :lol:

Edited by Big JohnP

Glad to report that after 14 days in the wild, the Moun10Bike was finaly uncovered on the Montagne Noire by Digitaline, turned out that the Moun10Bike was randomly placed in GCW080 (R.D. Marr) R99167 Caporal Ronald Douglas Marr geocache. Now Digitaline has already placed the coin back in circulation in his own new cache (that has yet to be approved). :ph34r:

It has now traveled into two caches, hopefully it will travel far and wide before somebody keeps it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3a-a275d2aba741

Here is an interesting cache placed last Thursday with a Moun10bike geocoin for a FTF. Of course, we were just up there the previous weekend ;) so we missed it by a few days. On Thursday when we noticed the cache became active we drove to the parking lot at 8pm. I was really happy to see a car in the parking lot with a geocaching sticker on it so I didn't have to hike the 9 miles in the dark... Congrats to the FTF!

Last year we took one day off from our vacation in Finland to go after a V2 M10B.

In total it was a 300 mile drive on small roads with unadequate maps (just followed the GPS arrow) and we gave us only a 10% chance of finding the coin - because it was placed into the cache some 10 days earlier.

Total driving time was about 8 hours, in an area where fuel cost are some $6 per gallon.

The log is not spectacular: Log

And? Would we do it again? - - - "Of course!" :rolleyes:

Olaf

Glad to report that after 14 days in the wild, the Moun10Bike was finaly uncovered on the Montagne Noire by Digitaline, turned out that the Moun10Bike was randomly placed in GCW080 (R.D. Marr) R99167 Caporal Ronald Douglas Marr geocache. Now Digitaline has already placed the coin back in circulation in his own new cache (that has yet to be approved). :)

It has now traveled into two caches, hopefully it will travel far and wide before somebody keeps it.

An update on the movements: The coin stayed on the mountain and was moved from GCW080 to GCW2WY ".E.W. READ" on May 27th 2006, and then on June 3rd it was found and now currently resides in a private vault, will it ever come back out to travel the wily Tupperwares of the world? Only time will tell... :D

An update on the movements: The coin stayed on the mountain and was moved from GCW080 to GCW2WY ".E.W. READ" on May 27th 2006, and then on June 3rd it was found and now currently resides in a private vault, will it ever come back out to travel the wily Tupperwares of the world? Only time will tell... :)

I love what you've done with your hair.

Here's a good tale.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this :ph34r:<_< We discovered geocaching the week after hiking that whole area when I went home to Peter's Creek to visit with the family. If only we had known. Who knows how long it will be before I get back up there. We had a good time, but a cache would have been icing on the cake. A pic from the valley to the west:

HatchValBreak.jpg

HatcherLakefeet.jpg

Nice pictures thanks for sharing. :P

Bottom picture also looks very much like th basis of one of Bev Doolittle's paintings. I wouldn't doubt if it is. Titled, "Season of the Eagle"

Edited by Colorado Cacher